New Car Itch

TTQ B4U

I'll be in the minority when I say I really enjoy the model S interior. I like the minimalist approach to the interior, it doesn't need fake wood grains, or a billion buttons knobs and switches, everything can be done from the screen. All the materials feel well made and purpose driven and are the right balance of style and comfort.

I'm sure if I drove one daily I'd find some things that would bother me but from the times I've driven them, things are comfortable and just make sense. Only thing that could make them cooler would be the seats out of an SL550, their is more tech in those seats than most entire cars.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since someone mentioned the Bolt.

How about a Bolt vs Volt back to back? The Volt looks MUCH better externally. May try to rent one in Vegas next week

Personally the Volt is a much better car then people give it credit for. If your lifestyle supports all electric use you can use the car as an electric car and it will consume maybe a gallon of gas a year turning the engine on and off to keep it operating properly. However, if you find yourself in a situation where your electric juice runs out, you aren't stranded and can just fill up at a gas station. Something not easily said about a bolt, a leaf, or anything tesla makes.

Dad had a fully loaded Volt the first year they came out. It's touch screen wasn't tesla impressive, but honestly everything else about it was as nice as tesla including the leather. You don't see a lot of fully loaded volts because most people buying are mindful of the tax credits and want to keep the cost cheap. His second Volt, which was ordered by the son of a friend who then bought a Mercedes instead, wasn't nearly as nice because it had the kind of cost cutting decisions a college kid would make.

I understand the "status" symbol of the Tesla, but honestly - the idea of an electric car as a status symbol at all is laughable. Every time I see a tesla the only message it sends to me is "look at me, I'm so rich I can afford a completely useless car that costs as much as a house". The price alone negates any savings you have going on from not using gasoline, and the mfg of the car isn't exactly green so having one doesn't make you an environmental hero.

Personally, as a car person, if I was hell bent on having an "electric" car I would look at a Volt, a bolt, a Leaf, and a used CR-Z (because stick shift hybrid is the best hybrid). Although the prius is a great option as well it's too beige for me.

If I was looking for a low ET electric drag car that I trailer to the track I'd look at a used tesla P85D or P100D with the ludicrous speed mode. But I would also look at used drag rollers and converting to electric power (it's surprisingly cheaper than you think). Once you take away the "speed mode" and the tesla name plate status - the rest of the car is just cheapest new 5 series bmw nice and not nearly as useful.

Personally the Volt is a much better car then people give it credit for. If your lifestyle supports all electric use you can use the car as an electric car and it will consume maybe a gallon of gas a year turning the engine on and off to keep it operating properly. However, if you find yourself in a situation where your electric juice runs out, you aren't stranded and can just fill up at a gas station. Something not easily said about a bolt, a leaf, or anything tesla makes.

definitely see your point on the Volt and it's a decent option for someone looking to go green and perhaps integrate some techno-cool into it but overall, it's rather boring and just a more expensive solution that goes from A to B. Not for me. I'd sooner buy a used Accord to save on gas if that was even a care for me. MPG's mean nothing to me and really never have. I'd drive a Hellcat if it was AWD and didn't scream Red-Neck Mullet at me.

I understand the "status" symbol of the Tesla, but honestly - the idea of an electric car as a status symbol at all is laughable. Every time I see a tesla the only message it sends to me is "look at me, I'm so rich I can afford a completely useless car that costs as much as a house". The price alone negates any savings you have going on from not using gasoline, and the mfg of the car isn't exactly green so having one doesn't make you an environmental hero.
A big part of the car is the status or rarity of owning a Tesla. Nothing wrong with that even if you don't agree with it. Nearly everyone on CR is an expressive buyer in some fashion or another.

