CR collective. Need suggestions for the next big project.

Tinman

So, this has been on jack stands in my garage for far too long.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=784&pictureid=6642

2012 Howe TA2 road race chassis, fuck 2012! Half a decade and little progress. The original plan was to build it for NASA Super Unlimited and retire Black Betty, the 3800 powered RX7 I had been racing in NASA Performance Touring D. The build started off great. Set the SB2 SBC from the old gray RX7 between the framerails and built the 180 degree headers for it.

Then things got in the way. I started racing Black Betty with the fine folks from Road and Track in the American Endurance Racing series. The remodeling of the house started. I bought a Z06, mid life crisis and all. And a bunch of other poor excuses for not working on it.

But now, a new plan. I hate to admit it, but the Roadkill episode featuring the Nascarlo kinda put one of those cartoon lit light bulbs over my stubborn noggin. Driving something with over 600 naturally aspirated horsepower on 12" wide sticky tires that weighs less than a current compact car on the street sounds like my kind of fun. So I'm thinking I need a car with a clean VIN that will "fit" over the chassis

The multi point challenge, I don't want to modify the Howe chassis in any major way that would prevent the original Super Unlimited plan to happen. I do not want to alter the wheelbase of the chassis and don't want to alter the wheelbase of the VIN donor more than an inch or two, it has to look right. I don't want to add too much weight, just going to steel versus a racing fiberglass body will likely put it close to 3500lbs.

So, I'm on the search for a cheap two door car with a wheelbase of 104" +or- 2". It has to fit over the rollcage, so it will need to be front engine and rear wheel drive or at least have the silhouette that makes it appear so. Width is a plus as the door bars measure 72" wide. And a larger concern, unless using a Kenworth or Peterbuilt, wide body fenders will need to be fabricated as the track width is roughly four metric fuckyards. I would like to be able to blend the wider fenders on gracefully and not have them look ridiculous.

What I have found so far and am leaning towards is a 9th gen (83-88) Thunderbird. Wheelbase is spot on. Overall width is an inch shy of the door bars but I have a contingency plan for that. Now, I ask you CR. What else is out there? What am I overlooking? Should I really be doing this?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt, I love the way you're thinking.

As a big fan of Roadkill, I read that first paragraph, saw that chassis and instantly thought Nascarlo myself. :lol::lol: why spend a bunch of money hacking up old metal to try to make it perform like that chassis....when you could just RESKIN THAT THING?

Also, I'm waiting for Kerry to chime in with his auto-savant knowledge...

Probably should not be doing it first off but lol

What about height requirements? As far as a big enough car and staying with your GMish theme I am thinking a 97-03 Grand Prix maybe work??

My first thought as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

And CR delivers.

You won't catch me saying this in public, but yes the older Grad Prix's do have some nice lines.

Height should not be an issue, lower roof line would be better. At ride height, the roll cage is roughly 42" from the ground.

The more pictures of Awesome Bill from Dawsonville posted will greatly sway me towards the T-bird.

The wheelbase chart, Win! But Neon, no. Volvo 740... wagon, hmm...

Well done on the wheelbase database...

...but what about 72" width? I'd love to see some forgotten '70s junk show up as a donor.

For example, a Chevy Citation is 104.9" WB, but only 68" wide. :D

However, a Chrysler Cordoba is 115" WB and 77" wide. :o

G-bodies are 108"WB but 72"wide...

Lots of excellent suggestions. Thanks gents.

The Barreta GTU is a great looking body. Looked even better in the IMSA race car form it was named after. I don't think the roof would be wide enough though and that is an issue as I want to use the factory glass windshield.

I like the Cordobas too. I'm imagining running the exhaust out of the opera windows in the C pillars. It's a sickness.

G bodies would be wide enough but the wheelbase is a bit long and I don't think I could find a cheap one without a mess of around here.

The Clyde Torkle Chicken Pit Special is still in the lead. With the 740 wagon running a close second.

Keep in mind, guys...whatever the body is needs to be from a "street" car with a VIN so that it can be titled.

Ideally, Matt, I'd assume having an Ohio-titled donor (especially old enough for historical tags) would be ideal to get it in your possession easily, and then get the work done to transplant the body without the hassle of DMV inspections, etc...

If you get a donor from out of state, you'll DEFINITELY want to Ohio-title it in your name as it sits before doing the body swap!!