College Football Thread v12.0

bicranium

Happy to see Herman isn't a one and done. Houston has a ton of visibility and is a great school- they just don't have the facilities to compete at the highest level yet. He'll do well wherever he goes, but my guess is he's waiting for an elite school, such as Texas.

I'm a big Charlie Strong fan, so hopefully that job doesn't open for many moons.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People calling for his head early this season were morons. But if he doesn't do better next season then I'd agree. Need to see 8+ wins. Texas should know pretty early though. They play Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma and Baylor before November.

The feeling in Texas is that this is kind of like a Tyrone Willingham at Notre Dame, or Brady Hoke at UM situation, in that many of the fans/supporters/boosters of UT were not interested in Strong. There are pretty strong racial undertones to it as well. He essentially was gone after THIS year, until he beat OU. So, I think he'll get next year, but if they go 0-for in those big games, don't be surprised if he isn't out before even the end of the season. It's a shame, really, as he has got a TON of young talent on that team.

What do you think about him staying there? I agree - he could basically had his pick of just about any job. Think he might be waiting for a bigger fish to come along? Texas maybe? I'm genuinely curious about it. And I don't disagree with him staying at Houston for another year.

What do you think about him staying there? I agree - he could basically had his pick of just about any job. Think he might be waiting for a bigger fish to come along? Texas maybe? I'm genuinely curious about it. And I don't disagree with him staying at Houston for another year.

I'd echo what Zx2guy19 said. I like that Herman didn't upgrade immediately. He wants to build something of his own before he takes off. The jobs he probably had available to him... USCw, USCe, Miami, Georgia. I think all of those except for USCe would have given him the potential to win a national title at some point. I don't think any of the 3 ended up with as good a coach as Herman (USCw kept their interim guy, Miami got Richt who could never get over the hump at Georgia and Georgia got a first-time HC in Smart).

As for what he's waiting for (and his buyout is tiny compared to what I was thinking it would be if he took that raise at Houston - just $2.5m)... Texas is definitely the prevailing thought. He was a GA there. He's now spent over a decade of his coaching career in the state (Texas Lutheran, Texas, Texas State, Rice, Sam Houston State). UT is the pinnacle so if he has some kind of connection to the state I guess he jumps at that if they come calling. I think in the end he just wasn't going to go anywhere after just one year at Houston so who knows... maybe he takes a job that doesn't look as good as USCw or Georgia or Miami after next season. Or maybe Texas does open up and he ends up there. I know a lot of OSU fans think he's a slam dunk to replace Urban when that time comes but I'm not buying it. Obviously he'd be a great choice but I don't think he has this great connection to Ohio. Born in Cincy but really grew up in California and then as I said he has spent most of his coaching career in Texas.

:lol: at WHY?!

I honestly cannot explain it, but anytime I have nothing better to do on a random week night and catch either of these teams on or even hear their football program mentioned on the radio I secretly think to myself, "oh good, I hope they win/won." I have no affiliation to either school. I have no ties to either school. I've always liked UK b-ball, but I RARELY watch a single game until March as it is.

In response to the posts bout Herman:

Herman is to UT as Urban is to OSU it seems. I don't know as much about his background as some of you, but his ties to TX seem strong. I agree with the above.

Everyone remember to root for Team Chaos today. I think OSU is in with losses by Alabama and Stanford. Unfortunately I think the chances of Alabama losing are somewhere in the 1% range.

Is it possible OSU gets in with JUST a Clemson loss? Maybe. But the threat of UNC sliding into their spot with a W means it's not a guarantee. The guarantee is Bama AND Stanford. Other than that it's a guessing game.

I think the committee DEFINITELY wants an excuse to put Ohio State in the playoff. You have Osborne and Alvarez who, I think, would lobby hard for 2 B10 teams and the strength of the conference this year. I can also hear them saying something like, "And I think there is something to be said about a returning champ having a shot at defending their title."

Maybe just wishful thinking on my part. But the committee is definitely a political process/entity.

I think Ohio State destroys Mich State in a rematch in a neutral site and good weather.

I think an Ohio State - Oklahoma match would be epic. (And remember there's already an early season "rematch" next year.)

I think a Bama - Ohio State rematch would get fantastic ratings and be a great game. Henry is a monster, but so is our defensive line.

Florida has a good team, and a great defense. The problem is their offensive line is below average, their QB is bad, and their kickers are terrible.

I think they are probably going to lose, but it'll be a closer game than everyone is expecting.

I think OSU gets in with an MSU pummeling of Iowa, close Clemson loss to UNC, and a close game between Stanford and USC. Honestly I think the MSU loss is so recent that an absolute dismanteling of Iowa will help OSU.

So are the Browns really about to offer Urban a contract he can't refuse or is that just nonsense?

No. The report was written by some kids who has articles with bad info all the time

Lol i keep getting downvoted on reddit for pointing out the errors to the argument "the committee showed last year that wimming the conference is a huge resume boost". Ohio State beat the spread by 63 points. You absolutely cannot make that basic assumption just based off of OSU last year