2018 Mustang GT - 460hp

SpaceGhost

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, we live in the greatest time for car engineering and new car performance than we ever have before. The things modern cars do now is just incredible. when I was a teenager a 420hp daily driver was a big deal. It either meant you had a claptrap muscle car that you spend a ton of money on in parts, that didn't idle, got crap mileage, loaded up the plugs at stoplights, and overheated in traffic, or you had a late model pony car supercharged to the gills and maybe you had some spray on it as well to push you into the 400+hp mark. Neither were what I would call modern car reliable, and neither you could jump in and drive to Niagara falls for a weekend. Now volvo's have 400hp. Fucking volvos. Like the car your mom drives. unreal.

On the other hand, I don't like that ford may be pushing the GT mustang upmarket with this move. One of the greatest things about the mustang is that it is the cheapest way to get into a rwd, v8, American modern muscle car for a lot of people. Stripper v8 stangs cost as much as mildly optioned v6s. Now ford may be pushing the GT into the price area where the shelbys are and some of the other higher options special cars are and expecting the ecoboost mustang to be the low cost performance entry. Ford is supposed to release pricing today and speculation is that it's going to be $40K (the current cheapest you can get a v8 GT stang is about $33K) which is a significant price hike.

I feel like the mustang IS the embodiment of the american v8 muscle car starter car. To now expect the ecoboost to fill that role kinda loses something in translation.

so I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, we live in the greatest time for car engineering and new car performance than we ever have before. The things modern cars do now is just incredible. when I was a teenager a 420hp daily driver was a big deal. It either meant you had a claptrap muscle car that you spend a ton of money on in parts, that didn't idle, got crap mileage, loaded up the plugs at stoplights, and overheated in traffic, or you had a late model pony car supercharged to the gills and maybe you had some spray on it as well to push you into the 400+hp mark. Neither were what I would call modern car reliable, and neither you could jump in and drive to Niagara falls for a weekend. Now volvo's have 400hp. Fucking volvos. Like the car your mom drives. unreal.

On the other hand, I don't like that ford may be pushing the GT mustang upmarket with this move. One of the greatest things about the mustang is that it is the cheapest way to get into a rwd, v8, American modern muscle car for a lot of people. Stripper v8 stangs cost as much as mildly optioned v6s. Now ford may be pushing the GT into the price area where the shelbys are and some of the other higher options special cars are and expecting the ecoboost mustang to be the low cost performance entry. Ford is supposed to release pricing today and speculation is that it's going to be $40K (the current cheapest you can get a v8 GT stang is about $33K) which is a significant price hike.

I feel like the mustang IS the embodiment of the american v8 muscle car starter car. To now expect the ecoboost to fill that role kinda loses something in translation.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a10356237/2018-ford-mustang-pricing-ecoboost-gt/

The 2018 Ford Mustang Starts at $25,585, GT Costs $35,095

Yesterday, Ford finally released some key specs for the 2018 Mustang and we were impressed. The GT gets 460 horsepower and sprints to 60 mph in under four seconds, but Ford didn't announce how much it'd cost. Today, the 2018 Mustang configurator just went live on Ford's website, and with it, pricing. The four-cylinder EcoBoost starts at $25,585, while the V8-powered GT is $35,095.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

For reference, the 2017 Mustang EcoBoost started at $26,000 and the GT was $33,000—that makes the new, base EcoBoost slightly cheaper than before, while the GT is $2000 dearer. Adding the Premium package to the EcoBoost costs a little over $5000, while it's just $4000 for the GT.

If you want a droptop Mustang, the EcoBoost Convertible starts at $31,085, and the GT Convertible—which is only available with the Premium Package—starts at $44,595. So, chopping your Mustang's roof off costs $5500, regardless of which engine you chose.

In addition to its revised looks, the 2018 Mustang gets a new, optional 10-speed automatic transmission that's currently used in the F-150 Raptor. On both models, this gearbox commands a $1600 premium. The EcoBoost doesn't get a power increase, but torque rises from 320 lb-ft to 350 lb-ft, and when equipped with the automatic, it runs to 60 mph in under five seconds.

We're most interested in the updated, $4000 Performance Package for the GT. In addition to sticky Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, the GT Performance Package gets optional, $1700 MagneRide dampers similar to those used on the Shelby GT350. These dampers work wonders in any car they're installed in, and promise big handling improvements for the Mustang.

The Performance Package is available for the EcoBoost too for just $2500, but there's no option for MagneRide Dampers. Both the EcoBoost and GT get a new Drag Strip mode to help with straight-line performance, while the V8-powered car gets an optional performance exhaust. And now, you can order the Performance Package on any Mustang—previously it was only available for manual-transmission hardtops.

The 2018 Mustang should arrive at dealers in the coming months, and hopefully, we'll drive it soon. We're especially interested in the GT Performance Package with MagneRide dampers—it sounds like it could give the excellent Camaro SS 1LE a run for its money.

consider this....the msrp of a base 2010 GT was roughly $28K in 2010. The current base is $36K. So that's about $1100 increase in the price of the car over the last 7 years. the average inflation rate between 2010 and 2016 is 1.9% which would have been about $680 per year. which means the base GT got $460 more expensive every year or $4600 since 2010.

So I ask you does the new GT have $4600 worth of content over a 2010? I personally think it does but do others? for arguments sake let's assume this is a late production 2010 with the 5.0 coyote motor.

Edited by Geeto67

The best thing about current model and incoming model mustangs are the fact that you can make up to 900rwhp on a stock block/stock heads/stock valvetrain/stock maf/stock throttle body. Please tell me another sub 40k car that can do that. You can make over double what it makes off the showroom floor by bolting on some parts, and the 6 speed auto will take tons of abuse stock, will handle 800rwhp with no modifications at all. I'd bet the new 10 speed will handle 1000rwhp untouched.