Personally, as a car person, if I was hell bent on having an "electric" car I would look at a Volt, a bolt, a Leaf, and a used CR-Z (because stick shift hybrid is the best hybrid). Although the prius is a great option as well it's too beige for me.
Meh....the ones you list are boring and have near zero interest or character factor. Again, you're perhaps not into that but I do like the idea of being a bit different and having something that others don't, regardless of the reason. It is for me more about being an early adopter vs green. Honestly, green is the last reason I'm interested in as my life and the way I live isn't going to make or break the world. What has me interested most is that it's different and a night/day departure from the norm. Less moving parts and an air of simplicity even though I know it's anything but simple.

Once you take away the "speed mode" and the tesla name plate status - the rest of the car is just cheapest new 5 series bmw nice and not nearly as useful.
Haven't seen one in person but I think you're being kind to the model 3 but perhaps are referencing the model S in the above. The 3 in that Doug video is on par inside with a base Altima IMO. That very well may be the make or break if I even go that route. In fact it just moved me back away from it a bit. Definitely needs a nicer looking steering wheel. If that's the stock one, I might just puke in my mouth a little. Still haven't ruled out a used dual motor Model S.

Right now, I'm looking at options that will involve buying two vehicles but put me all over the board. Drove and priced out a Ford Edge Sport which I'd drive until next year when I finally decide on my car at which point I'd make a move and give the Edge to my wife. I might also simply keep my Audi, buy the Edge or similar for my wife and then buy a used Accord for my son who will be driving in 1-2 years and simply rock it as a daily now and then to keep miles off my car and to take on business rips that I don't want to use mine for. Again, I'm a mess in the head car wise......LOL!

definitely see your point on the Volt and it's a decent option for someone looking to go green and perhaps integrate some techno-cool into it but overall, it's rather boring and just a more expensive solution that goes from A to B. Not for me. I'd sooner buy a used Accord to save on gas if that was even a care for me. MPG's mean nothing to me and really never have. I'd drive a Hellcat if it was AWD and didn't scream Red-Neck Mullet at me.

Then why an EV?

A big part of the car is the status or rarity of owning a Tesla. Nothing wrong with that even if you don't agree with it. Nearly everyone on CR is an expressive buyer in some fashion or another.

Are they that rare though? I pass at least 5 every day of some model or another, mostly model S and X's. You know what's rare and a Tesla? the roadster. I drove it for an article I wrote about it years ago...it's the most fun I've had with an electric car and I'm including all those RC cars I used play with and any gold karts I may have wrecked. Aside from the one I drove, I have never seen another in the flesh - I think they made 3000 of them total. The 3 is only rare because it isn't on sale yet (or hasn't been on sale very long - I forget which).

you know what is rare? A CR-Z with a manual transmission. I have only seen one since I moved here and it's the same one over and over again (it's lowered with ground effects). Even rarer than that? the insight. The CR-Z isn't "boring" but it ain't a rich person's car either. The first gen Civic Hybrids are stick also and pretty rare - and I bet all the suspension stuff for the regular civic bolts to it so you could probably build a nice handling car. But it will still be a car of the proletariat.

Some things are status because they are a great product (like an old coach briefcase before they became a "fashion brand"), and some things are status just because you spent a lot of money (like an iphone X).

Meh....the ones you list are boring and have near zero interest or character factor. Again, you're perhaps not into that but I do like the idea of being a bit different and having something that others don't, regardless of the reason. It is for me more about being an early adopter vs green. Honestly, green is the last reason I'm interested in as my life and the way I live isn't going to make or break the world. What has me interested most is that it's different and a night/day departure from the norm. Less moving parts and an air of simplicity even though I know it's anything but simple.

The ones I listed are not "status" cars. They are cars that do a job, the same job as the tesla, well. Talking about a "new" car in general as an object with "character" is nonsense. I can understand being an "early adopter" of a tech but again, there are plenty of things here that do that - nearly every car mfg has an EV at this point and they are all rare. The only one that is a "status" symbol is the Tesla and that's only because it costs the most and their CEO is a loon.

