CR collective. Need suggestions for the next big project.

Tinman

Keep in mind, guys...whatever the body is needs to be from a "street" car with a VIN so that it can be titled.

Or he can title it the way homebuilt kit cars are titled. You get an inspection done with the highway patrol (bring all reciepts and photos of the build) and they give you a new vin. It's almost the same inspection for getting salvage cars back on the road.

Ideally, Matt, I'd assume having an Ohio-titled donor (especially old enough for historical tags) would be ideal to get it in your possession easily, and then get the work done to transplant the body without the hassle of DMV inspections, etc...

I'll add that you probably want a uni-body car if you are still going the body route. Its easier to explain "adding a roll cage" than building a new chassis if anybody starts to go sniffing about vin tampering. plus no frame to discard.

some other food for thought:

E28 BMWs (1985-1988 5 series) are 103.3" wheelbase as are the 6 series sharks from the 1980's.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The salvage title or kitcar process is both too much of a hassle and borderline impossible. Both require inspections and the later requires receipts for all major components which I do not have as the engine was built a decade ago.

A full frame or unibody car will be fine as only the skin will make it to the final product. A truck body will not work as the roll cage section of the chassis would be halfway into the bed, along with the driver's seat.

Keep in mind, guys...whatever the body is needs to be from a "street" car with a VIN so that it can be titled.

Ideally, Matt, I'd assume having an Ohio-titled donor (especially old enough for historical tags) would be ideal to get it in your possession easily, and then get the work done to transplant the body without the hassle of DMV inspections, etc...

If you get a donor from out of state, you'll DEFINITELY want to Ohio-title it in your name as it sits before doing the body swap!!

Exactly.

Chevrolet Camaro (third generation)

Dimensions

Wheelbase 2,565 mm (101.0 in) :no::no::fuuuu:

Length 1982–1987: 4,877 mm (192.0 in) 1988–1992: 4,890 mm (192.5 in)

Width 1,850 mm (72.8 in)

In the spirit of Nascarlo, I love the idea of something rusty to skin the chassis, as it can be obtained for cheap, and no one will miss it if it's hacked to death. However, an Eastside or Southside G-body with crap engine will do just nicely as well, I think :lol:

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/d/1986-monte-carlo/6340378812.html

Also, 9th Gen Cadillac Eldorado (1986-1991) - 108" WB, but 71-72" wide.

Edited by zeitgeist57

Merkur, very cool. I'm too hillbilly for a Euro ride though.

Third gen F body would be cool but I don't think it has enough greenhouse room for the roll cage structure.

If it's G body, it's has to be an aero version. Pontiac pulled it off best in my opinion but those are stupid rare.

Eldorado? Fuck, that's a challenge to make look cool. I love a challenge.

If you can find me an Amazon for a decent price, it's on.

A new possibility is upon my radar, Mercedes CLK. Wheelbase is close enough. Overall width is about right. I've spotted one decent example on craiglist and I'm guessing there are more out there for cheap due to German engineering issues. If anyone happening across this thread knows of a cheap clean example with mechanical issues for sale, please post it here.

I am liking the Mercedes option...taking something that was originally a refined, teutonic autobahn cruiser and show-upping car, ripping it's spine out like a Mortal Kombat fatality move, and draping it's face on the frame of a race car. :lol:

On that note, I just opened up this months' Road and Track and was remindeed of the "Red Sow" (awaiting Kerry's feverish response with historical copy/pasting).

http://www.car137.com/2010/04/mercedes-benz-300sel-red-sow.html

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_cOgOgAHQIWY/S91CutbWayI/AAAAAAAAAoE/bzsUpfM3UKU/s1600/1920x1200-amg-racing-saloon.jpg

Mercedes W108/W109 chassis...108-112in wheelbase but 71in width. Find a slightly rusty one (but still with some tank-thick metal panels), rip the bumpers off, do the transplant and throw some Hella's on the front.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W108

What about a W114/W115? There are a lot of rusty-rockered sub-$1500 of those around...especially in non-turbo diesel variants. 108" wheelbase and around 70" width.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W114

I dig the old school Mercedes direction. I imagine finding one in coupe form will be difficult to impossible. Four door sedans won't fit the rollcage structure very well and that's a sticking point for me. I looked briefly at the vintage Mercedes SLs but they are far too small to stretch over the chassis.

I’m not sure on the demension of this, but this would be kinda cool

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/d/1995-mercedes-e320-station/6346907761.html

It would be but I gave up on the 4 door wagon idea due to egress issues. I'm far from fat but would like to be able to get in and out easily through a long coupe door window. The cage makes any actual door useless, it's going to be a Duke boys type entrance/exit.

There is a 2002 clk430 on Dayton craigslist for $2000 bad running engine

Texted back and forth with him as he was looking for a work truck trade. I think my work truck is too ugly for him.

Wow.. guess I figured 122s and PV544s would be easier to find. I may withdraw my suggestion as you ain't getting mine!

Rarer than hen's teeth.

I'm going to look at a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe this week. If it's solid and will fit over the cage, I think this project might just get underway. Stay tuned for the next half decade as I overthink and under engineer a catastrophe.

I'm going to look at a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe this week. If it's solid and will fit over the cage, I think this project might just get underway. Stay tuned for the next half decade as I overthink and under engineer a catastrophe.

and I get another 2.3T to put in something ;)