2017 College Football Thread

o0n8

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without a Doubt Urban is an great coach but I am questioning his ability to get these guys fired up for these games.

The psychology of sports is a fickle bitch. OSU has always seemed to think that when they hit the field that it's already a win. They were hyped up for Penn State, but it took a FUCKING MIRACLE to come back and win. They did it, but then they lay a boulder sized egg against Iowa. When will the guys realize that there is, and always will be, a huge fucking target on their backs and the only way to avoid let down is to stay hungry. It does wear on you as an athlete and having EVERYONE in Columbus blowing you after a big win can and apparently did get to their heads.

You lose Bosa in the 2nd quarter.....Guess what? That means that focus needs to go up and intensity has to be at its height. We were out coached and out played and fucking embarrassed. Let's see how the boys respond against Sparty and go from there. It sucks when you hope for them to be in the playoff every year, but this season isn't over yet.

I know it's way different than being scrutinized by a country, but the guys I grew up playing baseball with were expected to win a state title in high school. We were really fucking good, but fell 2 games short. The feeling of letting everyone down sucked. We never really went out expecting to win, but we had plenty of moments where it looked like the team wasn't in it in certain games. I understand how it feels to win big games and then have to go out the next day and try and keep the focus and intensity level up. Not always easy and we were fucking kids like these boys are at OSU.

Think of it this way, we have the ability to be in the hunt for the playoff year in and year out. A realistic shot of getting in each year. Rough problem to have....I guess :)

The psychology of sports is a fickle bitch. OSU has always seemed to think that when they hit the field that it's already a win. They were hyped up for Penn State, but it took a FUCKING MIRACLE to come back and win. They did it, but then they lay a boulder sized egg against Iowa. When will the guys realize that there is, and always will be, a huge fucking target on their backs and the only way to avoid let down is to stay hungry. It does wear on you as an athlete and having EVERYONE in Columbus blowing you after a big win can and apparently did get to their heads.

You lose Bosa in the 2nd quarter.....Guess what? That means that focus needs to go up and intensity has to be at its height. We were out coached and out played and fucking embarrassed. Let's see how the boys respond against Sparty and go from there. It sucks when you hope for them to be in the playoff every year, but this season isn't over yet.

I know it's way different than being scrutinized by a country, but the guys I grew up playing baseball with were expected to win a state title in high school. We were really fucking good, but fell 2 games short. The feeling of letting everyone down sucked. We never really went out expecting to win, but we had plenty of moments where it looked like the team wasn't in it in certain games. I understand how it feels to win big games and then have to go out the next day and try and keep the focus and intensity level up. Not always easy and we were fucking kids like these boys are at OSU.

Think of it this way, we have the ability to be in the hunt for the playoff year in and year out. A realistic shot of getting in each year. Rough problem to have....I guess :)

Maybe you didn't realize the context I am as hardcore of a buckeye fan as anyone... Seriously. I'm just getting sick of them playing down to their opponent or not showing up at all (AKA Clemson). The teams talent is there. The scheme (JT at Penn state for example) is there if we use it correctly.

So I come to landing on the teams intensity and being ready to play as our biggest problem. That lands mostly on the coaching staff and Urban is head of it all.. Thats all.

I am not even remotely suggesting I don't want Urban @ tOSU but I do think there is some cause for concern. He's got to get his guys to show up and play EVERY Saturday for all 4 quarters. We are not getting that. Honestly can't say we have gotten it consistently since 2014.

Edited by jerrodh

Trying about as hard as the last two B1G teams in the playoffs.

Ouch. Good one. Got me.

Hopefully 'Bama tries harder against Mercer. :lol: Can't wait for UGA to waffle stomp them. :lolguy:

Someone is still bitter "his" team couldn't beat our lowly 3rd string QB. :gabe:

Your 3rd string qb is the reason they won theirast three games. If Jt had started they wouldn't have Won. Card ale has an incredible arm and opened up the deep game.

Well, yeah, I don't disagree with that. Not at all. JT played a part in all the other games though, but I still agree he's not the greatest. It's astonishing that he's broken all of the records he has none the less. Quite a conundrum. I have a love/hate with him.

