Pick me a new DD

Guest GMoney

I have to drive 25K miles a year for work and they give me about $750 a month to do so. I am currently driving a 2014 Accord Sport CVT and it couldn't be more boring to drive. I should have got the manual but its still just downright slow. It is a great car in that the build quality is unreal for a $25K car, it is huge inside, a large trunk, and great MPG.

Musts

1. FUN TO DRIVE

2. White, black, or silver

3. Under $40K

4. 2015 or 2016

5. 4 doors

6. Auto headlights

7. Prox key

8. Auto HVAC

9. HWY MPG 25+

No large wing, flashy chrome rims, or little 4 door car like a fiesta ST. The more understated the better.

I have been eyeing a 2016 Accord Touring but even with the increase in power still worried it will be boring to drive.

My choice number 2 is a 2015-2016 WRX limited. I want a Focus RS but hate the interior, gauges and dash. The rear seat in the focus seems really really small also.

Audi A4 with a tune and downpipe? ATS 2.0T again tune and downpipe? Wait for the 2017 Civic SI?

Anything I'm missing?

If you're ok with FWD, you'd be hard pressed to find a better car than a MK7 GTI with Performance Package (LSD, big brakes, touch more power, etc).

AWD, I'd look at a Golf R.

The problem with Subaru's is the gas mileage. The WRX is rated at 25 highway, and you'd probably have to work at it to get there.

A4 would be a fun car, although 40k for one might be tough.

328i? same problem with a4 though.

Get a TDI Touareg. Shit is on sale due to dieselgate. +400lb/ft of tq with 30+ mpg. And if VW adjusts the tune on the 3.0 TDI for to make you compliant- just go grab the APR tune for $600 and go up to 480 tq.

If you're ok with FWD, you'd be hard pressed to find a better car than a MK7 GTI with Performance Package (LSD, big brakes, touch more power, etc).

AWD, I'd look at a Golf R.

I really liked driving the gti and golf R but the trunk space is almost non existent. I am in sales so my golf bag is in the truck 9 months a year. I have to take the driver out of the bag just to get the bag in let alone other sales crap.

I have a friend with a 14 or 15 wrx limited in the subby blue and it is so sick. He drives it for work and it plays double duty of hauling kids as well. If you haven't gone and test drove one it's worth a shot. Like any turbo car the mpg is all about how you drive. In my turbo rated for 20mpg I've gotten 35, I've also gotten 8.

Get a TDI Touareg. Shit is on sale due to dieselgate. +400lb/ft of tq with 30+ mpg. And if VW adjusts the tune on the 3.0 TDI for to make you compliant- just go grab the APR tune for $600 and go up to 480 tq.

Wow way to think outside the box this is what I needed. I thought that you can't buy them now?

Wow way to think outside the box this is what I needed. I thought that you can't buy them now?

New sales are halted. Used ones are going quite cheap. Nothing like 60k SUV for half off.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-Touareg-TDI-Diesel-Luxury-Navi-Camera-Trailer-Hitch-LOADED-/301821808048?nav=SEARCH

Offer low 30s and see what happens.

Just over 40k brand new for an S60R AWD

Sorry to nitpick about a car only a few people care about but the "S60R" only lived from 2004-2007. The newer ones are called "S60 T5 (or T6) R-Design". The T5 comes with a turbo 4cyl with 250hp/266tq and the T6 comes with a turbo i6 with 325hp/354tq. Nice cars. Volvo pulled the plug on manual transmissions though, so unless there's snow on the ground they're probably kinda boring.

Sorry to nitpick about a car only a few people care about but the "S60R" only lived from 2004-2007. The newer ones are called "S60 T5 (or T6) R-Design". The T5 comes with a turbo 4cyl with 250hp/266tq and the T6 comes with a turbo i6 with 325hp/354tq. Nice cars. Volvo pulled the plug on manual transmissions though, so unless there's snow on the ground they're probably kinda boring.

Sheesh - yes it is now called the "R design" - good catch

Mazda 6 FTW!!!

1. FUN TO DRIVE ===> ZOOM ZOOM Baby!

2. White, black, or silver ===> comes in all three

3. Under $40K ===> fully equipped under $30k (Grand Touring package not available in MT)

4. 2015 or 2016 ===> 2016

5. 4 doors ===> 4 doors

6. Auto headlights ===> Yep

7. Prox key ===> Yep

8. Auto HVAC ===> yep

9. HWY MPG 25+ ===> 25/37 mpg (SKYACTIV-G 2.5L MT)

http://stock.fzautomotive.com/chromeimagegallery/expanded/transparent/640/2016MAC140001_640/2016MAC140001_640_12.png?404=default

http://imganuncios.mitula.net/2016_mazda_mazda6_i_grand_touring_snowflake_white_pearl_mica_in_groveport_ohio_2470010433026088404.jpg

Mazda 6 FTW!!!

1. FUN TO DRIVE ===> ZOOM ZOOM Baby!

2. White, black, or silver ===> comes in all three

3. Under $40K ===> fully equipped under $30k (Grand Touring package not available in MT)

4. 2015 or 2016 ===> 2016

5. 4 doors ===> 4 doors

6. Auto headlights ===> Yep

7. Prox key ===> Yep

8. Auto HVAC ===> yep

9. HWY MPG 25+ ===> 25/37 mpg (SKYACTIV-G 2.5L MT)

Good call. When I bought the accord it was a toss up between these two cars. The ONLY reason I didn't go Mazda then was that the first new Mazda 6 models were only leather interior or some stupid plastic seats. They made me super sweaty and at the time didn't want to spend another 5k in options just to get the leather option.

I will have to drive one of these again now that they have better options. I think this is just a car swap at this point since the power and weight is similar.

185hp 4-cylinder is the only engine option. I fail to see the "zoom zoom"

I've had plenty of fun with just 135hp so I see no reason why 185hp would be insufficient, I'm sure the car is a good bit better to drive than the Accord at least.

It's too bad the Chevy SS is out of your range, would exceed all your criteria save for price.

what the hell is auto HVAC?

Automatically controlled climate system. Basic stuff by today's standards.

185hp 4-cylinder is the only engine option. I fail to see the "zoom zoom"

I agree. I can't see why Mazda would pull the plug on a V6 or even a turbo 4. I like the look, the inside of the newer ones is great but the lack of real power is disappointing.

what the hell is auto HVAC?

Dial a specific temp like your house. In 2015 all cars should have this, I can't believe that we still manufacture cars that you have to screw with the fan speed, diverter valve, or temp setting every time your in the car.