New trucks

2 Sweet

A couple months ago I went on the Chevrolet website and priced out a new Silverado the way I would want it. Extended cab half ton, 4x4, 6.2L V8. Like most cars these days, you can't pick and choose certain options without automatically being bumped up a trim level and getting more stuff you couldn't care less about, but whatever. All said and done, it was $52k. For an extended cab half ton pickup! :eek: I can't imagine what a crew cab diesel 2500 HD would cost.

Anyway, over the years I've noticed a lot of trucks on the road around here that were starting to rust after just 5-10 years. For a while it was mostly Dodges but lately I've been seeing some mid/late 2000s trucks of all makes with rust on them. So if I'm living in the rust belt and could afford to spend $50k on a brand new truck, why would I consider buying anything but a new Ford with it's aluminum body? Is there any downside to the aluminum....repair costs, long term durability, etc? I heard a while back that the other manufacturers were eventually going to follow suit and go aluminum as well, but no idea if/when it'll happen.

The only downside to gas prices being down is that truck prices (new and used) seem to be inflated, but maybe I'm just out of touch.

A couple months ago I went on the Chevrolet website and priced out a new Silverado the way I would want it. Extended cab half ton, 4x4, 6.2L V8. Like most cars these days, you can't pick and choose certain options without automatically being bumped up a trim level and getting more stuff you couldn't care less about, but whatever. All said and done, it was $52k. For an extended cab half ton pickup! :eek: I can't imagine what a crew cab diesel 2500 HD would cost.

Anyway, over the years I've noticed a lot of trucks on the road around here that were starting to rust after just 5-10 years. For a while it was mostly Dodges but lately I've been seeing some mid/late 2000s trucks of all makes with rust on them. So if I'm living in the rust belt and could afford to spend $50k on a brand new truck, why would I consider buying anything but a new Ford with it's aluminum body? Is there any downside to the aluminum....repair costs, long term durability, etc? I heard a while back that the other manufacturers were eventually going to follow suit and go aluminum as well, but no idea if/when it'll happen.

The only downside to gas prices being down is that truck prices (new and used) seem to be inflated, but maybe I'm just out of touch.

The current price level of light-duty, full-size pickup trucks has been like this for the last several years. Most brands sell half-ton that can be equipped to reach MSRP in the $70k range (check out Sierra Denali Ultimate trim). The 6.2l engine in GM line up requires a high trim level, LTZ is a minimum in Chevrolet and SLT in GMC.

MSRP is one thing, but the discount is massive. I've been running a scenario for the third year now to spend a small amount of money every year to be able to drive a new truck. So, while the MSRP seems monstrous, it's not so bad in the bigger picture.

Corrosion problem is not just in the body, but more importantly in the frame. Ford aluminum body panels address only one aspect, the rest of the truck uses mainly steel. The aluminum panels also carry a more expensive repair cost in general, but it should not be by much.

If you never get an accident the aluminum bodied Fords are cool, but google them getting wrecked. They peel open something horrible.

You see so many rusted trucks because people don't keep them clean, I'm a firm believer that even in the rust belt vehicles can be kept nice if you try. My wife's Cobalt is a 2009, has no rust, and looks nice. I mean it's still a Cobalt but for one that has never been in a garage the worst thing is the peeling clearcoat on the wheels.

I was JUST thinking of something similar...it seems to me that Chryslers - from RAM's to daily-driver Challengers and Chargers - are all rusting pretty badly for what seem to be relatively young ages.

I've see. 201x Ram's with rust-through over their wheel wells.

If it's not The car is themselves that are cheap, it's their owners that beat them the crap from the day they were new.

I've got a 16 f150 and love it. It's a crew cab 4wd and was a hell of a lot less than $52k. This one is an ecoboost but had the v8 in my previous one, a 14.

^ I've driven my GF's dad's '16 Ecoboost F150 several times, and I really like it, especially compared to the previous gen V8 F-150's I've driven.

They are inflated. I debated a new ecoboost but found CPO trucks with better deals

^ Yeah, I've heard there are great deals out there on some CPO trucks, but they don't seem easy to come by.

You shouble be able to get over 20% off msrp on new trucks.

^ Now THIS definitely seems more reasonable

Corrosion problem is not just in the body, but more importantly in the frame. Ford aluminum body panels address only one aspect, the rest of the truck uses mainly steel. The aluminum panels also carry a more expensive repair cost in general, but it should not be by much.

^ Very true. The frame and everything underneath (brake/fuel lines etc) will still go to shit if not cleaned

If you never get an accident the aluminum bodied Fords are cool, but google them getting wrecked. They peel open something horrible.

You see so many rusted trucks because people don't keep them clean, I'm a firm believer that even in the rust belt vehicles can be kept nice if you try. My wife's Cobalt is a 2009, has no rust, and looks nice. I mean it's still a Cobalt but for one that has never been in a garage the worst thing is the peeling clearcoat on the wheels.

