Sledhead....this you?

Putty

How is S&W? In comparison to a place like Hyde Park or Morton's?

IMO not as good. Someone who I trust to have knowledge of these things told me they basically pay no rent because it's Les Wexner's favorite steakhouse, but were it not for that they would've folded long ago.

Was there a viper behind it?

No, just those two.

IMO not as good. Someone who I trust to have knowledge of these things told me they basically pay no rent because it's Les Wexner's favorite steakhouse, but were it not for that they would've folded long ago.

So Les charges them nothing simply so he can get the steak? Sounds like a losing deal to me.

So Les charges them nothing simply so he can get the steak? Sounds like a losing deal to me.

If you had the steak you would really understand how much of a loser of a deal that is.

I had dinner there about a month ago and the place was a ghost town.

If you had the steak you would really understand how much of a loser of a deal that is.

I had dinner there about a month ago and the place was a ghost town.

I eat the steak a couple times a month.

I've tried S&W 3 times just to insure I was giving it a fair shake...I've never been impressed. It's not bad...it's just not great and I see no reason to pay that much money for something that isn't worth writing home about.

Merlot > all in my opinion. We have some great food in this town and some equally great steak houses but Eddie's is #1 for me and about the only one I bother going to anymore. It is somewhere that I leave and want to tell people about how great the food / experience is.

We were in Chicago in Jan for my wife's b-day and had Gibson's who carry on and on about how they are the only restaurant chain to have their own grade of USDA prime certification for their beef. It was great but we came home and had Eddie Merlot a few days later and it was just better.

I eat the steak a couple times a month.

Maybe I am just spoiled then. For all the time I lived on Long Island (1993-up) I ate Peter Luger's (which in the 90's was across from the Great Neck Ferrari dealer who had an F40 displayed in their front and center window - almost nothing is better than eating aged prime while staring at a ferrari f40). Wife used to work for Ruth's Chris corporate in New Orleans for a short while too so...lots of steak. Of the Chain steakhouses: mortons, S&W, Ruth's Chris, the capital grill, Fleming's, etc..., S&W is the only place I thought I could replicate the dish with a decent enough piece of prime and my home grill.

BTW, has anybody noticed Costco has had some decent raw cuts of prime lately for not a lot of money? I mean its not like going to the butcher for quality, but it's been about the same that I pay for a triple pack of choice rib-eyes from kroger or big bird.

BTW, has anybody noticed Costco has had some decent raw cuts of prime lately for not a lot of money? I mean its not like going to the butcher for quality, but it's been about the same that I pay for a triple pack of choice rib-eyes from kroger or big bird.

We get their Prime rib and cook it for Christmas Dinner for the whole extended family. Wife hooks it up and it's fantastic. Been doing this for 3 years now.

2015:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160718/cb9e74998e88ba64beb35feb160ffe2a.jpg

For me a good steak is like good jazz. It's as much about the notes (ingredients) that you DON'T use.

A proper steak should be a bit of salt, fresh cracked pepper, basted with butter and light herbs, taken off the heat when it's rare and let rest to a perfect mid-rare.

Every time I've been to S&W I feel as though they put my steak straight on a plate and served it to me without resting; sure it's a perfect mid-rare, but the damn thing is still bleeding when I cut into it.

I agree with everyone saying Merlots/Mitchell's are best in Cbus, I used to manage the valets at the Polaris Mitchell's and, at least at the time, their steaks were among the best I'd ever had. And IMO their service is top notch, at both the Polaris and downtown locations compared to other steakhouses. Say what you want about Cameron Mitchell's cooking style/recipes, his restaurants have impeccable service standards IMO.

Mmmmm +1 for Eddie's, incredible food and not a stiff upper lip kind of attitude. Mitchell's not bad, but for an atmosphere it's trying too hard. Eddie's always is welcoming and has given me excellent service rolling in semi casual that their neighbors would have scoffed at.

Yay for thread hi-jacking about steak!

Mitchell's is garbage. Was there for Fathers Day and the service blew goats, especially considering the supposed pedigree and pricing.

Eddie Merlot's or Hudson 29 are great for me. Love that I can get a great piece of meat at H29 and an awesome sushi roll to start with at the same meal.

I'm curious how the Avenue Tavern is...

Was in town for a buckeye game last season, and my buddy slammed some fairy in a Bentley to the ground after we ate at S&W, after he started shit with him for wearing a wisconsin shirt. I don't remember the food being that good. Had a much better time flirting with a waitress named marky at bag of nails, getting shit plastered at world of beer, and then having a car salesman drive us around in a tesla because we were too drunk to test drive it.

Mitchell's was the best steak house in town when I lived there. I loved Hyde park, mortons, and j Alexander's.