Haven't seen one in person but I think you're being kind to the model 3 but perhaps are referencing the model S in the above. The 3 in that Doug video is on par inside with a base Altima IMO. That very well may be the make or break if I even go that route. In fact it just moved me back away from it a bit. Definitely needs a nicer looking steering wheel. If that's the stock one, I might just puke in my mouth a little. Still haven't ruled out a used dual motor Model S.

I am. I've only seen pics of the Model 3, but I have sat in an X, an S, and a roadster. The only draw to a tesla over the other options is that it's nice inside, shows the world you are an Elon Fanboi, and doesn't make you look poor. The model 3 losses the thread on 2 of these 3 items.

Right now, I'm looking at options that will involve buying two vehicles but put me all over the board. Drove and priced out a Ford Edge Sport which I'd drive until next year when I finally decide on my car at which point I'd make a move and give the Edge to my wife. I might also simply keep my Audi, buy the Edge or similar for my wife and then buy a used Accord for my son who will be driving in 1-2 years and simply rock it as a daily now and then to keep miles off my car and to take on business rips that I don't want to use mine for. Again, I'm a mess in the head car wise......LOL!

Keep the Audi. It's fast, it's beautiful, it's comfy, and you already own it. Buy a CR-Z with a stick for your kid and use it to rack up miles till he gets his license (a nice low mile used one will cost $8K). Honestly, I was lucky that gas was cheap when I was learning to drive, and if the price starts to go up, having a fuel efficient hybrid that is a student's car is not going to stress his or your wallet.

Then why an EV?

less about MPG's and more about making a move to the future and an early adoption of some pretty cool tech.

Are they that rare though? I pass at least 5 every day of some model or another, mostly model S and X's.
far more rare than my car and especially so among those I associate with that can easily afford one but perhaps aren't yet willing to make the leap to one. Many of my co-workers and customers are too stogy and conservative. They need to live a little.

You know what's rare and a Tesla? the roadster.
No value to me at all as this will be my daily.

you know what is rare? A CR-Z with a manual transmission. But it will still be a car of the proletariat.
Zero interest from me. Again, daily driver and not something I'd want to own in any form. You nailed that part...

The ones I listed are not "status" cars. They are cars that do a job
that's my point though. not interested in a car that simply does a job.

Talking about a "new" car in general as an object with "character" is nonsense. I can understand being an "early adopter" of a tech but again, there are plenty of things here that do that - nearly every car mfg has an EV at this point and they are all rare. The only one that is a "status" symbol is the Tesla and that's only because it costs the most and their CEO is a loon.
you and I will have to disagree on many points here but that's okay as it's my money and my car. he may be a loon but he's a go-getter and a thinker and while you may not like him, he's done pretty well and if you can't appreciate what he's brought the world of cars then I can't help you. We all have opinions.

I am. I've only seen pics of the Model 3, but I have sat in an X, an S, and a roadster. The only draw to a tesla over the other options is that it's nice inside, shows the world you are an Elon Fanboi, and doesn't make you look poor. The model 3 losses the thread on 2 of these 3 items.
IMO Tesla shows me people who aren't afraid to take risks, who aren't afraid to be different, who enjoy things with a passion, including breaking away from the pack and who yes, perhaps can afford to do so, which is also a good thing

Keep the Audi. It's fast, it's beautiful, it's comfy, and you already own it. Buy a CR-Z with a stick for your kid and use it to rack up miles till he gets his license (a nice low mile used one will cost $8K). Honestly, I was lucky that gas was cheap when I was learning to drive, and if the price starts to go up, having a fuel efficient hybrid that is a student's car is not going to stress his or your wallet.
The above is certainly an option I'm considering. The CR-Z may be something worth looking at if the price is right and miles not high, although reliability is something I'd have to look at since I've zero knowledge of them outside they are not my kind of car. That said, I'd rather have him and me in a decent Accord vs the CR-Z. I'm pressing my neighbor to sell hers which is a 2008 EX-L Coupe loaded with everything and only 68k on the clock. She pulled back once I came over with my checkbook. She may still cave though.

CRZ with a manual is one of the best MTs I've ever driven.

