First Trip of the Year - Ireland & Scotland

Earache

The skies cleared mid-morning and we got some decent riding in, up Wicklow Gap and several other roads that I can't remember. Ihave it mapped out someplace though....

IMG_3475Large.jpg

IMG_3533Large.jpg

IMG_3536Large.jpg

IMG_3538Large.jpg

IMG_3582Large.jpg

The Gap area...

IMG_3595Large.jpg

IMG_3596Large.jpg

IMG_3597Large.jpg

IMG_3601Large.jpg

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edinburgh, Scotland - Did the castle as Judy hadn't been there. I'll just post a few of the pics I took there.

IMG_3229Large.jpg

IMG_3233Large.jpg

IMG_3235Large.jpg

Edited by Earache

I always wondered how accurate these cannons were. Did they actually aim them, or just blast away and hope they hit something? Decent sized cannon balls - would put the hurt on you if it nailed you...

IMG_3249Large.jpg

IMG_3246Large.jpg

IMG_3256Large.jpg

IMG_3253Large.jpg

IMG_3250Large.jpg

Stopped by the cafe for tea and scones (yeah, I'm a fag), great views of Edinburgh from here...

IMG_3341Large.jpg

IMG_3340Large.jpg

IMG_3338Large.jpg

IMG_3335Large.jpg

IMG_3329Large.jpg

IMG_3327Large.jpg

IMG_3326Large.jpg

Edited by Earache
fix pics

Next day and we're heading for the Port of Troon, Scotland to catch the ferry back to Ireland. Lots of time to kill today and we stop by some out of the way Castle that doesn't have many people looking at it. It's pretty remote in the town of Doune.

Didn't know it at the time, but they filmed all of "Monty Python's Holy Grail" here. How cool is that?

IMG_3413Large-1.jpg

IMG_3469Large.jpg

IMG_3468Large-1.jpg

IMG_3464Large.jpg

IMG_3462Large.jpg

__IMG_3437Large.jpg

IMG_3431Large.jpg

Edited by Earache

That large arch is a fireplace - 17 feet wide. Big fucking BBQ, eh?

At the side of the fireplace are marks in the stone where the cooks sharpened their knives to cut the food.....

IMG_3423Large.jpg

IMG_3426Large.jpg

Edited by Earache

Both pics are of the same wall - this is the wall where the French guy gave the "I fart in your general direction" speech in the movie.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V7zbWNznbs

IMG_3468Large-1.jpg

IMG_3469Large.jpg

Edited by Earache

Blowing through central Scotland and heading for the coast. Rain, 45F and winds of about 40 mph. Been riding in this shit for the past three days with no end in sight.

Hit a local pub in East Bumfuck for lunch and to get outta the rain for a bit....

IMG_3474Large.jpg

IMG_3475Large-1.jpg

IMG_3472Large.jpg

Edited by Earache

We land in Troon to stay overnight before the ferry tomorrow morning. Stayed in Johnny Walker's (whiskey guy) grandson's house. Cool looking place even though the rooms were kinda weird....

IMG_3494Large.jpg

IMG_3479Large.jpg

IMG_3481Large.jpg

IMG_3483Large.jpg

IMG_3484Large.jpg

IMG_3477Large.jpg

IMG_3478Large.jpg

Edited by Earache

Bar was even odd - kinda modern looking in an old country house. Cold Stella though.....

IMG_3485Large.jpg

_IMG_3486Large.jpg

IMG_3489Large.jpg

Edited by Earache

Got to the dock on time just to hear that our cruise was cancelled due to rough seas. We can come back tomorrow or head south 100 miles to another port and hope to get on there.

We humped the 100 miles in a driving gale and got the fuck outta dodge. Passed a few ferries coming towards us as well headed west....

IMG_3497Large.jpg

___IMG_3500Large.jpg

_IMG_3504Large.jpg

__IMG_3506Large.jpg

__IMG_3508Large.jpg

___IMG_3509Large.jpg_______

Edited by Earache

Made it to Larne, Scotland and rode 150 miles sout to Glenview in the Wicklow Mountains. Of course, it rained like a bitch thge entire way. Suck!

Hotel kinda sucked, too - but they had cool Guinness and lots of it...

IMG_3526Large.jpg

IMG_3527Large.jpg

Rooms were sparesly furnsihed but clean. Hotel had a real 1930's feel to it....

IMG_3510Large.jpg

IMG_3513Large.jpg

IMG_3520Large.jpg

Food was okay but the view from the restaurant was cool.....

IMG_3523Large-1.jpg

IMG_3521Large.jpg

IMG_3519Large-1.jpg

Edited by Earache
fix pix

Today's destination is Kilkenny (You Bastards!), Ireland.

I love that joke but no one here seems to get it an dthey just look at me like I'm nuts. It's great joke - they're just not cultured enough to get it.

Anyway, cruise the Wicklow Mtns in the SUN!!!!