^ Interesting. Wrecks are something I didn't think of.

I work with a guy who has a 2010 Ram, he keeps the truck spotless. The truck is in GREAT shape, but it has rust over the wheel wells on the bed. I think you're right, but it also seems like some cars will rust regardless of how often they are cleaned

Maybe consider a 2-3 year old truck? As others have mentioned the discounts on new trucks are good but they are still very expensive imo. I couldn't justify the price. Used prices are high but you can still get a lot of truck or quite a bit less.

I recently bought a 14 GMC All Terrain for roughly $20k less than the $47k sticker. Its not perfect but I figure its in about the same condition it would be in if I would have bought it new and used it as a "truck" anyway. The price difference will allow me to own it free and clear 2-3 years sooner than new. And I don't have to be paranoid about scratches, etc.

I do want to do something with the frame though. I'm thinking about taking it to those guys out in Xenia? and having it coated 2x a year or whatever.

My insight will be around buying one.....call Jordan. I would personally never buy one new and pay that crazy prices when you can pick up a 1-2 maybe even go 3yrs old if you must at a huge savings. Love the Ecoboost motor vs the V8. I rented an Expedition dragging around 6 people and luggage and that thing made its way through traffic with authority even coming in a over 3 tons empty.

I was JUST thinking of something similar...it seems to me that Chryslers - from RAM's to daily-driver Challengers and Chargers - are all rusting pretty badly for what seem to be relatively young ages.

I've see. 201x Ram's with rust-through over their wheel wells.

If it's not The car is themselves that are cheap, it's their owners that beat them the crap from the day they were new.

^ Yep, the Rams always seem to start rusting on the beds above the rear wheel arches. Seems very common.

Maybe consider a 2-3 year old truck? As others have mentioned the discounts on new trucks are good but they are still very expensive imo. I couldn't justify the price. Used prices are high but you can still get a lot of truck or quite a bit less.

I'm really not even looking for a new truck, I just thought it was a good topic for discussion. When I was a field guy working in the home building industry, I needed a truck. I looked for 2010+ Sierras with the 5.3 and 6-speed auto, extended cab 4x4, and any truck under 100k miles was $20k. I said fuck that and drove old beater S10's every day while many of the other supervisors beat the hell out of their newer trucks with a monthly payment.

I thought Rams had foam or some shit in the bedsides that held water no? Might have just been the older trucks if they had the stuff. They ALL seem to rust there.

EDIT: I guess it is just the adhesive sealer stuff that holds the panels on. Probably somewhat of a foam consistency. I guess it holds moisture and the only way to remedy it is to replace the whole panel and not use sealer or something blah blah tl:dr

I've wondered since they started making the fords out of aluminum how the cab and bed mounts and everywhere else the aluminum bolts to steel will hold up. I work on all kinds of doors and some are aluminum and where aluminum bolts to steel the aluminum turns into a white crust and pretty much falls apart after a couple of years. Where it's wet and dirty it happens pretty fast but even when it's dry and clean conditions it still starts happening almost immediately. My new service truck is a '17 F250 and I plan on climbing under it every once in a while to check out whether it happens or not. Maybe they treat it with something that stops it from happening, but if they don't the cabs and beds will start falling off after a couple of years.

I have a 2007 ram (80k miles), and it's just starting to show the bubbles through the rear fenders. I've owned it since 30k and did the stake pockets caps to keep rain from washing down the inner fender, and it's always had the fender liners on it to keep water and dirt from splashing up inside from below. It's still happening....

I've talked to Kevin Clifford and he's not super confident that cutting it out and patching it will be a long term fix. He says he's seen it return in just a few years, and recommends doing complete bedsides anymore (super pricey).

It's paid off, and I've decided that I'm either going to find a good southern bed and start ever, or put a flatbed on it and dually conversion. Shitty regardless, on an otherwise solid truck. I feel like Aluminum bodies like ford, even considering some of their potential challenges, are about the only things that would steer me into paying for a new truck. If I could get myself a cummins in an aluminum bodied something, I'd be happy forever :).

I've wondered since they started making the fords out of aluminum how the cab and bed mounts and everywhere else the aluminum bolts to steel will hold up. I work on all kinds of doors and some are aluminum and where aluminum bolts to steel the aluminum turns into a white crust and pretty much falls apart after a couple of years. Where it's wet and dirty it happens pretty fast but even when it's dry and clean conditions it still starts happening almost immediately. My new service truck is a '17 F250 and I plan on climbing under it every once in a while to check out whether it happens or not. Maybe they treat it with something that stops it from happening, but if they don't the cabs and beds will start falling off after a couple of years.

They use plastic washers ans separators. People are having issues with aftermarket parts that are poorly designed and have steel on aluminum however. Also most cars are moving away from welds in favor of adhesives.

Galvanic corrosion