Yeah I think so too. I'm assuming he'll go to his alma mater, but maybe there's a chance he goes to Florida, idk. If Florida can't get Frost, I'm hoping they get Matt Campbell from Iowa State

I'm gonna go ahead and call it now, Scott Frost will absolutely 100% be the next head coach at Florida, and he will return them to prominence.

Also, I think Mike Norvell goes to Tennessee and he instantly makes them better.

The SEC East will finally matter again

Maybe you didn't realize the context I am as hardcore of a buckeye fan as anyone... Seriously. I'm just getting sick of them playing down to their opponent or not showing up at all (AKA Clemson). The teams talent is there. The scheme (JT at Penn state for example) is there if we use it correctly.

So I come to landing on the teams intensity and being ready to play as our biggest problem. That lands mostly on the coaching staff and Urban is head of it all.. Thats all.

I am not even remotely suggesting I don't want Urban @ tOSU but I do think there is some cause for concern. He's got to get his guys to show up and play EVERY Saturday for all 4 quarters. We are not getting that. Honestly can't say we have gotten it consistently since 2014.

I wasn't coming down on you. Just kind of venting. I agree that the lack of intensity killed them. Playing the whole game every time is what it takes.

This team sorely misses Luke Fickell and his game planning and LB coaching. It's been apparent all year, but really showed on Saturday with the LBs looking lost and the defense not being able to handle Iowa's base offense.

This will make anyone who ever played any level of football want to pull their hair out

lY4oD9B.gif

The other kids on the sideline are yelling "sweeeeeeeeeep" and you should RUN TO YOUR FUCKING CONE

This will make anyone who ever played any level of football want to pull their hair out

lY4oD9B.gif

The other kids on the sideline are yelling "sweeeeeeeeeep" and you should RUN TO YOUR FUCKING CONE

Arnette sucks. Worst DB we have. He constantly makes horrible decisions and can't cover anyone. He sucks as tackling and he isn't even that fast. Add in that our LBs have no idea what's going on in the middle of the field if it's not a run play and combine that with a pro style offense that likes to use a 2 TE set it spells disaster. I've never watched an Ohio State defense look so confused it was completely embarrassing for them and our coaching staff. I don't understand how you can come into a game that unprepared. Says quite a lot about our coaches right now...

So what are expectations for the rest of the season? You guys think we'll drop 1 more? If not, best case scenario we win the Big10 and go to a New Year's bowl?

Obviously I'm still pulling for us to win the B1G. This weeks game against MSU will decide who goes to Indy to play Wisconsin. I wouldn't doubt MSU's offense looks like a top 5 offense in college football though after what we saw this past weekend. All MSU has to do is watch about 10 minutes of tape and see that we can't cover anything in the middle of the field and just attack it all game and we won't stop them.

I'm glad we got exploited though. The last thing I wanted was to get back to the playoffs and get completely humiliated again. It's really disheartening to see teams with this much talent (the last 3 years) fail to meet expectations and show up to big games. It has to fall back on coaching. No, I'm not saying Urban is on any sort of hot seat or even a warm seat, but he seems to have lost his edge.

To answer your question, I think we should still expect to win the B1G and play a top 8 team in a NY6 bowl. Although I wouldn't be surprised if we lose 1 more game and then lose our bowl game and finish with 4 losses.

Arnette sucks. Worst DB we have. He constantly makes horrible decisions and can't cover anyone. He sucks as tackling and he isn't even that fast. Add in that our LBs have no idea what's going on in the middle of the field if it's not a run play and combine that with a pro style offense that likes to use a 2 TE set it spells disaster. I've never watched an Ohio State defense look so confused it was completely embarrassing for them and our coaching staff. I don't understand how you can come into a game that unprepared. Says quite a lot about our coaches right now...

They have no solid base defense. Against a Pro Style 2 TE offense with the players on Ohio State, they should have been able to go into a 4-3 Cover 2 and tell Iowa to bring it. Schiano instead kept tryng to get fancy, confused the shit out of his players, and stack on how bad of football they were playing to begin with and it was a disaster.

How soon til urban leaves? That's his Mo. Has. Really great year or two and then can't get back to that and decides he needs a break

He did that once, and it was in toxic Gainesville.

Ok, you're right, this totally makes Gainesville toxic :rolleyes:

Oh this is just the most current. They have been one of the most arrested teams year after year, way before Urban all the way until now.