Which car would you buy, and why?

2 Sweet

I am thinking about buying a new daily at some point this year that will actually bring me into the 21st century. Between my Caprice and S10 (both 20+ years old now) I am ready to buy something newer and nicer, especially since I'll be spending a lot of time driving around the city for work, so having something reliable with a decent interior (but still fun to drive) will be important.

Whatever car I get will be driven year round. I'll still have a beater truck to drive on the shittiest days of winter, but I'm sure the new car will still see it's share of bad weather. I'm also planning on keeping the car for at least five years, so I want to make sure I'm happy with whatever I get. Here's what I'm thinking:

04-07 CTS-V. This is probably my first choice, for several reasons. It just seems like the ideal daily driver.

08-09 G8 GT. I'm not sure how I feel about an automatic as my "fun" car, but I guess if it's my daily and not a weekend cruiser, I can deal with it.

10-13 Camaro SS. Would be a 2SS/RS with a stick shift. Not sure if I would enjoy driving it year round though.

04-06 GTO. Probably the least appealing option on the list, but also the cheapest. If I can find a clean, taken care of 6-speed for a good price, why not at least consider it?

So, what are your thoughts? I'm curious to hear CR's opinions.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically anything LS is what you are looking for.

Your only questions are:

1) Do I need/want 4 doors?

No - see a Yes - see Question 2

a. Big spender?

* Yes - Camaro

* No - GTO

2)Do I need Stick?

Yes - CTS-V

No - G8

Still not sure? Corvette.

budget? seems all your choices are american, would you consider something non domestic?

Budget is 20k max. I'm a big GM guy, and a big LS fan. That being said, i would consider any manufacturer.

Basically anything LS is what you are looking for.

Your only questions are:

1) Do I need/want 4 doors?

No - see a Yes - see Question 2

a. Big spender?

* Yes - Camaro

* No - GTO

2)Do I need Stick?

Yes - CTS-V

No - G8

Still not sure? Corvette.

Well said. You pretty much nailed it :lol:

does it have to be a v8 American car? Thinking something like a low mile Subaru Legacy GT with a stick would be a better daily all rounder.

something like this:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/5394916943.html

If it has to be v8 american stick then 06-07 CTSv or try tracking down one of the 700 G8 GXPs made in stick.

You could also go looking for a used PPV Caprice as I am starting to see them come to market. no stick so it is comparable to G8 GT but less mileage for the money.:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/5346589613.html

having driven 6 and 8 variants of the mustang, camaro, and challenger if I had to pick one of those to daily drive with a stick I would pick the challenger. It is far and away the most useable of the bunch as a regular car. not a big fan of the chrysler interiors but it beats the 1980's limo trim of the camaro and some of the visibility issues. also Dat pistol Grip shifter doe. It sounds like you want to keep it GM and I kind of get it coming from a GM family myself but really you are only hurting yourself by not considering other, more fun, more useable cars.

I would stray from the G8. The L76 has displacement on demand, and it has issues (Google L76 stuck lifters and you'll get pages of hits). Plus, automatic.. psh. Sitting in traffic can suck with a manual, but for the quick sprints it's worth it.

^ Solid points.

It sounds like you want to keep it GM and I kind of get it coming from a GM family myself but really you are only hurting yourself by not considering other, more fun, more useable cars.

^ This is good advice, I appreciate it. I am trying to keep an open mind, which is why I'll consider just about anything. I do like the GT Legacys so I'll probably look into those too. But even if I ignore my GM bias, I really do like the four cars I mentioned and I know I would be happy with any one of them.

I was thinking 335i

^ This is easily one of my favorite BMWs ever made, as far as exterior styling. I'm just not sure how well they fit into my price range, and I sure as hell wouldn't look forward to big $$$ maintenance down the road that you'll get with most German cars (yes, I'm fully aware my ignorance is showing).

Of course, I'm going to say '06-'07 CTS-V...

I would offer that - as a newer DD - the '10-'13 Camaro might be a smart pick, based on your wants/needs. Seems like people that own them enjoy them. I'd like to drive one someday...

The GTO was the go-to, GM-focused V8 RWD 4-seater - but the Camaro has proven over the last 5 years to be a great platform. Looks like some nice ones under $20k. Easier/cheaper to finance too if you're going that angle.

