Which car would you buy, and why?

2 Sweet

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't buy a used turbocharged car as a daily, especially an expensive bmw. I know every car has their issues but that's really rolling the dice imo.

^ Another great point.

Of course, I'm going to say '06-'07 CTS-V...

Crazy thought, but would you consider the V6 Camaro?

Do you absolutely need 4 seats? A low-mile C5 Corvette would be a very reliable, fun-to-drive platform, and the rear hatch holds over 21cu.ft. of stuff (more than a modern Buick sedan).

1. What is different about the 06/07 V? Upgraded diff?

2. If I get a Camaro, it will most certainly be the LS3.

3. I don't NEED four seats, but I'm not sure how practical a C5 would be for driving every day. I'm also not sure it would even fit in my single car garage, as my Caprice only clears the opening by a couple inches on each side.

I think the criticism of the interior is overblown as I think it is a nice place to spend some time but it is clearly not a luxury car or BMW.

I actually really like the interior on the 5th gen Camaro. Keep in mind, any car I buy will have a much nicer interior than what I'm used to. Of all the cars I've owned, I think the nicest interior I ever had was a '99 Buick Regal GS. Yes, I'm being serious, as sad as that is :lol:

For a daily stay away from the GTO and the G8. It is getting really hard to find some parts, and if you find them the prices are crazy.

This is something I hadn't considered. Another great point.

04-05 CTSv is LS6

06-07 CTSv is LS2

They are rated very similarly but are pretty different animals. There are supporters / detractors on both sides. There is no argument that the differential was stronger on 06 and 07 cars but many 04 and 05 have been upgraded. That is about it!

04-05 CTSv is LS6

06-07 CTSv is LS2

They are rated very similarly but are pretty different animals. There are supporters / detractors on both sides. There is no argument that the differential was stronger on 06 and 07 cars but many 04 and 05 have been upgraded. That is about it!

Ah yes, of course. I would be satisfied with either the LS6 or LS2, so I'm not worried about that.

Personally there is not enough difference in them to disqualify one or the other - pick the nicest 04-07 in my opinion. The rear diff is only a problem if you launch it hard and get axle hop. The 04/05 rear end is weak, the 06/07 stronger but still prone to detonation if you abuse it.

Contrary to everyone dissing the G8, I actually own one. 80k miles, only issue was an alternator going bad. No "rattles" as another member says. The FTI billet converter and a good tune will make you think twice about ever driving a stick again. DOD is easily removed, and gives you a chance to change the cam for a big power gain. My car has ran a 12.1 with a 1.7x 60ft and I still alternate daily'ing it along with my truck with no issues. Made 30+ passes this summer and drove thousands of miles with 0 issues.

OP, if you are interested in driving a modified G8 PM me when weather clears up.

I looked at all your other choices before buying my G8, and I drive customer cars daily.

GTO- suck ass rear end, shitty interior, can't fit a big tire.

V1- Extremely dated interior/exterior styling. Eat rear diffs and bushings for dinner.

5th gen- piss poor visibility. Ugly ass interior "retro" styling

Personally there is not enough difference in them to disqualify one or the other - pick the nicest 04-07 in my opinion. The rear diff is only a problem if you launch it hard and get axle hop. The 04/05 rear end is weak, the 06/07 stronger but still prone to detonation if you abuse it.

I sold mine because of this. I had a 2006 and I was not impressed. If you get happy with the clutch the rear end hops BAD. The only real solution is the cobra rear end which is a ~4k upgrade to do yourself. I would never buy another, but the only way I would recommend one is you found one that already had this upgraded. They are generally $1000 more than ones without and still in your price range.

I mean, the MBZ is a great car for the money, but the same guy is selling a car that the OP actually listed as wanting.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123853

Contrary to everyone dissing the G8, I actually own one. 80k miles, only issue was an alternator going bad. No "rattles" as another member says. The FTI billet converter and a good tune will make you think twice about ever driving a stick again. DOD is easily removed, and gives you a chance to change the cam for a big power gain. My car has ran a 12.1 with a 1.7x 60ft and I still alternate daily'ing it along with my truck with no issues. Made 30+ passes this summer and drove thousands of miles with 0 issues.

OP, if you are interested in driving a modified G8 PM me when weather clears up.

I looked at all your other choices before buying my G8, and I drive customer cars daily.

GTO- suck ass rear end, shitty interior, can't fit a big tire.

V1- Extremely dated interior/exterior styling. Eat rear diffs and bushings for dinner.

5th gen- piss poor visibility. Ugly ass interior "retro" styling

Agreed, just hit 100k in mine, and I have no rattles inside or out. Interior has held up well, although I take care of it. Only non routine maintenance I've had to do is the control arms, and gm does those for free until 120k.

Not sure which parts are hard to find or expensive either. I follow the forums pretty close.

