over ear headphones.....other than beats

xlr8tn

My daughter is going to buy headphones with her xmas money and grades money she has saved up. We were looking at wireless beats. Are they really worth the money? I guess I just can't help think that some/most of it is hype and marketing. She says she just wants a pair that sounds good. She has the money for beats but she said it doesn't have to be that brand as long as it sounds good. Sony or JVC make decent sets? I'm not talking a $20 set......under $100 though if we can.

I bought a pair of the Parrot Zik 3's and love them (Amazon). Unsure if you want a kid sporting these as they are a bit pricey..

Also had two pair of the Beats headphones (Solo's and Studios) and they are pretty much bullet proof. Would really focus in on Bluetooth as we all know the new iPhones do not have a 3.5mm plug. Plus Samsung is rumored the next one (Assume S8) will be removed.

Yeah....Those parrot's are a little much. She has $200 of her own money but after she shopped some she wants to look at her options. I'm actually proud of her for not just jumping on the beats because that's what everyone else has. She may end up with those but at least she's shopping. I was just curious if they're worth it or if good quality can be had for less.

Good, Beats are junk and they are only doing well because of the name.

if they are looking at wired headphones, you wont find much better than Audio Technica ATH-M50 or the M50x

If it were me, Id do the ATH-M50x, get the 2.5 mm custom cable to 3.5 mm cable and a bluetooth receiver and Velcro that to the ear cup.

I myself just got a set of bluetooth wireless headphones but I went very high range because I wanted the noise canceling as well. I got the Sennheiser PXC 550 and they sound absolutely amazing.

I and many people I've suggested this site to have used their recommendations and never been let down.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bluetooth-on-or-over-ear-headphones/

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-150-over-ear-headphones/

The $150 over the ear (wired) headphones they suggested are only $85 on Amazon right now.

Beats are junk for the price.

I got a pair of Skullcandy uproar wireless Bluetooth headphones that go over the top of your head for Christmas couldn't have been more than 30 or 40 bucks and have been pretty impressed with them. spent all day yesterday running around painting the house and they were comfortable the whole time and never shifted a bit was even able to go out to the mailbox without them losing connection to my phone in the house

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice and opinions guys....I read here alot and trust your opinions. I'm going to give her a few options and explain everything to her but I'm going to let her have the final decision. It's her money so I want them to be the ones she picked out.

I and many people I've suggested this site to have used their recommendations and never been let down.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bluetooth-on-or-over-ear-headphones/

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-150-over-ear-headphones/

The $150 over the ear (wired) headphones they suggested are only $85 on Amazon right now.

Beats are junk for the price.

What makes them junk? Honestly interested as I'm in the market as well.

I got a pair of Skullcandy uproar wireless Bluetooth headphones that go over the top of your head for Christmas couldn't have been more than 30 or 40 bucks and have been pretty impressed with them. spent all day yesterday running around painting the house and they were comfortable the whole time and never shifted a bit was even able to go out to the mailbox without them losing connection to my phone in the house

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I actually just got a pair of these at Christmas because they were a flash deal for $20 and I had $18 in reward points. I am highly impressed for a $35 set of bluetooth headphones. They'll be my gym ones until they die.

I put on a pair of Beats Studio on a plane the other day and almost crapped my pants. The sound quality was amazing and they were incredibly comfortable. I travel a lot for work so I'm likely going to pick up a pair on Craigslist sometime this week.

DO NOT BUY A FUCKING PAIR OF BEATS.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ZeosReviews Watch that guys videos on headphones and make a decision from there.

I picked up some Phillips SHP9500s for $50 a few weeks ago and they sound amazing. For the price you cannot beat them. They come with a detachable cable so you can pick your own or if the cable gets broken/cut/whatever you can just buy a standard aux cord and replace it. Super comfortable too. These are open though so if privacy is an issue you may not want these and i cannot help you.

If you want wireless, i still cant help you.

I've had Grado's in the past and they are amazing but i ended up selling them because open air just doesn't work for me....actually now that I have an office and could close my door I may get another pair.

I have a pair of ATH M50x that sit on my desk that I listen to at work. They really are my favorite pair of headphones ever but they are a little on the heavy and clunky side which is why they tend to stay on my desk where I enjoy them most.

Oddly enough my gym pair of headphones is the old standard Bose Triports that I've had for years. Not my favorite sounding pair of headphones but not really off the mark by far either. I'm not a big Bose fan but these really do fit best for this use cause i won't wear ear buds.

My wife was looking for a good but economical bluetooth headphone recently and I bought her a set of Hifi Elite wireless headphones based off of rave reviews on cnet and other various sources. I thought Amazon was actually private labeling them for awhile but I don't see that now. In either case for $60 I guarantee she'd be happy with the setup. they are tuned to be bass heavy like beats which most people are leaning towards anyhow these days. I actually forgot my headphones at the gym last week and wore these instead and almost bought another pair they are THAT good for $60.

https://www.amazon.com/Noise-Isolating-Over-Ear-Wireless-Headphones-Microphone/dp/B016JBZ4CW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483539721&sr=8-1&keywords=hifi+elite

beats are a "fashion accessory"

your daughter literally won't give a shit about sound quality, she wants them because it's what friends have, etc. Can't post your panasonics on instagram.

there are knockoff beats that are better than the real thing, go on ebay or aliexpress and look at those.

My daughter is going to buy headphones with her xmas money and grades money she has saved up. We were looking at wireless beats. Are they really worth the money? I guess I just can't help think that some/most of it is hype and marketing. She says she just wants a pair that sounds good. She has the money for beats but she said it doesn't have to be that brand as long as it sounds good. Sony or JVC make decent sets? I'm not talking a $20 set......under $100 though if we can.

