First Trip of the Year - Ireland & Scotland

Earache

First big trip of the year, hope this works out!

Hopped a flight to Dublin, Ireland where we've been doing the tourist stuff for two days, picking up a BMW GS tonmorrow for two weeks of riding across Ireland and Scotland.

Spent the last two days slumming it, camped out at the Westin in downtown Dublin...

IMG_3050Large.jpg

IMG_3051Large.jpg

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck Obama, this shopkeeper has the economy issues figured out...

IMG_3036Large.jpg

I was going to post a bunch tonight, but the wife has informed me that I am going out now. More later.........

I'm still planning a trip there. Was thinking of renting the bike in Northern Ireland. Details of your trip will be interesting. Scotland is way cool. Watch out for the sheep.

Didn't haver net access for a day - sorry about that.

We pick up the bike and ride through some of the shittiest weather ever to get to the Port of Larne, Ireland. We hop the P&O Ferry to Scotland and then ride through more shit to get to Edinburgh, Scotland...

IMG_3136Large.jpg

IMG_3139Large.jpg

IMG_3140Large.jpg

IMG_3142Large.jpg

We're staying in the Sheraton Grand Hotel and Spa, with a great view of the Edinburgh Castle high on the rocks just outside of our window...

IMG_3216Large.jpg

IMG_3148Large.jpg

IMG_3149Large.jpg

It's been a long, wet day to get here, so we just crusie out for a quick look around. We'll hit the Castle tomorrow. A few shots from the streets of Edinburgh....

IMG_3214Large.jpg

IMG_3213Large.jpg

IMG_3211Large.jpg

Just wouldn't be right to pass all of these cool pubs and not have a pint...

IMG_3182Large.jpg

Start off with a Stella...

IMG_3177Large.jpg

Next pub and some local swill that really sucked. Don't get me wrong; I drank it, but it sucked.

IMG_3175Large.jpg

IMG_3176Large.jpg

"Look Honey, another pub!" I use this line a lot and so far, it's been working.

This place had more shit nailed to it's walls and celing than any place I've ever been. Although a good dusting wouldn't hurt it, it was kinda cool. Nice selection of golf clubs...

IMG_3189Large.jpg

IMG_3187Large.jpg

IMG_3186Large.jpg

IMG_3185Large.jpg

Nailed a Guinness here...

IMG_3191Large.jpg

Time to head back to the hotel for the night. Took the short cut across the Princes Street Gardens and into the graveyard of St. John's Church. Nothing spooky about this place at all....

IMG_3210Large.jpg

IMG_3208Large.jpg

I like skulls...

IMG_3206Large.jpg

Crypts with open doors and empty tombs are kinda strange. I fully expect to see some zombies wondering around here....

IMG_3202Large.jpg

IMG_3199Large.jpg

IMG_3197Large.jpg

IMG_3194Large.jpg

But we made it safely back to our hotel. Then up the steps to the first floor and lo and behold; "Look Honey, a hotel bar!"

IMG_3217Large-1.jpg

IMG_3218Large-1.jpg

And one last Guinness for the night...

IMG_3223Large.jpg

More pics from the Castle later today or tomorrow. Might even get a picture of some pubs and some beers if the Wife will still believe the ruse I've been using ;)

• 2 weeks later...

We picked up the bike in Naas on Monday and yesterday was the first day with little to no rain that we've had since. Not complaining though - day on a bike in the rain beats a day at work anytime.

After getting the bike, we headed to Larne for the night so we could get on the ferry the next day for Scotland. Wifey wanted to see the Edinburgh Castle, so off we went. Had a great room at the Sheraton Grand with a view of the castle out the window....

IMG_3149Large-1.jpg

IMG_3210Large-1.jpg

Won't bore you here with the 200 pics I took.

Couple of days in Edinburgh and we head for Troon for the ferry back to Ireland. Naturally, it was cancelled for some reason so we humped it south to Carnryan for another ferry. Missed that one by 10 minutes so we got to hang out there for 3-1/2 hours.

Did get to see the Doune Castle where they filmed Monty Python's "The Holy Grail". Highlight of my trip to Scotland....

IMG_3413Large.jpg

"I fart in your general direction..."

IMG_3468Large.jpg

Back to Ireland and we ride for the Wicklow area. SOmeone recommneded the Glenview Hotel and it was nice enough. Good drinks in the bar and a nice view from the restaurant....

IMG_3519Large.jpg

IMG_3524Large.jpg

IMG_3523Large.jpg