Mid engine corvette.

98WS6

I'm not convinced. I think this is a Corvette mule for a Ford GT competitor.

Ultimately, it boils down to one question:

What does GM believe will alienate the Corvette faithful less: abandoning the front engine platform that has been the heart of the Vette since day 1 and making it more "exotic", or building a Halo car above the Vette?

I'm not sure, but I'm going to go with Halo car.

yeah...not a fan of the newer tail lights either. Like others...this rumor has been around for awhile along with the v6 option rumor. I just wish they would go ahead and do it. On one hand I think there's something cool about having the front push rod engine that kinda goes against the grain but still holds it's own but there's also something to be said about what a mid engine would do for the car on the track. The bottom line is that a small percentage of vettes see any track time so GM needs to listen to the buyers and figure out what they want.

It's been a rumor since about 1966....

They built the rear engined xp819 in 1964, so even before that. GM must have built about half a dozen rear or mid engined prototypes and mules since then and they always do the same thing: test the platform to see if it really makes a difference then decide that there is no advantage and abandon the project in favor of the traditional layout.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/27/mid-engine-chevy-corvette-captured-in-broad-daylight/

Looks like the mules are running in broad daylight.

IMO, losing the FR-layout to the Corvette (according to the article) is a McSteak. The rear hatch area is what makes a Corvette such a great Grand Touring option as well. Lose the cargo capacity and you lose a lot of the car's versatility, especially in modern C5-C6-C7 platforms.