First Trip of the Year - Ireland & Scotland

Earache

I have no idea where they got all of that freakin' rock to build all of these castles with. It's a mystery that modern science has yet to solve....

attachment.php?attachmentid=78459&stc=1&d=1242748411

IMG_3927Large-1.jpg

IMG_3928Large.jpg

IMG_3929Large.jpg

IMG_3931Large-1.jpg

IMG_3932Large-1.jpg

IMG_3933Large-1.jpg

IMG_3935Large.jpg

Edited by Earache

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or does nobody see the pictures in the posts in the last few pages?

Crap! I see them. I copied and pasted from Photofucket. Please tell me that they are there.

Is the text visible?

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the coastal roads were good. Hard to see in the pics, but the surface of the roads generally sucked. A sportbike would have a tough time on these as it would ground out constantly. The BMW GS was clearly the bike for the job and we saw shitloads of them on the roads along with some naked bikes. Very few sportbikes.

Lots of thatched roofs along the coast as well, even on newer homes...

IMG_3936Large-1.jpg

IMG_3937Large-1.jpg

IMG_3938Large-1.jpg

IMG_3940Large.jpg

IMG_3941Large-1.jpg

We stopped in pubs for hot tea for the wife constantly. This place was kinda cool, very small and comfy. I liked the grindstones that they had mounted in the wall. Could see into the next room through the axle hole...

IMG_3942Large-1.jpg

IMG_3944Large-1.jpg

IMG_3945Large-1.jpg

IMG_3946Large-1.jpg

IMG_3947Large-1.jpg

Three bar stools - no waiting...

IMG_3949Large.jpg

The roads are very poorly marked here and navigation is a bitch. Just trying to figure out what road you're on takes a lot of time.

Signposts look like this and are hard to read when you pass them at 50 mph. No signs are marked with directions like "east, west, north or south", they are just marked with the next town name down that road. If you don't know the town names, then you're fucked.

I made route sheets each morning listing the towns I wanted to pass through, not the highway numbers or direction. Worked out better this way....

IMG_3951Large.jpg

Cliffs of Moher. Couldn't believe or understand what the attraction to this was. Had to pay to walk to the top of it to look down or take a tour boat into the ocean to see it closer.

It's a cliff, 600' tall - I get that. But it wasn't that cool. Weird.

Cool old monastery out on an island. Was from the year 400 or so...

Cliffs of Moher. Couldn't believe or understand what the attarction to this was. Had to pay to wolk to the top of it to look down or take a tour boat into the ocean to see it closer.

IMG_3952Large.jpg

IMG_3953Large.jpg

IMG_3954Large.jpg

IMG_3954Large.jpg

IMG_3958Large-1.jpg

The next day we're leaving Spanish Point and heading "oop norf" to Galway. Fuckin shit day; freezing cold, raining and 40 mph winds. Lovely.

Great day to be on a bike......

IMG_3964Large-1.jpg

IMG_3964Large-1.jpg

IMG_3965Large-1.jpg

IMG_3966Large-1.jpg

IMG_3967Large.jpg

IMG_3961Large-1.jpg

IMG_3968Large.jpg

Saw a sign that said "Tea Room Cafe" that pointed down a dirt road. Judy wanted tea, so we went down that way. About 5 miles down the road, we happen upon the tea place. And they have their own tower castle.

We're the only people that have been there all week., so they unlock the castle and tell us to close the door on the way out....

IMG_3970Large.jpg

IMG_3971Large.jpg

IMG_3973Large.jpg

IMG_3974Large.jpg

IMG_3975Large.jpg

Colder than a well digger's ass in this thing, but it's pretty cool. These things were made for much shorter people back in the day as we (I'm 6'1" and Judy is around 5'11" tall ) smack our heads on stuff constantly. Should keep our helmets on....

IMG_3979Large.jpg

IMG_3980Large.jpg

IMG_3981Large-1.jpg

Could be made into a decent place to live - six small rooms with a larger room at the basement. All of the green and gary stuff on the walls is mold, hope you're not allergic....

IMG_3988Large.jpg

IMG_3989Large.jpg

IMG_3990Large.jpg

IMG_3993Large.jpg

IMG_3993Large.jpg

IMG_3995Large.jpg

Spiral stairs ended at a closed door. It wasn't locked and no one said I couldn't go in, so I did.

Out onto the rooftop! Sweet! I could shoot my bow at people below and throw all sorts of shit on them if they attacked. But no one was round except us. Pity, I'd enjoy shooting some people from up here...

IMG_4005Large-1.jpg

IMG_4006Large.jpg

IMG_4007Large.jpg

Another day, another castle.

Only about 15 miles down the road from the Tower Castle is this one. This is cool in that a person lived here until 1971. Had to see that.....

IMG_4012Large-1.jpg

IMG_4014Large.jpg

IMG_4015Large-1.jpg

IMG_4016Large.jpg

Ledge around the top of the wall once supported a wooden ledge that the archers would have stood on. They shot through the holes in the wall (kinda hard to see here)...

IMG_4017Large.jpg

IMG_4016Large.jpg

IMG_4018Large.jpg

Dunguare Castle was built in 1520 and is different becasue the current owners tried to recreate what it looked like back in the day with some antiques and props. Gives you a better idea of what it looked like instead of just seeing a big empty room like most castles have...

IMG_4019Large.jpg

IMG_4020Large.jpg

IMG_4022Large.jpg

The banquet hall was recreated using drawings and descriptions from old books. This is what it would have looked like back in the 1500's.

The interior walls woudl have been covered in plaster and painted white though - they weren't bare rock like you see here.....

IMG_4028Large-1.jpg

IMG_4030Large.jpg

IMG_4031Large.jpg

IMG_4032Large-1.jpg