IMG_3532Large.jpg

IMG_3533Large-1.jpg

IMG_3534Large.jpg

IMG_3535Large.jpg

Edited by Earache

Wicklow Gap area - narrow and fast. Above the tree line. Great road to rail on as you can see so far in the distance. Bumpy as shit though...

IMG_3601Large-1.jpg

IMG_3600Large.jpg

IMG_3599Large.jpg

IMG_3598Large.jpg

IMG_3597Large-1.jpg

IMG_3596Large-1.jpg

IMG_3596Large-1.jpg

Edited by Earache

Tonight we're in Kilkenny, located in south central Ireland. Rolling hills mark the topography and the riding in the area ain't all that hot. Just a stop off on our way west to the good shit.

We check into the nicest hotel in town, it's kinda weird as so many other things are here in Ireland to Americans. It's not so much the leather wrapped poster bed, it's not so much the headboard held up with S&M buckles top the wall. It's not even the odd looking chaise lounge. No, it's the totally fucked up leather rocking chair covered in chrome leather.

Nice sink though.

I'm not gonna sleep well tonight......

IMG_3633Large-2.jpg

IMG_3634Large-1.jpg

IMG_3635Large.jpg

IMG_3636Large-1.jpg

IMG_3637Large-1.jpg

IMG_3639Large.jpg

Edited by Earache

Like many Irish towns, the streets are narrow, full of activity and people. Has a nice castle in the center of town - hope to check it out further tomorrow....

IMG_3643Large.jpg

IMG_3644Large.jpg

IMG_3645Large-1.jpg

IMG_3650Large-1.jpg

IMG_3651Large-1.jpg

IMG_3652Large.jpg

IMG_3653Large.jpg

IMG_3654Large.jpg

IMG_3655Large-1.jpg

IMG_3656Large.jpg

IMG_3666Large.jpg

Edited by Earache

We're home now (May 18th) and I'll complete the report. Had shit internet connections that made loading pictures an exercise in futility. Plus, I was drinking too many beers each night and didn't feel like posting very much afterwards.

Last post we were in Killkenny (You Bastards!), Ireland. Next stop on the tour was Killarney.

We stopped by a castle on the way that was undergoing renovation. They just dump a huge pile of stone in front of the place and the stone cutters start making walls out of it. Time consuming and skilled labor going on here. And I suspect more than 1 or 2 smashed thumbs in the process....

IMG_3667Large.jpg

IMG_3668Large.jpg

IMG_3670Large-1.jpg

IMG_3672Large.jpg

IMG_3673Large.jpg

IMG_3674Large.jpg

IMG_3678Large-1.jpg

Edited by Earache

Down the road a bit and we're now in Carrick-on-Suir, Ireland. Home to the Ormond Castle, House of Butler. The house was built in the 1500's while the twin towers of the previous castle were built around 1300 or so.

The guy that owned the place was named Butler and his title gave him the right to serve the Queen of England food and wines. This is why service people are now known as "butlers". There you have it; today's history lesson.

IMG_3681Large-1.jpg

IMG_3682Large.jpg

IMG_3683Large.jpg

Edited by Earache

Pretty easy to see what's left of the two towers behind the house above. Once through the front door, it leads to the old courtyard and more remains of the tower...

IMG_3684Large.jpg

IMG_3686Large-1.jpg

IMG_3689Large.jpg

IMG_3691Large-1.jpg

IMG_3694Large.jpg

IMG_3696Large.jpg

Edited by Earache

No pics are allowed in the Castle - dunno why. I went into this room before our tour began and snapped a few before knowing it was illegal. Ah well.

This is some of the original furniture and plates from the castle. Also got some shots of the remaining plasterwork around the top of the room. Pretty cool shit.......

IMG_3700Large-1.jpg

IMG_3700Large-1.jpg

IMG_3701Large.jpg

IMG_3702Large.jpg

IMG_3703Large.jpg

IMG_3704Large.jpg

Edited by Earache

Pics from the outside. Showing the floors, doorway and filled in fireplace mantles. They were filled in to prevent the walls from collapsing...

IMG_3714Large.jpg

IMG_3715Large.jpg

IMG_3716Large.jpg

IMG_3717Large.jpg

IMG_3718Large.jpg

IMG_3719Large.jpg

Edited by Earache

Enough castle shit, I need a beer.

We're in Killarney now and check into the Foley House in the center of town. High dollar place that looked pretty sweet from the outside and had a great location. But the "suite" we had kinda reminded me of my Grandmother's house and smelled more than a little bit of old people's wee...again, much like my Grandmother.

IMG_3808Large.jpg

IMG_3724Large-1.jpg

IMG_3725Large-1.jpg

IMG_3726Large-1.jpg

Edited by Earache

One look at the matching toilet / sink / tub combo and it's confirmed. This is my Grandmother's house!

We had planned on staying here two nights, but bail after one in search of nicer digs more suited to a man of my means and social standing....

IMG_3727Large-1.jpg

IMG_3728Large-1.jpg

Edited by Earache