Any places looking for a GM tech?

Cordell

I'd prefer a GM dealer, not going back to Lash or Dave Gill.

I miss working on cars. Yes my back hurts, but it's doable. I have all but 2 GM certs, ASE master with A1-A9 and L1. Drivability and electrical are my strong points, but I do everything including hybrids. I have a few tickets on my license so if the company is strict it won't work.

Worst case I'll stay at Jeg's as it is a nice place, but I'm not happy sitting at a desk. I might consider other positions but all my experience is being the tech.

Have you thought about wrenching on the side? That way if your back is bothering you, you wouldn't have to take on any work until it is feeling better.

Two things with that, the schedule they have me on at Jeg's doesn't leave me much time to pound the pavement about a job let alone side work, and two I still be working at Jeg's on the phone.

Cars is what I know, there aren't many choices that aren't wrenching that's why I tried Jeg's in the first place. I miss fixing problems, diagnosis was my favorite thing to do because when it works right again it's very satisfying.

Edited by Cordell

A little off topic but what dealerships would you rec. for service on my AWD TBSS? I have a drivetrain issue that I need diagnosed. I have the squeals, grinding, clunking that probably indicate wheel hubs, cv shafts, carrier housing or front differential but the symptoms are not consistent and shops keep saying everything is OK but I know something is wrong. The reason I haven't just started replacing the possible culprits is because I have an aftermarket warranty that covers them.

A little off topic but what dealerships would you rec. for service on my AWD TBSS? I have a drivetrain issue that I need diagnosed. I have the squeals, grinding, clunking that probably indicate wheel hubs, cv shafts, carrier housing or front differential but the symptoms are not consistent and shops keep saying everything is OK but I know something is wrong. The reason I haven't just started replacing the possible culprits is because I have an aftermarket warranty that covers them.

Is this real life?

Dude get FAR FAR AWAY from flat rate. You know you don't like it don't go back to it. You just missed out on a equipment mechanic job. Go to the city, get paid hourly and lose the stress.

This. You'll most likely better benefits as well in a .gov position as well.

?? Idk anything about getting a job like that, care to inform?

It's just how you think about your skills and apply them to the job.

You're obviously mechanically skilled. The number of GM certs you have shows you can learn new systems quickly and apply the knowledge.

Pretty much everyone they bring in will need fully trained on their systems anyhow since they are pretty specialized.

It's just how you think about your skills and apply them to the job.

You're obviously mechanically skilled. The number of GM certs you have shows you can learn new systems quickly and apply the knowledge.

Pretty much everyone they bring in will need fully trained on their systems anyhow since they are pretty specialized.

That's cool, just not something I've been exposed to. What are jobs like that usually called? Good places to find stuff like that? I'll have to look into that further.

That's cool, just not something I've been exposed to. What are jobs like that usually called? Good places to find stuff like that? I'll have to look into that further.

Maintence tech. Equipment service tech. Manufacturing tech. Stay away from "facilities" that's HVAC and building type stuff.

You will see things like electric motors, hydraulics, robotics and PLCs which stands for programmable logic controllers. They are what control all the automation. There are many manufacturers so you won't look bad next to someone who is super proficient at Omron if the company has Mitsubishi. Robots are just a balancer and 6 motors, its cake and everything else is just bigger than whats on a car.

I can teach you PLCs in a day and give you a rundown of things so you look good in an interview. Factories like abbot labs, Honda or automated warehouses like the Kroger one are always hiring.

I would also recommend looking at some other jobs for the mechanically inclined. I'm not sure how old you are, but it's never too late to try something new, do not get stuck in this mentality.

I wish you'd have posted about this a week ago. I'm 32 and just got my test scheduled for the elevator mechanics Union. $43 an hour and full health care and pension company paid. Look into it.

Point is, there are a lot of options out there you don't usually think about, and quality tradesmen willing to work are in short supply.