Need a Fun Car

BStowers023

So I tried to be content with my Wrangler and it didn't work out. I want something fast again. I've been out of the "racing" scene for years now and I doubt I get back into it but I miss getting in something fun to drive with some power. I've been looking hard at Toyota MR2 Turbos lately but I drove one today and kinda hated it. No power steering was awful and it wasn't as fast as I expected (forged internals,bolt ons, 20G turbo). I don't need anything crazy fast, but something that has potential at least. Looking for something that can run at least mid 12s at 110-115ish for fairly cheap. I'll be getting a company truck in a few months to drive to and from work and some short errands, so this will be prettt much a weekend "fun" car.

Here are my criteria. Pretty broad because I'm pretty much open for almost anything under my budget.

<$15k

Manual

Good aftermarket parts selection

Fairly reliable (please no DSM)

Some cars I've thought of...

Mr2, 350z, g35, WRX, 135i, 1st gen CTS-V

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seriously thinking of selling my Trans Am this year and was planning on waiting till spring. Let me know if you want to come look at it. I don't think there is a cleaner 4th gen around. Pewter, 6 speed car, 60k miles, 440whp, decent mod list but nothing too wild. I'd sell under your budget.

https://www.facebook.com/TheColumbusCarsandCoffee/photos/a.994763990601845.1073741889.330068160404768/994764670601777/?type=3&theater

You can pick up an 06 cts-v for that price and you'll be all set. My buddy used to have one, it was a pretty nice car.

2000 ish Z06

An LS car would be ideal since that's what I'm most familiar with, but part of me wants something different that not many people have (hence MR2). C5z's have been my realistic dream car since before I even had a license though.

I'm seriously thinking of selling my Trans Am this year and was planning on waiting till spring. Let me know if you want to come look at it. I don't think there is a cleaner 4th gen around. Pewter, 6 speed car, 60k miles, 440whp, decent mod list but nothing too wild. I'd sell under your budget.

https://www.facebook.com/TheColumbusCarsandCoffee/photos/a.994763990601845.1073741889.330068160404768/994764670601777/?type=3&theater

I do really miss my WS6. I'd consider it but I don't know if I want another F-body. I'm sure if I took it for a test drive I'd re-fall in love though haha

If you ok with a weekend car, or a DD that is sure to get you into toruble, I am considering selling LSJuan to focus on the house, family, and the Viper hunt. I can just abotu garutnee you you wont find anything that reliably traps as fast for the money (unless I built it) LOL ;)

PM Sent

E55 AMG sedan. 12's right out of the box, with a thousand in mods you'll be mid 11's. Cops don't even bother you when you cruising 120mph.

Mr2 was fun ten years ago, now they are all basket cases.

Yeah, I was looking at E55's. I'm just worried about if the trans or motors decides to take a shit, how much am I out?

Srt4 fits that bill for stupid cheap. Mods are plentiful, and cheap. I put 100k mile of racing so ide say there reliable. :lol:

Yeah, I've known some people with fast SRT4's. I kinda like the Caliber more than the Neon but I don't know if I could do either to be honest...

Bigger turbo and a handful of supporting mods would net around 400awhp. Stock turbo loses pull after ~4k rpms. It's just a lil guy.

I'm sure you've priced this out. How much for a new turbo with supporting mods?

There's an FRC Corvette at a dealership around the corner from me. Looks clean, they are asking a bit much for it ($14K) but it's been there since early summer.

Their web site sucks, but its towards the bottom.

http://www.smithsautosales.org/

That's about exactly what I want. I could trade my TL in too. My only concern would be whether I could take the Corvette out at all in the snow because if I buy now and trade my TL in, it would have to be my daily through this winter. My boss said I can take a truck home in severe weather, but I'm talking about even light stuff...

I could always not trade my TL in, but I'd rather get rid of it if I could.

Yeah, I was looking at E55's. I'm just worried about if the trans or motors decides to take a shit, how much am I out?

A quick search on Car-part, you can have both engine and trans for less than $5k. I've owned E55 for seven years and an active member on mbworld, thru the seven years I've only see a handful engine blow up (usually due to owner errors) and even less transmission failure. If anything the electronic gadgets in the car will cost you, not the drive train. Oh head, rear tires too.

Best for the money will be a fbody , mid 12 is not slow so most the cars you want won't get you there without some mods,

For daily use I say get a wrx or a s4 and do some light mods

You could get a 2.7s4 buy a apr stage kit and meet your goals and still be reliable as hell

A quick search on Car-part, you can have both engine and trans for less than $5k. I've owned E55 for seven years and an active member on mbworld, thru the seven years I've only see a handful engine blow up (usually due to owner errors) and even less transmission failure. If anything the electronic gadgets in the car will cost you, not the drive train. Oh head, rear tires too.

Yeah, I guess just the upkeep and maintenance along with if something major breaks concerns me. I'm sure they are well built cars but the only ones I could afford would be 10+ years old and 100k+ miles, so anything could happen...

I DD'd my C4 Corvette for a couple of hard winters...even with Goodyear Eagles it was fine in super-cold and icy mornings.

1) You shouldn't have sold your Firebird. :)

2) Not Brian's Volvo is a rare find...

Yeah, I've heard Vettes do better than most people think in the snow, especially with some Blizzaks for the winter. It would really only have to get me through this winter, then I'll be golden.

The WS6 would have been ideal to keep, but I was just getting out of the military and starting school full-time and the car was costing me over $500/month between car payment and insurance so I couldn't justify it at the time.

Get an Evo. There's a reason they are a little more than a wrx, because they are worth it. It's at the top of your budget but you can drive it year round with no issues.

Yeah, if the right deal on one came around, I would definitely consider it.

Best for the money will be a fbody , mid 12 is not slow so most the cars you want won't get you there without some mods,

For daily use I say get a wrx or a s4 and do some light mods

You could get a 2.7s4 buy a apr stage kit and meet your goals and still be reliable as hell

How is upkeep on the S4's? I've heard Audi's are pretty bulky/heavy and don't handle too well compared to like a beamer, any truth to that?