looking to get my motorcycle license

smokin5s

I was reading up on the Ohio BMV requirements and it said you have to take a basic riders course. When you take that course, do you provide your own bike or do you have to ride theirs? The reason for asking is I'm looking to potentially purchase a trike in the near future (wife said she's not opposed to a trike but completely against me getting something with 2 wheels) so I didn't know if that would require a different vehicle for class. Sorry, I'm new to all of this so I'm trying to understand what's required.

what if you want to ride your own? Is that allowed or you are required to use theirs?

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/basic_rider.stm

In certain situations students may be able to use their own motorcycle. Students must have a good reason why they need to use their own motorcycle.

Even though a student may have a good reason to use their own motorcycle, the authorization to use a student own motorcycle in the BRS/BRS-RR will vary by site.

Any motorcycle/scooter model manufactured for on-highway use that meets the following criteria may be used:

Engine displacement is between 100cc and 500cc.

Scooter/motorcycle is a 2-wheeled vehicle (not more than 2 wheels).

Motorcycle/scooter is street-legal.

Motorcycle/scooter is currently licensed and insured (proof of insurance must be shown to instructor). By using their own motorcycle or scooter the student is liable for any injury or damage to other students or equipment.

TL;DR you probably can't use a trike.

If/when you do the course, try to snag one of the standard-style bikes. So much easier to do the maneuverability than the cruisers.

EDIT: Also, FULL FACE HELMET. A client/friend of mine is an instructor and a few weeks ago he saw 2 people eat shit face first on the quick-stop test after locking up the rears. Said both of them would be getting new jaws if it weren't for full face helmets.

Maybe something changed, the SAFETY courses usually provide a bike. The actual test you had to bring your own. I got mine over 5 years ago so maybe something changed. Also then you didn't have to take anything but the riding test.

what if you want to ride your own? Is that allowed or you are required to use theirs?

You can call and ask. I took mine 15 years ago but they provided different types of bikes. They had 250 Ninjas, Honda Nighthawks, a 250 cc jap cruiser I never heard of etc. They wouldn't let me use my bike for insurance reasons. Just get there early and match up the bike type with what you ride. I also recommend taking the class. Plus if you use their bikes and someone runs into your bike, your personal bike is safe. Goodluck

I didn't take any safety course. I just got my temps, did some riding, and went back to do the maneuverability skills test thing. I was told that they have something special for people who buy trikes but I have no experience.

I did the course 2-3 years ago. They have bikes for you to use, I think they are all 250cc bikes. Super easy to ride around on and learn. I learned a lot of maneuverability with the rear brakes too, its well worth the time/money.

When we did the test at the end of the course, we used the same bikes we had been on all weekend. Some guys used their own, but I think they might have a rule that it has to be 500cc or less, not sure how strict they are on it.

Our instructors had said they did a couple of the harley training ones too. The only difference is paying more to do it at Harley. The state ohio classes fill up really fast though so I would suggest getting signed up ASAP.

Take the MSF class, it saved my life.

https://www.msf-usa.org

MSF used to run the Motorcycle Ohio program, it's been taken over by a new organization.

The friend that's an instructor said that the new format is much more about training the skills as applied to real life situations rather than just the skills themselves. I haven't taken the new version so I can't personally attest.