2018 Mustang GT - 460hp

SpaceGhost

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a10351073/2018-ford-mustang-gt-horsepower-acceleration-specs/

Shortly after it debuted in January, we guessed that the updated-for-2018 Mustang GT would offer 455 hp. Unfortunately we were wrong. Ford announced today that the 2018 GT actually makes 460 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque, and impressively, runs from 0-60 mph in under 4.0 seconds. Sounds good to us.

To achieve that acceleration figure, you'll have to order your Mustang GT with Ford's new 10-speed automatic—the same one used in the F-150 Raptor—and the Performance Package. The GT actually gets a new Drag Strip mode, which optimizes the transmission for straight-line performance.

"In Drag Strip mode, the engine torque doesn’t drop when you’re shifting," said Mustang chief engineer Gene Widmann in a statement. "You get peak engine torque and horsepower straight through."

Drag Strip mode is available on manual-transmission Mustangs too, but if you're looking for the quickest acceleration, get the automatic. In Performance-pack equipped GTs, Drag Strip mode also changes the settings of the car's MagneRide dampers, helping increase weight transfer to the rear axle, providing greater traction.

The 2019 Mustang EcoBoost also gets Drag Strip mode, and a torque increase from 320 lb-ft to 350 lb-ft, but power output remains unchanged at 310 hp. When equipped with the 10-speed automatic and the Performance package, the EcoBoost will run to 60 mph in under 5 Seconds.

37a89cfdde8600244e41a77561914ca6.jpg

Ford is quick to point out that the GT Performance Package runs to 60 mph quicker than a PDK-equipped Porsche 911 Carrera—a car that starts at $94,000. Pricing for the 2018 Mustang won't be announced until tomorrow, but for reference, the 2017 EcoBoost starts at $27,000 and the GT starts at $33,000.

For 2018, the Mustang gets all sorts of welcome improvements. We're especially excited that the GT Performance Package will get magnetic dampers similar to those on the GT350, and sticky Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tires. While we'd still chose the manual, the 10-speed automatic should be a big step forward from the current Mustang's six-speed.

If Ford doesn't increase pricing too much, the Mustang will be a performance bargain. We can't wait to drive it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your move, Camaro...

The new Camaros have been pulling sub-4sec 0-60's for almost two years now. Good to see the Mustang finally catching up. I would like to say it comes down to the driver, but meh.. they're automatics. Regardless, this shit is entertaining as fuck. We'll be seeing new 500hp cars for $33k soon (and slightly used 460hp cars for $20k even sooner!).

Flame suit on, but I was behind a 17 GT that had these tail lights - Ford GT look.

I typically hate mods that do not add performance, but I really liked them.

hqdefault.jpg

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2277/2129/1600/EyePoppingBrazilian2.jpg

Flame suit on, but I was behind a 17 GT that had these tail lights - Ford GT look.

I typically hate mods that do not add performance, but I really liked them.

hqdefault.jpg

IF you hate that- you'd better also hate this. Imitation is the greatest from of flattery.

4414606934_d23428d9d4_b.jpg