We had company lease CRZ CVT for my wife. It was a pretty bad CVT, very disconnected/rubber-band feeling. If it had the MT my friends I drove had, I might still have that car. I really liked the form factor, but I like small cars.

My friend just sold his for IIRC<$10k, but it was 'higher' mileage I think, >100kmi.

Dad had a fully loaded Volt the first year they came out. It's touch screen wasn't tesla impressive, but honestly everything else about it was as nice as tesla including the leather. You don't see a lot of fully loaded volts because most people buying are mindful of the tax credits and want to keep the cost cheap. His second Volt, which was ordered by the son of a friend who then bought a Mercedes instead, wasn't nearly as nice because it had the kind of cost cutting decisions a college kid would make.

This fully loaded?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=466407457&zip=44011&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D44011%26startYear%3D1981%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceASC%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2018%26modelCodeList%3DVOLT%26makeCodeList%3DCHEV%26searchRadius%3D0%26trimCodeList%3DVOLT%257CPremium&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2018&modelCodeList=VOLT&makeCodeList=CHEV&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=CHEV&modelCode1=VOLT

They way I look at it- I dont know if 30K more is worth it to get into a used Model S

less about MPG's and more about making a move to the future and an early adoption of some pretty cool tech.

The only thing I think Tesla does right is smart tech to car integration. But they own their system where as ford/chevy/toyota/honda license it from others. Everyone will catch up at some point.

far more rare than my car and especially so among those I associate with that can easily afford one but perhaps aren't yet willing to make the leap to one. Many of my co-workers and customers are too stogy and conservative. They need to live a little.

Considering how politically conservative you are this is uncharacteristic. The amount of information they collect on you and the privacy concerns alone I would have figured would make your hair stand on end. You are NEVER alone in a tesla. never.

he may be a loon but he's a go-getter and a thinker and while you may not like him, he's done pretty well and if you can't appreciate what he's brought the world of cars then I can't help you. We all have opinions.

Quite the contrary, I happen to love Elon and most of the things he does. I don't like it when he has little rich boy fits about making his workers safe or paying them a fair wage.

The Tesla model is a struggle for me. The Cars thus far have been innovative in two very significant ways:

1) they made EV tech a luxury product. This is a significant thing considering it has always been approached from the thrift/green end of the spectrum. Prior to tesla - nobody would have ever seen an electric car as a high end luxury good. They are probably the only car successfully sold chiefly on a political position (independence from oil and the countries that control oil) as well which to me is fascinating.

2) Car and Smart technology integration. Tesla does this extremely well and frankly are probably the biggest drivers of improvement in the industry. They have shown the benefits and so far also proven the litigation environment isn't as scary as the larger automakers

What they have been spectacular failures at and have yet to do are:

1) prove the EV luxury car model is profitable. Tesla doesn't lose money per car sold - the cars themselves turn a profit, but somehow the company is burning cash at a rate greater than several dumpster fires on top of a tire fire. I can't tell if it is their inexperience with the auto business or some kind of weird finance structuring they have going on, but the fact that they can't seem to make luxury electric cars keep the lights on by themselves is troubling.

2) Changing the auto industry sales and ownership experience model. Elon is a futurist, and in being so sometimes he picks fights he can't win. Sometimes he picks fights he shouldn't. Buying cars def sucks and the whole industry needs an overhaul, but they tired they direct sales model decades ago and it was such a clusterfuck it led to the crazy dealer protection laws almost all the states have today. I like that he tried, I am just not convinced that his current way of doing things is the correct course. Also it hasn't proved all that popular. He's certainly used the internet better than any other mfg and I'll gladly call him an industry innovator in that realm, but at the end of the day it's still a car and people don't cross shop a tesla - they either want one or they don't.

IMO Tesla shows me people who aren't afraid to take risks, who aren't afraid to be different, who enjoy things with a passion, including breaking away from the pack and who yes, perhaps can afford to do so, which is also a good thing

So...how did the kool aid taste? Honestly, some of the tesla owners I met are like that. Some just bought them because it was the hot trend, and a few I know bought them as political statements. What you wrote there? that's PR nonsense.

