Which car would you buy, and why?

2 Sweet

Lots of unique opinions in here so far.

To say a CTS-V wouldn't be a good daily is insane. That's exactly what they're for. An everyday, 4dr Corvette.

A set of winter tires for $500 and every single choice would be fine, even enjoyable in the snow.

I drove my mustang in the snow for the first time today, stock car, lowering springs, cheap 19" winter tires, and it was a tank. Love it.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a daily stay away from the GTO and the G8. It is getting really hard to find some parts, and if you find them the prices are crazy.

CTS-V due to overall comfort for a daily.

Camaro would be a close second if you have no kids.

Newer mustang would also be nice.

Luckily there some aftermarket places that are making parts for them now so its not as bad.

I have an 04 gto with 125k on it, no rattles or anything. The main issue with these cars are that alot of the suspension bushings are junk. They can be replaced with poly mounts though and wont break. The rear ends arent as weak as some make them out to be. Although yes if you abuse a stick car you may be rebuilding it.

Never driven a gen 1 v, but heard good things.

Driven a g8 and honeslty liked my gto better. It rode well enough, but i thought the gto interior was far better. Looking at the dash, i thought i had gotten in my buddies 04 gp.

Love driving the camaros. The interiors are pretty cool to look at, but they are a biotch to see out of.

I am not a fan of daily driving any of those. You saw my Impala and here's why I went with that, obviously I'm a big fan of Chevy, it's easy to drive everyday, and it's not a slouch. Being FWD it's all weather nive, having a 300hp V6 makes it get out of it's own way, and it's not something cool enough for me to want to keep in a garage.

I considered all the cars you mentioned, but the biggest reason for not buying one is that I love my cars and don't need the stress of tearing up something cool. It's also hard to know how something 10 years old has been taken care of, and for those cars the price for a 10 year old car is high for me. You can plan on working on any of those much more then a 2-3 year old car to keep it really nice. The Holden derived cars are very cool, but not as easy to keep as nice when they have very specific parts and trim parts will not be easy.

In the end you have to do whatever makes you happy, and I drove a beater so my toys could sit but I'm finally at a point where I can have a nicer daily. If your toy and daily have to be the same thing you'll have to decide what compromises you can live with.

Yeah, the plan all along was to get a nice/fun car to be my good weather toy. I don't mind driving old beaters for a daily, but if I'm driving around town for work like I will be a lot this year, I would prefer something newer for peace of mind. At some point down the road I'll hopefully be at a point where I can afford a toy AND a nice newer daily, but in the meantime I'm willing to compromise and have a car that doubles as both.

That being said, as long as I still have a beater that is running well, I'll probably still drive that a lot. Especially on days when there's salt on the roads. I'm really enjoying the S10 I got from you, in fact I've been driving it every day since fixing it. I'm obviously not banking on it to last a long time, but when it blows up I'll just buy another beater to replace it. Right now I just feel like I have two beaters and no fun cars, so something has to change.

Lots of unique opinions in here so far.

To say a CTS-V wouldn't be a good daily is insane. That's exactly what they're for. An everyday, 4dr Corvette.

A set of winter tires for $500 and every single choice would be fine, even enjoyable in the snow.

I drove my mustang in the snow for the first time today, stock car, lowering springs, cheap 19" winter tires, and it was a tank. Love it.

Another reason why I love CR is hearing several different perspectives from a lot of intelligent people. Gives me a lot to consider. :cool:

I'm pretty sure I saw this on autotrader for 13k....

http://www.baumannchryslerjeepdodge.com/used/Cadillac/2004-Cadillac-CTS-V-Fremont-oh-b9370acb0a0e0a1770156e7b176b2ef8.htm

I would go take a look at it, but unfortunately I'm not wanting to buy anything quite yet. Not a big fan of silver either. But it's nice knowing these cars are falling into the mid/low teens (assuming it's nice in person and not a POS)

I'm glad you're enjoying the S10, it deserved some more use before it was put out to pasture.

I think you could daily any of those cars, especially with snow tires. Just not how I want to do it. I guess out of those cars I see the best arguement being for the CTS-V. Just inspect those good, diff bushings, engine mounts, and recalls all need to be good.

I also want to say that I don't think a GTO or G8 rattle anymore then any other car that's ragged out. I've ridden in several 4th gen f-bodys, and a lot of them rattle, my car has been babbied and it doesn't. The same can be said for many member's cars. Just drive more then one of anything you buy so you can tell how it's been treated.

Another reason why I love CR is hearing several different perspectives from a lot of intelligent people. Gives me a lot to consider. :cool:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r247/A4SHO/Mobile%20Uploads/20160112_113229_zps43gkkuzw.jpg

I think you could daily any of those cars, especially with snow tires. Just not how I want to do it.

Fair enough.

I miss driving my Camaro but am glad it can sit in storage under a cover through this stuff. The Suburban is way more fun in this stuff :)

My car wont be back out til spring now that salt is down. But the tacoma makes light work of the snow and its a hell of a fun time.

Have owned the G8, V, and a couple of 335's.

G8 would be my first choice. All around great car, while I haven't driven it in winter most owners do and they seem to do well. The weight ratio on the car is pretty close to 50/50 from what I recall. The styling seems more unique than the other choices. The Bmw's are everywhere and the first gen V's are outdated.

Honestly I felt like the 335 was a females car, actually it was my wifes. It might as well not have a backseat, no one could sit behind me when driving and I'm only 6'1". It handled well but it seemed boring when it came down to power. There is no way I would want one out of warranty, and the turbos seem to be a common issue.

you're comparing a 3 series to cars the size of 5 series and condemning the 3 series...

They make a 535/545/550 etc with manuals too.

The 5 is 10" longer and only 3" wider than the 3, not much of a difference IMO. Plus the 535 or 550 are probably out of his desired price range. If they are in the range then I would bet they wouldn't be under warranty.

If you drive the four vehicles mentioned, the 335 isn't like the other 3 at all.

Plus the 535 or 550 are probably out of his desired price range. If they are in the range then I would bet they wouldn't be under warranty.

Yep.

If I made more money and was looking to get a nice German performance car, I would buy/lease one with a warranty.

The 5 is 10" longer and only 3" wider than the 3, not much of a difference IMO. Plus the 535 or 550 are probably out of his desired price range. If they are in the range then I would bet they wouldn't be under warranty.

If you drive the four vehicles mentioned, the 335 isn't like the other 3 at all.

Except its a much larger car. Specifically in the dimension you complained about in the 3 series.

Also, there is 145 535i's on Autotrader under 22k and under 75k miles.

A 3 series wouldn't have had a warranty either.

Just giving information here, I wouldn't buy either the 3 or 5 either, but then again, I wouldn't buy any of the cars he's looking at. MAYBE a Camaro.

Did you attempt any mods to address the issue, aside from swapping the rear end?

Looks like some people are having luck with new Axles:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/718210-2005-cts-v-wheel-hop.html

Everything is hit or miss. Later diff, axels, bushings, BMR suspension stuff, etc - some people say it helps some people it does nothing for. The only real fix is the cobra swap.