We bought these for my 10yr old and they are great. Not noise cancelling but they sound good, are crystal clear and look nice while being made pretty well too. I'm sure there are lots of good options but in our case we needed to get something she would like and that means somewhat stylish and being they are black and red that check box was completed. Not sure how old your daughter is or what matters to her, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017SR5GHE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That said we also have a pair of $300 Wireless Noise Cancelling Beats I bought for my wife a couple years back and they are good but not $300 good. I like my Bose NC wired ones much better and use them all the time while traveling.

What makes them junk? Honestly interested as I'm in the market as well.

I'm not a professional by any means but when I did a quick search on some over the ear headphones every review I saw said beats were overrated and overpriced.

I got a pair of Status closed back studio monitors (CB1's) for my home computer, I listen to classical when I study and they are amazing for shutting out all distractions. Downside is they are pretty bulky and not noise canceling so i doubt I'll ever travel with them. They were a gift so I don't know the exact price but I saw them on a "best value" list so I'm thinking they were under $100.

OP, if your daughter has $200 to spend she can get something better than what I mentioned but shop around, there are a TON of review videos on youtube for headphones, if she finds a pair she likes there's probably someone who reviewed them.

EDIT: found them... http://thestatusaudio.com/products/cb1

These would be my recommendations. All of these I owned at some point and they all have pros/cons. I miss my Samsung Levels the most, but I currently use a Steelseries Siberia 800 for music, movies, and gaming.

Klipsch Status: Link

Pros: Good quality, includes many adapters in the box, removable 3.5mm jack, iPhone 3.5mm jack with controls included.

Cons: Build quality is a bit shit. snapped these in two twice with little force, but Klipsch replaced them with no questions.

Audiotecnica M50x: Link

Pros: Amazing sound quality, removable 3.5mm jack, foldable

Cons: a bit pricy, but worth it

Samsung Level: Link

Pros: Good sound quality for wireless headphones, touch controls on the side work great

Cons: I got WAAAAAAY shorter battery then then advertized 15 hours... These things would die within 6-8 hours of use.

Good, Beats are junk and they are only doing well because of the name.

This! I have a set of the wireless Beats, wife got them for me as a gift a couple years back. For having a name such as Beats, they honestly lack bass. I wouldn't personally ever spend the money on a pair of beats. I had a set of Bose back in the day that were awesome

https://www.amazon.com/SOL-REPUBLIC-1430-02-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B00H267SZK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1483641221&sr=8-5&keywords=sol+republic

Sol Republic Is that I use. They are fully customizable and every piece is replaceable. You can even use them as wired headphones.

I have the wired ones for the last 4 years and the bluetooth for 2 years. Only had to replace the actual wire once. I also have a Ohio State head band for them.

I use the B&O H8's I won from Audi last year a good deal. I will say I don't use them as much as I should but I need to remember how the controls on the side work so I left the stickers on them. Might check on E-bay and other sites as a lot of Audi people got them and then sold them for cash. Since I didn't pay for them and I wanted wireless/Bluetooth Noise Canceling for mowing and travel I just keep them. Link Below

https://www.amazon.com/PLAY-Bang-Olufsen-Headphone-Cancelling/dp/B00R45Z2WU/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1483803182&sr=8-7&keywords=b%26o+headphones

I bought a pair of the Parrot Zik 3's and love them (Amazon). Unsure if you want a kid sporting these as they are a bit pricey..

Also had two pair of the Beats headphones (Solo's and Studios) and they are pretty much bullet proof. Would really focus in on Bluetooth as we all know the new iPhones do not have a 3.5mm plug. Plus Samsung is rumored the next one (Assume S8) will be removed.

LOVE my Parrot Ziks! Use them mostly for air travel but they are incredible for just listening to music.

• 4 weeks later...
https://www.amazon.com/SOL-REPUBLIC-1430-02-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B00H267SZK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1483641221&sr=8-5&keywords=sol+republic

Sol Republic Is that I use. They are fully customizable and every piece is replaceable. You can even use them as wired headphones.

I have the wired ones for the last 4 years and the bluetooth for 2 years. Only had to replace the actual wire once. I also have a Ohio State head band for them.

these are the ones she ended up picking out. The fact she could get them in red and can buy different band colors to swap out was a selling point for her........even though she wants some that sounds good she's still a 10 year old girl. :D The other selling point was the fact she could use them as wired or wireless. The computers at school need the wire so this kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

They will be delivered tomorrow so we'll see then how they sound. The reviews on them were all pretty good so I suspect she will be just fine with them.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and links. We spent quite a while looking at headphones and reading reviews and what not. I let her make the final decision though since it was her money she was spending. I even left beats as an option the whole time. It came down to the sol republics for $109 and some cheaper skull candy which I think were around $80ish. The skull candy had quite a few reviews where they broke multiple times on people so she ruled those out.

DO NOT BUY A FUCKING PAIR OF BEATS.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ZeosReviews Watch that guys videos on headphones and make a decision from there.

I picked up some Phillips SHP9500s for $50 a few weeks ago and they sound amazing. For the price you cannot beat them. They come with a detachable cable so you can pick your own or if the cable gets broken/cut/whatever you can just buy a standard aux cord and replace it. Super comfortable too. These are open though so if privacy is an issue you may not want these and i cannot help you.

If you want wireless, i still cant help you.

LOL, I did, and......

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=SwCbIXAv_Wg