2017 College Football Thread

o0n8

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Alabama, a team that feasted on SEC weaklings early in the season but looked quite mortal late in the year gets a pass into the playoff without winning a conference title or beating another elite team. That’s a bad precedent to set for the committee, no matter what happens from here.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2017/12/03/college-football-playoff-committee-got-wrong-alabama-brand-loyalty-only/917333001/

Good read. They make some valid points. As a diehard OSU fan I'm honestly not as mad as most seem to be. If we would have taken care of business at Iowa like we should have this would have never happened.

But that being said this decision was the wrong one for so many reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see schools either cancelling/rescheduling tough out of conference games now for easier games. We should definitely schedule Mercer from now on the week before Michigan. Oh wait Alabama already has them locked up. FML

There is absolutely no benefit for scheduling tougher opponents. It's been made clear it doesn't matter who you play as long as your 12-0 or 11-1 and preferably win your title game but obviously not necessary (see alabama)

Lets just expand this to 8 teams and get this over and never have to deal with this bullshit again.

I cant find it but I read an article earlier that said we should replace the conference title games and make that the first round of the playoffs. So you wouldn't be adding a game for say to pretty much anyones schedules (player safety & fatigue).

I for one would gladly give up the tradition of conference title games to add another round of playoffs. It would absolutely boost TV, sponsorship, and advertising dollars by far for all involved.

The first round would also essentially be title games as well anyway as you'd see the top teams from the conferences in them.

Ohio State lost by 30+ and had a flag planted on there home field. Could they on a good day play with anyone, possibly. In all honesty, when was the last time you saw any team that made the playoffs get beat and disrespected like that. Until the Big 10 wins most of the bowl games versus out of conference competition, the same cycle will repeat time and time again.

Strong supporters of OSU. Jump in the same minivan with twinkle toes and drown yourselves in Hoover dam

I'm a realistic fan. Not one of the ignorant T-Shirt fans that seem to be plentiful in Ohio... We have a great team minus our QB who I respect but can't throw a fking football which supposed to be his main job.

Why did Alabama get in over Wisconsin?

Why did Wisconsin even play in the B1G CCG? They were punished for playing an extra game while Bama played 2 less games than them and still got in.

I am fine with OSU being out - just to be clear. You simply cannot lose by 30 to an unranked team and expect to get in. That is why I pointed to Wisconsin. They have the same resume as Alabama. I don’t want to hear about the “eye test” either - go back and watch some of Alabama’s work against garbage teams. They often struggled and cannot consistently throw the ball.

In a year when everybody agrees the SEC has a down year they get 2 teams in - makes no sense. I do hope they get manhandled but, given the recruiting they have done and their ridiculously conservative game plans, they may keep them close and steal one or 2 of them.

Alabama's offense suffered year 2 with jalen. He isn't a pocket passer like JT isn't a pocket passer. They tried to make him one and he is taking sacks and not going through progressions properly. What made him explosive was him scrambling and making plays outside the pocket. He isn't going to be an NFL qb much like JT isn't going to be a NFL qb. Now there back up Tua will be an NFL qb. He is mariotta 2.0. Even from same high school. If they want that style of playing g they need to bench hurts. If they want a qb with legs and create plays then let Jalen do his thing.

Bama has one of the best Rb corps in all of football. Its six men deep who are all great.

We have super fast and talented wide receivers. And finally a talented tight end group.

We can play with anyone and be lethal but the play calling has got to be different and we need to run more and pass less or use our back up

Alabama's offense suffered year 2 with jalen. He isn't a pocket passer like JT isn't a pocket passer. They tried to make him one and he is taking sacks and not going through progressions properly. What made him explosive was him scrambling and making plays outside the pocket. He isn't going to be an NFL qb much like JT isn't going to be a NFL qb. Now there back up Tua will be an NFL qb. He is mariotta 2.0. Even from same high school. If they want that style of playing g they need to bench hurts. If they want a qb with legs and create plays then let Jalen do his thing.

Bama has one of the best Rb corps in all of football. Its six men deep who are all great.

We have super fast and talented wide receivers. And finally a talented tight end group.

We can play with anyone and be lethal but the play calling has got to be different and we need to run more and pass less or use our back up

So what you're capable of, not what you're actually doing, is the criteria for getting in now?

Funny how a lot of Buckeye fans always shit on Gator fans for "not appreciating Urban Meyer" enough, yet you guys are so quick to shit all over Urban right after he wins the Big Ten championship. Some of the stuff I'm seeing on Bucknuts is the exact same shit many Gator fans were saying back in 2010 when UF went 7-5