College Football Thread v12.0

bicranium

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also the sec vs big 10 is so lop sided in favor of the sec

This is true in more ways than you think. Just look at how many bowl games take place in "SEC territory". Hell, Florida even has it's own freaking bowl game (The Gator Bowl). The B1G has throughout history played the toughest bowl schedule of any conference. I'm not making excuses, I'm just pointing out some facts. If the B1G were to rise up and start winning the majority of it's bowl games with some regularity, I would see that truly as a resurgence. We did well as a conference last year, but now we need to show some consistency.

Also, the SEC did have the hurt put on it last season. Specifically the almighty SEC West. What? 1-2 of the teams from that side won their games? At one point some people were putting 2-3 teams from that division alone in the playoffs then a few of them were absolutely slaughtered in their bowl games.

This is true in more ways than you think. Just look at how many bowl games take place in "SEC territory". Hell, Florida even has it's own freaking bowl game (The Gator Bowl). The B1G has throughout history played the toughest bowl schedule of any conference. I'm not making excuses, I'm just pointing out some facts. If the B1G were to rise up and start winning the majority of it's bowl games with some regularity, I would see that truly as a resurgence. We did well as a conference last year, but now we need to show some consistency.

2007 was the year that opened my eyes to how much of a disadvantage the B1G is when it comes to bowl travel.

Illinois played USC in Pasadena

OSU played LSU in New Orleans

Purdue played Central Michigan in Detroit

Penn State played Texas A&M in San Antonio

Michigan played Florida in Orlando

There were a couple more where the B1G had to travel much further than their opponent but no more where the B1G had to face opponents in their home state.

1. The Gator Bowl is in Jacksonville. Has nothing to do with the University of Florida Gators (which is in Gainesville)

2. Bowl games are played in December/January, when it's cold as shit in non-southern states. No schools, players or fans want to watch a bowl game in Cleveland when they can take a vacation down south instead.

Some random thoughts:

- thanks, Tim Beck, for making me lose $100 to jive. Had I won, I was treating everyone in this thread to some BW3's. Now, I get to change my screen name to something of jive's choosing. I hope you're happy.

- things can look one way on paper, but they can look a whole lot different when you play out the games. Last year, after JT goes down, we look done for on paper. What happens? We have perhaps the greatest three game stretch of any team, ever. Seriously, it's definitely the best three game stretch for Ohio State I can remember (2nd place: when we beat Michigan and then Notre Dame at end of 2005 season and then Texas at beginning of 2006 season).

-enter this year: on paper we look to be legendary. Hell, people were talking about this team as being in same league as 1995 Nebraska and 2001 Miami. L-O-fucking-NOPE.

-I'm not really that upset by the loss. Of course, I'm disappointed. But Ohio State has not been good all year long. They just haven't. The only surprising thing, really, is that they made it this far without a loss. So, when they loss, I kind of shrugged and said, "Well, that's what happens to teams that aren't that good - they lose." The end.

-guys, I love the optimism, but there's no way this team is getting into a playoff without all hell breaking loose, like the kind of hell that we haven't seen since 2007. And, besides, would you really want this team - this same floundering, fucking inept offensive team you saw get bullied by Michigan State - in a playoff? Christ, Bama would hold us to under 50 yards of total offense.

-I'm not really that upset by the loss. Of course, I'm disappointed. But Ohio State has not been good all year long. They just haven't. The only surprising thing, really, is that they made it this far without a loss. So, when they loss, I kind of shrugged and said, "Well, that's what happens to teams that aren't that good - they lose." The end.

-guys, I love the optimism, but there's no way this team is getting into a playoff without all hell breaking loose, like the kind of hell that we haven't seen since 2007.

Felt the same way about the loss. All week my non-OSU friends were asking me how nervous or worried I was and I was just like... not at all. They were like, you're that confident? And I responded... no, it's just it's time to put up or shut up. Either they win this weekend and get in the groove in time for a title run or they lose and they didn't deserve a title run. Nothing to worry about, either way OSU will get what they deserve.