2 cents

Have you looked at Audi's? In my expirence they are reliable as long as the regular maintenance is done. I was thinking for my next car purchase I want a b7 a4 2.0t. With a couple things and a tune they are right around 300hp, come with a 6 speed (and available awd if that tickles your fancy), and you can get in one for around 15k with <100k miles. One thing that sucks though is they are direct injection and do require valve cleaning now and then.

Going to chime in on the V here.

Bought my 04 new. Its now 2016 and I still own it. Am only now starting to consider replacements. I have never owned a car as long as I've owned this one, up until this I owned a car ~2-3 years tops and swapped em out for the new shiny.

Drove this car every single day to work for 12 years, its still my daily, and has never let me down. It just served my duties so well I never felt compelled to upgrade.

For me cost-wise really its only been: brakes and tires, brakes and tires. I did wear out one front shock and replaced the front pair for that. The rear diff is just now starting to exhibit a little whine, and I probably should touch the bushings, and the V badges have faded abit, but the thing is just a dependable workhorse. 125k miles, outside year round since my boy was born (8yrs now).

If you'd ask me I'd get that usage out of a Z06 Corvette engine'd car 12 years ago I'd have looked at you sideways.

Anecdotal yes, but I thought I'd throw that in there. If you're looking for a cheap year round DD you could do far worse.

Going to chime in on the V here.

Bought my 04 new. Its now 2016 and I still own it. Am only now starting to consider replacements. I have never owned a car as long as I've owned this one, up until this I owned a car ~2-3 years tops and swapped em out for the new shiny.

Drove this car every single day to work for 12 years, its still my daily, and has never let me down. It just served my duties so well I never felt compelled to upgrade.

For me cost-wise really its only been: brakes and tires, brakes and tires. I did wear out one front shock and replaced the front pair for that. The rear diff is just now starting to exhibit a little whine, and I probably should touch the bushings, and the V badges have faded abit, but the thing is just a dependable workhorse. 125k miles, outside year round since my boy was born (8yrs now).

If you'd ask me I'd get that usage out of a Z06 Corvette engine'd car 12 years ago I'd have looked at you sideways.

Anecdotal yes, but I thought I'd throw that in there. If you're looking for a cheap year round DD you could do far worse.

http://i.giphy.com/IcBwdDf9H88lW.gif

German Performance cars should only be purchased if you're absolutely lovestruck. Thats my take at least.

Personally I'd go with the CTS-V, especially since you're going to be driving it heavily and during poor weather conditions. If you've never owned a Cadillac before they are cushy, plush and extremely comfortable. Also they respond well to a wide range of conditions. While slightly more powerful, the same cannot be said for the Camaro. Last but not least, that V-Grille is just gangster.

If you do end up getting the V do yourself a huge favor and order a FSM (Factory Service Manual) set directly from GM. They are worth their weight in gold :thumbup:

As for the Diff problems, I remember them having all kinds of issues when they first came out ('04-06). I maintained a constant presence on the Cadillac boards (Caddyinfo / CadillacOwners) around that time frame and can recall all kinds of people bitching about Diff's going out within 40k miles. As I recall GM gave people absolutely no-end-of-shit about replacing them under warranty. For some reason I thought they fixed the Diff Issue around '07? EDIT:

The rear diff is only a problem if you launch it hard and get axle hop. The 04/05 rear end is weak, the 06/07 stronger but still prone to detonation if you abuse it.

From what I remember the 04/05 rear ends were just pure-junk. Nothing but complaints when they first came out. I'd stay away, far, far away.

And it's a Crying Shame the XLR-V wasn't offered with a Manual. Those are slick cars you almost never see anymore.

I sold mine because of this. I had a 2006 and I was not impressed. If you get happy with the clutch the rear end hops BAD. The only real solution is the cobra rear end which is a ~4k upgrade to do yourself. I would never buy another, but the only way I would recommend one is you found one that already had this upgraded. They are generally $1000 more than ones without and still in your price range.

Did you attempt any mods to address the issue, aside from swapping the rear end?

Looks like some people are having luck with new Axles:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/718210-2005-cts-v-wheel-hop.html

I am not a fan of daily driving any of those. You saw my Impala and here's why I went with that, obviously I'm a big fan of Chevy, it's easy to drive everyday, and it's not a slouch. Being FWD it's all weather nive, having a 300hp V6 makes it get out of it's own way, and it's not something cool enough for me to want to keep in a garage.

I considered all the cars you mentioned, but the biggest reason for not buying one is that I love my cars and don't need the stress of tearing up something cool. It's also hard to know how something 10 years old has been taken care of, and for those cars the price for a 10 year old car is high for me. You can plan on working on any of those much more then a 2-3 year old car to keep it really nice. The Holden derived cars are very cool, but not as easy to keep as nice when they have very specific parts and trim parts will not be easy.

In the end you have to do whatever makes you happy, and I drove a beater so my toys could sit but I'm finally at a point where I can have a nicer daily. If your toy and daily have to be the same thing you'll have to decide what compromises you can live with.