Fact or Crap - LS3 question

caseyctsv

I will be getting my car out of storage here in the next few weeks to get it ready for spring. I was told on the first start up I could press the clutch and accelerator to the floor and the starter will spin the engine to build oil pressure but won't start. It sounds like a good idea to prevent a "dry" start but does that really work?

WOT when cranking disables fuel injectors on GM cars. As dry starts go, it's still a dry cranking event if the engine doesn't fire. Stop reading too far into it and start it. The only way to prevent a dry start would be to pull the oil galley plug and pressurise the system manually.

WOT when cranking disables fuel injectors on GM cars. As dry starts go, it's still a dry cranking event if the engine doesn't fire. Stop reading too far into it and start it. The only way to prevent a dry start would be to pull the oil galley plug and pressurise the system manually.

This is what I was thinking. Turn the damn key and start it up, drive it like you stole it and don't look back.

Thanks guys - long and short of it is I meant to go up and start it a few times this winter and ever got around to it. Wanted to take any precautions I should. I have all new fluids for it.

Unless you start it up every couple of days, it's best to let it sit all winter. After 1-1.5 weeks it'll be a dry start (in terms of oil film) anyway.

Unless you start it up every couple of days, it's best to let it sit all winter. After 1-1.5 weeks it'll be a dry start (in terms of oil film) anyway.

This. After a week or so a dry start is a dry start as far as the engine knows. For winter storage its best to just let it sit the whole time and put a tender on the battery.

Best thing to do IMHO is take out all of the plugs and disable the fuel so it's not washing down the cylinders. Roll it over for about 15 seconds after you see oil pressure.

With the plugs out there is no pressure on most of the bearings.

This is a good idea if you feel the need, just remember your factory gauges don't work when cranking so just an educated guess on crank time.

I vote its crap. Make sure you actually have oil in the car and the battery is up to par. If those are good, fire that thing up.

My import garbage sits all winter with 50 weight in it and I don't have any issues. Surely the LS3 which is built by Zeus himself wont have any issues.

I fired it up this year only because I had to take it down to the master melter's workshop. Even then, it was 25 degrees on 25% Ethanol. It had no problems firing right up because I keep the battery on a battery tender.

I see your concern cause its a nice car. But it is a Camaro not a Ferrari. :lol:

Believe me, I get it. My biggest concern on the whole car is the valve springs letting go. If you read some of the stuff people do to their cars in storage it is crazy. I am happy to know that there is no real need to do any of the stuff which is why I asked. There are some that have said I signed a death warrant for the car by not prepping and maintaining the car in storage. It seems that is way overblown. Plan is now to put the battery back in and, once it is up to temp, let it rip.

I have always stored my "toy" cars for the winter - not because they are worth so much or anything but because it makes it more special to me when the weather is nice. It is like a new car every time I drive it. Plus I am in a position where I can afford a DD that does that duty much better.

Believe me, I get it. My biggest concern on the whole car is the valve springs letting go. If you read some of the stuff people do to their cars in storage it is crazy. I am happy to know that there is no real need to do any of the stuff which is why I asked. There are some that have said I signed a death warrant for the car by not prepping and maintaining the car in storage. It seems that is way overblown. Plan is now to put the battery back in and, once it is up to temp, let it rip.

My dad had a highly modified 85 GSXR in storage in AZ, I asked him to take it out and he said we can't he had filled the entire engine with kerosine to preserve it I guess. Don't how much truth there was in that statement but yeah I get it too.

I am going to. It has 20k on the cam and double springs. Most say you can make it 30-40k on the springs so I should be good through this year but was worried, based on reading some theories, that leaving the motor in the same position for an extended period of time can cause the springs to fail. It's all good, I got the info I needed here. This is the first time I have stored a car remote from where a I live where I couldn't fire it up every few weeks. Just checking if there is anything I should do.