And I probably didn't read every single post in here but I don't think a ton of people are talking about OSU getting into the playoff anymore. Need PSU with a QB who pretty much quit this past weekend and has never had even a decent OL in front of him to take down the MSU team that just came into Columbus and held an Urban Meyer coached team to the fewest yards in his career just to make it to the B1G title game. You're exactly right that 2007-esque chaos is the only way.

You are also assuming OSU beats Michigan this weekend. Michigan doesn't have much to play for now but they will want this game. The players on OSU are thinking about them $$$$ in the NFL. They will play with no heart on Friday. I predict Michigan wins by 10

You are also assuming OSU beats Michigan this weekend. Michigan doesn't have much to play for now but they will want this game. The players on OSU are thinking about them $$$$ in the NFL. They will play with no heart on Friday. I predict Michigan wins by 10

I hope we play up to my expectations, but that could very well happen. We all thought MSU would be a different game, we'd play better, etc. and look what happened.

I predict a win by 10, however.

1. The Gator Bowl is in Jacksonville. Has nothing to do with the University of Florida Gators (which is in Gainesville)

2. Bowl games are played in December/January, when it's cold as shit in non-southern states. No schools, players or fans want to watch a bowl game in Cleveland when they can take a vacation down south instead.

Yeah dude, I get it. It doesn't change any of what was posted, however. Like I said, I'm not making excuses, just pointing some things out.

I agree with Tilley, we HAVEN'T looked good all year. QB-geddon did actually do some serious harm to us this year, as well as the fact that we don't have any legit deep threats at WR (Thomas is badass, but he's more of a possession guy). I am hopeful that we can get hype for "the Game", and take out our frustrations on that team up north, but there is no chance we get into the playoff this year, and that's really ok.

Obviously the part of Zeke's quote that made all the headlines was where he said he didn't like the playcalling and asked for more carries. What didn't make headlines was the end of his rant where he said they were going to give them hell in Ann Arbor this weekend.

But yeah, obviously OSU would have to beat Michigan but that doesn't even matter if PSU doesn't beat MSU which they most likely will not.

idk about Auburn, but Georgia should have fired Richt years ago. I'm kind of surprised how Les Miles is suddenly on the hot seat, but as a Florida fan, it bodes well for us.

I can't believe Les is going to loose his job as well. When you look at the whole picture, he is a great coach I mean he won the NC. He is 110-32 overall at LSU, won a NC and turned in some good NFL players. If LSU fires him, they better have someone as good or better coming in.

I have heard that IF Les is gone, there will be a coach coming in that no one thought would leave the school, ie Jimbo. We will see though.

LSU is making a huge mistake. They're basically saying "If you don't win a national title, you're fired." LSU may be a great school with ease of recruiting, but that's a very unrealistic expectation when you play in the toughest division of college football. Most schools would kill for success like LSU's had. I disagreed with Nebraska's firing of Bo, but at least that program had several character/off-the-field issues to defend their dismissal with. LSU doesn't, as far as I know.

LSU is making a huge mistake. They're basically saying "If you don't win a national title, you're fired." LSU may be a great school with ease of recruiting, but that's a very unrealistic expectation when you play in the toughest division of college football. Most schools would kill for success like LSU's had. I disagreed with Nebraska's firing of Bo, but at least that program had several character/off-the-field issues to defend their dismissal with. LSU doesn't, as far as I know.

Well there you have it, the sec is the best and hardest division

OSU is a 3 point underdog to Michigan...

OSU opened as 2.5 point favorite. Line was pushed to Michigan -3 at one point, back to Michigan -1.5 most places. That initial 5.5 point push took place in just over 3 hours after the line came out. That's a lot of movement.

Indiana ran it down Michigan's throats. If Indiana had any semblance of a defense that was a W for them. OSU should be able to do the same and they have a defense. But in the end it's The Game so everything goes out the window.

Ah, it hadn't changed when I posted that. Michigan has only given up I believe 5 passing td's this year. They should've lost to Indiana and Minnesota, but found ways not to. As you said, its "the game" so I fully expect their best performance. I jut hope OSU gives theirs in return.