The above is certainly an option I'm considering. The CR-Z may be something worth looking at if the price is right and miles not high, although reliability is something I'd have to look at since I've zero knowledge of them outside they are not my kind of car. That said, I'd rather have him and me in a decent Accord vs the CR-Z. I'm pressing my neighbor to sell hers which is a 2008 EX-L Coupe loaded with everything and only 68k on the clock. She pulled back once I came over with my checkbook. She may still cave though.

supposedly the reliability on them is very high. Their battery mileage is rated at 150,000 miles so that's huge (chevy rates the volt at 100K miles - both cars have shown an actual mileage that exceeds 300K with no charge loss). They still use a lead acid battery for the conventional non powertrain stuff and the gas engine which can be a problem if it sits.

Accords are nice too. I guess. I think I fell asleep there for a second writing that sentence.

The only thing I think Tesla does right is smart tech to car integration. But they own their system where as ford/chevy/toyota/honda license it from others. Everyone will catch up at some point.

Agree. It's definitely more thought out.

Considering how politically conservative you are this is uncharacteristic. The amount of information they collect on you and the privacy concerns alone I would have figured would make your hair stand on end. You are NEVER alone in a tesla. never.

Meh...it's not the same as the fools in Congress talking about gun registration. To that they can fuck off. In terms of what Google and Tesla collect, I really don't care.

Quite the contrary, I happen to love Elon and most of the things he does. I don't like it when he has little rich boy fits about making his workers safe or paying them a fair wage.

can't speak to the details about wages or Tesla as I've not followed it. Wages and the talk of fair wages, etc. is something for a different thread.

The Tesla model is a struggle for me. The Cars thus far have been innovative in two very significant ways:

1) they made EV tech a luxury product. This is a significant thing considering it has always been approached from the thrift/green end of the spectrum. Prior to tesla - nobody would have ever seen an electric car as a high end luxury good. They are probably the only car successfully sold chiefly on a political position (independence from oil and the countries that control oil) as well which to me is fascinating.

2) Car and Smart technology integration. Tesla does this extremely well and frankly are probably the biggest drivers of improvement in the industry. They have shown the benefits and so far also proven the litigation environment isn't as scary as the larger automakers

Agree on those two points.

What they have been spectacular failures at and have yet to do are:

1) prove the EV luxury car model is profitable. Tesla doesn't lose money per car sold - the cars themselves turn a profit, but somehow the company is burning cash at a rate greater than several dumpster fires on top of a tire fire. I can't tell if it is their inexperience with the auto business or some kind of weird finance structuring they have going on, but the fact that they can't seem to make luxury electric cars keep the lights on by themselves is troubling.

Agree.

2) Changing the auto industry sales and ownership experience model. Elon is a futurist, and in being so sometimes he picks fights he can't win. Sometimes he picks fights he shouldn't. Buying cars def sucks and the whole industry needs an overhaul, but they tired they direct sales model decades ago and it was such a clusterfuck it led to the crazy dealer protection laws almost all the states have today. I like that he tried, I am just not convinced that his current way of doing things is the correct course. Also it hasn't proved all that popular. He's certainly used the internet better than any other mfg and I'll gladly call him an industry innovator in that realm, but at the end of the day it's still a car and people don't cross shop a tesla - they either want one or they don't.

Agree a second time. IMO they need to look at it simliar to a phone and do some affordable leases that allow me to enjoy the tech and upgrade/mitigate my risk while at the same time locking me in for another new car. Their leases just don't work out mathematically for a car that seems to hold value rather well on the used market. On the used market for me the challenge is also that there's no alternative way to get into them that make sense thus why I'm not in one today. $80-90k for a used P85D or better is a bit more than I can justify when for that same coin or even far less I can find something to check a lot of my boxes. Honestly, an S6 or S7 with a simple software flash and I'm good.

