Sledhead....this you?

Putty

Yes, that's me and my buddy Tom. Kevan showed up later. That was my first time at S and W in several years. I agree with you guys, we often went there for drinks and appetizers but never ate there because we didn't feel it was that good. Absolutely love the bar and the fact that it's out on the sidewalk. Great people watching. I don't know any truth to the rumor is of how the rent is paid, but over the years the place is gotten marginal reviews. Les does not eat there very often, so that rumor may be not true. However, when we were there on Saturday night we met the new manager, he has been brought in to do a $2.7 million Dollar renovation and turn the restaurant around. He's already fired about 30 people and is a turnaround expert. He was brought in from Chicago where he has salvaged many restaurants in that area. S&W is definitely there to stay and they want it to be a top notch restaurant. I would suggest giving them another shot once they have done the renovation.

i liked it a lot too. it was the only restaurant that my parents would come to columbus for, i'm thinking location was it's killer.

Same here. We had tried the one in Pittsburgh a few times in the past and they didn't know anything besides well done. The one here was much better. My mom always made sure to stop there when she was here for lunch or dinner one day.

I liked Rigby's when they still open. Right now my favorite is the Kansas City steak at the Ocean Club. But you're right about the SW is not very memorable. And after reading thru this thread I'll have to re-visit Eddy Merlot.

Was Rigby's that spot on High St in the short north backin the day? Served a lot of seafood? If so, I was there once on a date before Cirqu du Soleil and I had the salmon and a nice Pinot. We ate upstairs. I really enjoyed that place and wanted to go back. I was disappointed when they closed.

Wow...and I thought Hyde Park was as good as it got in Columbus. Looks like i'll need to try Merlot's when next we are back in Columbus.

Honestly, I got to Park for the ambiance and the service. Their steaks are great, but I honestly believe I make a bison filet that's just as good as what I can get from Hyde Park for 1/2 the price. Though, the blackened scallops at HP are out of this world.

Fuck all these steak places, I've yet to try a steak/Prime Rib at a restaurant that I feel is above my ability to cook at home for a fraction of the price. The wife and I bought a 1/4 organic cow and 1/3 of a pig. Smoked, Grilled, Broiled, we have it covered for a fraction of the price. If I go out we get stuff I can't make well like Giammarco's Lasagna, for cheap I love Carsonie's Stramboli. Italian/Asian/Hispanic/Persian/Indian cuisine I leave to the pros. I despise cooked seafood so fuck that noise.

The only place I even will order Prime is somewhere nobody ever talks, thinks, or goes anymore, not sure how it is even still around but it's been there longer than I'm alive I think and it's the 94th Aero squadron, love the 40s music and WWII atmosphere. Watch the planes land and take off at John Glenn while you eat. It's quiet and walk in sit down and eat a good meal, maybe not great, but plenty of quite and space. Wife and I split a Commanders Cut and the mashed potatoes are awesome. We take the kids and they think it's pretty cool. Love that place and always will. Need to go more often I admit.

I have NEVER been a fan of any Mitchells restaurant.

I have no problem paying for a great meal and exceptional service and prefer Merlot's over the lot. Next would definitely be HP in Dublin, The Top, and for a very good 'cheap' steak you cannot beat JAlexanders.

I have never had a bad experience at JGilberts but with JAlexanders across the street it's hard to go there.

I went to M two weeks ago and the service was great, but the food was 'meh' at best.

We go to SW once or twice a year when a good friend is in town from Cleveland as that is his favorite spot. The last two times we were the ONLY people there. The service was top notch, the food was good, but it was not $250 good.

-Marc

Had J. Gilbert a couple weeks ago for the first time. I thought it was good. We had combos of salads, crab & steak and a full dessert for like $50ish. The steak was just a 6oz fillet but it was good. The desserts were great. I had 2 good cocktails. I thought we got a lot for the money.

The last steak I got at J Alexanders was disappointing. The service was very mediocre as well.

The Top is probably my favorite. But I haven't had Merlots.

Fuck all these steak places, I've yet to try a steak/Prime Rib at a restaurant that I feel is above my ability to cook at home for a fraction of the price. The wife and I bought a 1/4 organic cow and 1/3 of a pig. Smoked, Grilled, Broiled, we have it covered for a fraction of the price.

So when's dinner?

Nice car man!!! First time I've seen it out other than the car show. I can't imagine the attention that thing gets on a sunny day.

LOL, yeah does draw a bit of attention. Especially being matte yellow, people don't see many of them. I know there's 2 coupes in the United States and I think mine is the only roadster in matte yellow. The premium upcharge of the paint, is why people don't order it. Sorry your thread turned into a steakhouse foodies page........lol

The premium upcharge of the paint, is why people don't order it.

If you will forgive the crass question, what is the upcharge on the paint? I had heard the Rosso Bia paint charge was something like $14K, but that it supposed to be a special paint formula. Is it about the same, or less? Does it count as an out of range color? or is it something more?