WWCRD? New tires vs 2nd set for winter

Dharris89

So driving today in this little bit of weather has shown me I need new tires. I have a 2013 Accord Sport 6mt with factory 18 inch wheels. The tires are Michelin, are nearly to the wear bars but prob have a year or so left. But I couldn't stop or start at all this morning. I have the tire pressure things and when I lose half a pound of air the idiot light comes on.

Can I run smaller wheels with snow tires or will it piss off the computer without the pressure monitors? Or should I just get new tires on the stock rims? Assume aesthetics don't matter as I'm not trying to impress anyone but I drive a lot for work and I need good tires with traction. WWCRD? Thanks for your opinions.

Get new snows on steelies.

Craigslist someone's winter set up they are off loading cheap.

That's exactly where I was heading but will the computer get screwed up if I run rims without tire monitors? I'm seeing full sets of rims with tires for half the price of a new set for the factory rims. This is the first non 15 year old 200k car I've had in a long time so it's "fancy" thx

Go for a inch or 2 less with snow tires and you will be able to drive anywhere.

I have some 16,s steelies with nice M and S tires if you are in a pinch.

If it won't mess up the computer..maybe. I'm not familiar with those tires. Can you pm or text me a pic? I drive to Cleveland and BFE a lot so I just need traction and the ability to stop. thx 614-216-0567.

If you don't have tpms sensors in the 2nd set of wheels you will get a light on the dash. It doesn't bother me so I saved the money and went without them. I have 18's in summer and went with 16's and snow tires for winter. Night and day difference. Definitely recommend a second set.

That's exactly where I was heading but will the computer get screwed up if I run rims without tire monitors? I'm seeing full sets of rims with tires for half the price of a new set for the factory rims. This is the first non 15 year old 200k car I've had in a long time so it's "fancy" thx

Are you talking running tires with out TPS in them? The Winter set ups for both of our Subies doe not have TPS in them. The light is on in the dash, that's it. Can't imagine it would be all that different from different makes of cars.

The car doesn't know what size wheels and tires fitted on it. Installing TPMS sensors on the winter set would alleviate the problem with the warning light and chime.

I suggest having a dedicated winter set equipped with slightly oversized (OD wise) winter tires to boost ground clearance. There are tricks and tips to build a cheap and properly-sized winter set. Let me know if you decided to go that way.

From a very little bit of research it seems like that car is a 'passive' TPMS system.

Long story short, install whatever tire/wheel, start the car, hit that tire pressure learn button Carl talked about, drive, 0 fucks given.

Active: Has actual pressure sensors in each wheel.

Passive: Not actual sensors, 'calculates' a value based off of other sensor info. In the case of TPMS, from the wheel speed sensors; based off of difference in tire size and wheel speed vibrations, etc. Lots of cars are going to 'virtual' sensors for various things in the car. If A=B+C, there is no need for an actual sensor to monitor A if you already have a sensor for B and C, sensor A would be redundant. In Honda's with the passive system there is a button to recalibrate/learn the system in case of reinflating tires or install different tires since they will have different characteristics of how the wheel speed signal looks to the computer. If you have the button like Carl talked about, you should be fine. Just install new wheels/tires and hit that button when you start the car. System will learn as you drive.

You should be able to look at the valve stems to understand if you have actual sensor or not.

I highly suggest against putting very different overall diameter tires on your car. The little bit you could gain from snow ground clearance could mess with the ABS/VSA and some other systems. Not to mention you could easily have issues with tire interference with body or sus. If you need more snow ground clearance, get something other than an Accord. Or, we are in Central Ohio, stay inside the 2 days/year you might actually turn your car into a snow plow.

In a plain old fwd car I would just get new all-seasons on stock wheels. Not like you'll be going any faster than the dozen idiots in front of you anyways.

If you have the garage space and feel like storing winter wheels for 8 months out of the year, well, you can do that too.

In a plain old fwd car I would just get new all-seasons on stock wheels. Not like you'll be going any faster than the dozen idiots in front of you anyways.

If you have the garage space and feel like storing winter wheels for 8 months out of the year, well, you can do that too.

+1

Unless you drive out in the country where it doesn't get plowed,or have to climb steep inclines regularly, you'll be fine in town with decent all seasons.

Can almost always pick up a set of OE take-offs with good tires for much less than the price of new tires. If you buy used, make sure the wheels don't show signs of bends/cracks, and tires are uniformly worn

I have 3 more sets of wheels for my firebird plus a set 4 lug set for my old Accord. Storing them isn't an issue.

Carl seems to have a set that may work so thank you to him, I will follow up.

The idiot light doesn't bother me. Is used to fix them with electrical tape on the dash. Like I said, this is my first nice car in a long time so I just didn't want to do damage to it. Thankfully it doesn't sound like it that's an issue.

Same problem on our 2010 Odyssey...this snow shows that we won't be able to make it thru the winter. I'm just going to get new replacement A/S tires.

If you were talking about getting new wheels/tires (upgrade in the spring), then do snow tires on the factory wheels.

Same problem on our 2010 Odyssey...this snow shows that we won't be able to make it thru the winter. I'm just going to get new replacement A/S tires.

If you were talking about getting new wheels/tires (upgrade in the spring), then do snow tires on the factory wheels.

Clay, my wife's odyssey is due for tires too which is another reason I am looking for a cheaper option. Those will be good ones. When I bought my car I asked the sales person to trade my 18's for some 16's off a base Accord. But it would have voided my "certified" warranty. Since it was the only 6mt in Ohio I could find I went with the 18's. Thx