So...how did the kool aid taste? Honestly, some of the tesla owners I met are like that. Some just bought them because it was the hot trend, and a few I know bought them as political statements. What you wrote there? that's PR nonsense.

No Kool-aid here boss. That's my personality. I'm not afraid of hot trends and riding waves while they are present. Makes for a lot more fun life. What you call PR Nonesense is a market of people waiting to be tapped. It's no different than all those Hellcat and soon to be trackhawk owners or even those buying other $100k cars. You might not agree but then not everyone can have that much fun.

Accords are nice too. I guess. I think I fell asleep there for a second writing that sentence.

No less boring than a Volt or CR-Z though but more practical and can at least be made to look nice.

That Volt posted is basically identical to the one I had, beside the red exterior. The Volt was a good commuter, had decent torque, and handled decently well. It's a decent car to drive around and you can go anywhere with it (no range anxiety). I would buy another if I didn't have to lug the kids around, especially at current prices.

I've been eyeing Fiat 500e's as well, again strictly as a commuter.

Even with the above I would never consider a Leaf or a Prius. If you drive one I assume youre dead inside.

The Tesla is at a completely different level. The interior is shit. The seats are on par with what was in the Volt, or even in the old Solstice/Sky. The door panels are cheap and hard. The screen as an interface is cumbersome (I have a thing for redundant buttons for controls) and I've had seen it crash on occasion. Autopilot v1 is good. It's still the best on the market and I've driven almost everything, except the latest v2 update. The AWD powertrain is really good, even without having a performance model, and it handles pretty well with all the weight down low. The Tesla is more engaging as a driver than any of the above, and it actually has the interior space to be a family car. Is it worth the money? That's debatable, but I can see why some people would take the leap on a used one.

It sounds like the AWD Model 3 is at least a year away from starting production, plus all the people in line ahead of you. You'll be lucky to have that by 2019.

I have a hard time spending lots of money on a car these days, so aside from keeping my eyes on used Volt's and 500e's is been watching 2015+ 300's. With the sedan market in a tailspin and a lot of lease returns coming back you can get a low mileage 2015 300S for $20-25k. I'm sure it's not really what you're looking for, but it's a counterpoint to buying a new Accord.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

You'd be buying a higher mileage older Model S if it's only $38k. Not likely a long range or AWD one either. No comparison between the two.

So, your just strengthening my argument LOL

So for....45k, I could have a Nice Volt, a C6z, and Campaing a 160+ traps Colt all year at IFO, and have money for first round at the OG for SEMA.

Or I could have a Used Model S. :confused:

My FiL has an 85D and has a $1k deposit on a Model 3, due to come up for his turn to buy one around June/July 2018. Based on my recommendation, my BiL just bought a new 90D.

I've said multiple times how I love Tesla. I do want to get a used Model S. HOWEVER...I have to say that there are a few things that have popped up on my FiL's Mod S from a quality standpoint after 13k miles that gives me pause to wait and see how the Model 3's come out from a QC standpoint.

Before I get lambasted by Scott et al :)....I'm still a fan, but unless you want to drop $100k+ on a new-new, it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on the used market for Model S's.

Smh.....

So, your just strengthening my argument LOL

So for....45k, I could have a Nice Volt, a C6z, and Campaing a 160+ traps Colt all year at IFO, and have money for first round at the OG for SEMA.

Or I could have a Used Model S. :confused:

But none of the above accomplish what im after.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Beats a base Accord, a $70k used S, and waiting 3 years for a Model 3, IMO.

https://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=469082904&zip=48316&endYear=2018&pageLayout=list&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&startYear=2015&engineGroup=8CLDR&searchRadius=0&offset=15&mmt=%5BCHRY%5B300%5B300%7CS%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D

2017 300S, Destroyer Gray, HEMI V8, Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind Spot Detection, Lane Departure Warning, Panoramic Sunroof, NAV (new head unit for 2017 models), heated and vented seats, heated steering wheel, upgraded interior (it's white, but you're good at keeping things clean ;) )

I'll be the first to admit I'm all over the board when it comes to looking at what to replace the S4 with. It's a first-world problem situation for sure but hey, we live in a first-world country right?

