Buying Car out of state question

Franchi

Going to be buying a car out of state from Florida and having it transported up here. Only ever bought one car out of state and it was from a dealership and this is from an private seller this time so curious to see how the process works from others who have done it.

Mail the guy a certified cashiers check, he deposits it, and gets the title notarized and signed at his local bank / notary and mails me the title and once the check clears, have the auto transport company pick up the car?

My only concern is that the guy will have both the money, car and title at one point in time. Don't suspect him or anything, he's been awesome to deal with so far but at same time, wanna CYA if something should go south.

Or get him to write a bill of sale before sending the money?

Like I said, just not sure on the correct process to do it so any assistance is appreciated!

/\/\

If I was picking the car up in person, thats exactly how I would do it and have done so in the past.

But in this case, I wont be picking up in person as having the car delivered to me.

If he has a lean on the vehicle you should be dealing with his bank directly. Call them and tell them what's up and wire them the money and have THEM send you the title directly. They should do all the leg work for you and then once the lean is cleared and he has his funds, then the shipper takes the car and he never sees the title again. You should have a bill of sale and all documentation from the bank to protect yourself.

If there is no lean then you are at the mercy of the seller if you send him money.

Sounds very sketchy. You need to have some sort of failsafe for your money. I've done a few out of state purchases, you just need to always deal with the title and money in person. It's a little extra to have to do so, but the security is worth it. I'd rather spend $200 on a plane ticket than lose thousands to some scam artist.

I'd say to have the guy notarize and send you the title, then you send the money. He has the car a thousand miles away and you have the title, with no trace of money movement (yet of course). He would win if you never sent the money, and you would win if he never sent the car (you could put title in to your name and show a trail of money).

My goal would be to never let 1 person have all 3 items (car,title,check) When the check is delivered the car is also picked up. it's a certified check so while not 100% fool proof it's pretty good. Plus he can call the bank and confirm those funds are frozen in your account. This way he has the check and title, you have the car.

The best way would be if you could pay the lien holder directly, give him a copy of the check and take the car but I doubt that would fly with him.

Edit: with a clear title I'd see if the transporter will deliver the check for you when they take the car, he can keep the title til the check clears then mails the title.

He said his house caught on fire and that he'd get a new title made up asap.

He said once he cashes my check and has all my money into his account that he'll send the car

He said once he watches the video of my wife getting plowed by Jamal that he'll delete it right away and then send the car.

If he has a lean on the vehicle you should be dealing with his bank directly. Call them and tell them what's up and wire them the money and have THEM send you the title directly. They should do all the leg work for you and then once the lean is cleared and he has his funds, then the shipper takes the car and he never sees the title again. You should have a bill of sale and all documentation from the bank to protect yourself.

If there is no lean then you are at the mercy of the seller if you send him money.

you mean Lien? :lolguy:

When I purchased a car out of state I sent my payment with the transport company. They handed that over for the title, loaded the car and brought both back to me.
This is the way to do it! Have you not seen or driven the car yet?

I would myself fly down do everything in person and then drive the car to a transport company's office or pick up area and fly back. If planed right it would be a same day round trip and depending on where in Florida it wouldn't be that much. Seller might even pay half just to have it done right and not worry.

This is the way to do it! Have you not seen or driven the car yet?

No, haven't seen it in person yet or driven but I did have the seller take it to a local dealership in his area and had it inspected and them call me with the inspection info. It's just a 04 Mustang Mach 1 so not like it's a high end car or anything like that, just trying to figure out the most cost effective way to get the car up here while at the same time, cya in case of anything going south.

I bought my truck from a guy in NM with a clear title. I went through my credit union which had some type of direct connect with the seller's credit union so they transferred the funds and he sent the title via overnight shipment and once everything was confirmed on my end the funds were released. The whole process was done in 2 days, then I just had to wait for the truck to arrive.