Crazy thought, but would you consider the V6 Camaro? 305hp, 30mpg...

With my 4cyl BMW, I've come to appreciate that I'd rather have a stick-shift and an engaging platform to drive over stonking power and a slushbox automatic.

Do you absolutely need 4 seats? A low-mile C5 Corvette would be a very reliable, fun-to-drive platform, and the rear hatch holds over 21cu.ft. of stuff (more than a modern Buick sedan).

^ This is easily one of my favorite BMWs ever made, as far as exterior styling. I'm just not sure how well they fit into my price range, and I sure as hell wouldn't look forward to big $$$ maintenance down the road that you'll get with most German cars (yes, I'm fully aware my ignorance is showing).

you could look for a 335xi sedan with a stick. not as rare as you think but still pretty rare. Most of the AWD stick 335s are coupes. 2010 MY and older should be in your price range.

My mother has an 06 325xi with a stick and I can tell you that the car has been fairly reliable. She got it with 18K on the clock and it has about 70K on it now and it has been mostly trouble free. The one big issue she has had with it has been the dual mass flywheel and clutch. Apparently in 5% of the stick E90 cars the dual mass flywheel will go bad and the flywheel from BMW was $2K alone. she had a belt tensioner go bad as well but that was a minor issue. I've driven the car a lot including a road trip to boston a couple of years ago and the only thing I didn't like was how notchy the shifter is and how springy the clutch is. The shifter feels like you are breaking something going into every gear (it's tight) and the clutch is just a by product of the dual mass flywheel. my E30, E34s, and 2002tii were all positive without all the tension the bmw has. my mother says she prefers it so it is a matter of taste.

I don't know what issues the 335 turbo motors have so may want to look into that. I think there was something about the turbos going bad and they are cast into the manifold and not cheap/easy to replace.

have a look at this:

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/657001757/overview/

And no, I don't want to buy some pussy Corolla or something like that. Sure it would be the smartest and most practical choice, but what's the fun in that? :D

Corollas suck balls but you could get something like a loaded Mazda3 with a manual. They're fun to drive and you can actually wring it out a bit when you're driving around the city for work, which is your stated purpose, unlike a CTS-V which you'll constantly be driving at 10% of it's actual abilities.

I daily'd the crap out of my 05 CTSv and loved it - I miss it every day. That being said most of them I looked at needed motor mounts and several of the bushings replaced. Cadillac wanted a firm but still luxurious ride and the rubber bushings just give out. I would say I paid about 750.00 over the few years I owned it fixing those. Of course many have probably been done as well and you could save a bunch if you do it yourself. Mine felt new afterwards.

I have a 2011 Camaro SS/RS Conertible now and in my opinion it is not a great daily. It will do it of course but it is the visability for me that makes it less than ideal. Being a convertible it is no issue with the top down :). I will say it rides really well, handles great, is comfortable (for front seat), and fast. I will also say they are known to be very reliable. I think the criticism of the interior is overblown as I think it is a nice place to spend some time but it is clearly not a luxury car or BMW.

Clay - you can drive mine anytime you want once the winter breaks.

On another note, I considered the Challenger and agree it is a "more comfortable" cruiser but it did not feel "special" in any way from behind the wheel. The Camaro does - I cannot really explain that. I suppose how low it sits and the chopped Windows that hurt visibility gives it that unique feel. You sit upright in the Challenger and in the Mustang too. In the Camaro you kind of lean back - I like that, but it is my extra, fun car not my DD.

On another note, I considered the Challenger and agree it is a "more comfortable" cruiser but it did not feel "special" in any way from behind the wheel. The Camaro does - I cannot really explain that.

I think it's the dashboard. The challenger dash up until this year was a flat panel with a couple of white faced gauges recessed into it. Not the most pleasing to the eye. The mustang is way better because it has that vintage 60's font that is impossible to read at a glance but depending on the trim and the year it isn't that great to look at either unless you have a really interesting trim panel running down the dash face. The center pod always looks rental car spec if you have one.

The camaro dash though - the ZL1 for sure looks great but that's as high end as it gets. Even in base spec those square pods and the center controls are just visually more interesting.

For a daily stay away from the GTO and the G8. It is getting really hard to find some parts, and if you find them the prices are crazy.

CTS-V due to overall comfort for a daily.

Camaro would be a close second if you have no kids.

Newer mustang would also be nice.