Columbus motor Speedway final season 2016

mrs.cos

Apparently the city of Obetz is buying the speedway to expand on a parka

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2016/02/01/0201-cms-sale.html

Columbus Motor Speedway publicist and co-owner Jeff Nuckles confirmed tonight that the Village of Obetz is close to purchasing the 48 acres on which the track sits off Williams Road.

Nuckles said that the track and village have agreed in principle to a price and that only approval by the village council is needed for the deal to be completed. The council’s next meeting is Feb. 11.

The village is interested in the property in order to expand Memorial Park, which is south of the one-third-mile racetrack. The Columbus Crew has a practice facility on the premises.

Nuckles, who owns the track with his brothers, Jerry and John Nuckles, said there will be 24 weeks of racing in 2016. John Nuckles opened the track for motorcycle racing 69 years ago. The Nuckles felt compelled to announce discussions of a possible sale on Facebook “out of respect for the competitors."

“We were getting so many calls saying everybody was talking about it," Jeff Nuckles said. “I know I haven’t slept in a week. This is heart-wrenching. This is so hard. I have some special events in mind to make it an epic final season."

Nuckles said building a new track at another location would not be feasible financially.

mznidar@dispatch.com

@markznidar

1 less place :SMH:

We're working to secure new places for UFO, and already have some great opportunities.

It's crazy to see some of the pictures of it in its prime, quite a place. Too bad the interest, and upkeep hasn't kept up.

As hard as it is to open a track these days, just look at that Cooper project, when a track is closing it's really sad. I have been going there with my family since I was 2-3, so I remember when it was more popular. This just sucks, I sure as hell don't care about the fucking soccer practice field behind it.

Buying a racetrack to put in a soccer practice field. Columbus area LOL!

Many good times had at CMS, your cheap rates and convenient location will be missed. Even if the tractor with the sweeper wouldn't start and we had to race on goose shit.