Wife will be due for a new vehicle next year and she may want to go back to a car vs SUV and certainly we're done with the real need for minivans. I have had SUV's and don't mind them but will for sure miss the Audi and all that it offers. It's by-far the best daily driver out there IMO. It's awesome but I do have an itch for something new and different. I've ruled out the Tesla's mainly because the S-Series is just too dang pricey for what I'm looking for from it thus the value to me isn't there. The model 3 is a year away and honestly, the inside just plain turned me off like a light switch. They need to glam it up a lot IMO.

That said, I'm trading off some performance in exchange for a more commanding view/handling of the road and some creature features/posh effect. I have to switch it up vs another sedan or I'll feel I'm really shorting myself. At least IMO I would. Trying to keep it balanced cost-wise and this time given I don't absolutely love SUV's but like them, I'm probably going to do a short-term lease on this one.

I'll take the equity I have and put it towards her car. That gives me some flexibility in say the next 2 years to move back to something performance oriented. Although I may have her in an Golf R and that would be fun.

All said, this beast moves-out well for as big and heavy as it is. The 365hp/350tq Ecoboost is far lower in power than I'm used to but to move this sled to through a mid 14's quarter mile speaks a lot of it's galloping ability. Merging up hill onto the highway I moved into traffic with ease and looked down at 85+mph without even trying. I admit I'm impressed with the 3.5l version of it.

Haven't exactly found a lot out there that makes me do my happy dance but the Ford Explorer Platinum Edition seems to check a lot of boxes and I know I'd like it. Tri-Color Pearl White with two-tone Nirvana Leather with Ceramic(nearly white)/Black combo. I think it looks outstanding inside. Not quite German Quality but darn nice and loaded with every feature from massaging seats to a great sound system.

What say you on the Ford vs some others? I welcome any constructive opinions.

Preliminary Pics: They really don't do the interior the justice it deserves but you get the idea. Couple are simply stock images from the web.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/166554353/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/166554354/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/166554355/original.jpg

For $55k you could do the Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland EcoDiesel which is a twin turbo Diesel with more torque than the ecoboost Explorer and better MPGs. We drove to and from DC 1.5 tanks of gas, less than $100 to take a family of 4 to see some cool stuff. With a range of 600+ miles to a tank is awesome. Draw a radius of 600 miles on a map from Columbus, 1200 miles on 2 tanks. You’ve driven and rubbed ours...

Diesel is cheaper than premium fuel....

Edited by Benjamin

I'll be the first to admit I'm all over the board when it comes to looking at what to replace the S4 with. It's a first-world problem situation for sure but hey, we live in a first-world country right?

Wife will be due for a new vehicle next year and she may want to go back to a car vs SUV and certainly we're done with the real need for minivans. I have had SUV's and don't mind them but will for sure miss the Audi and all that it offers. It's by-far the best daily driver out there IMO. It's awesome but I do have an itch for something new and different. I've ruled out the Tesla's mainly because the S-Series is just too dang pricey for what I'm looking for from it thus the value to me isn't there. The model 3 is a year away and honestly, the inside just plain turned me off like a light switch. They need to glam it up a lot IMO.

That said, I'm trading off some performance in exchange for a more commanding view/handling of the road and some creature features/posh effect. I have to switch it up vs another sedan or I'll feel I'm really shorting myself. At least IMO I would. Trying to keep it balanced cost-wise and this time given I don't absolutely love SUV's but like them, I'm probably going to do a short-term lease on this one.

I'll take the equity I have and put it towards her car. That gives me some flexibility in say the next 2 years to move back to something performance oriented. Although I may have her in an Golf R and that would be fun.

All said, this beast moves-out well for as big and heavy as it is. The 365hp/350tq Ecoboost is far lower in power than I'm used to but to move this sled to through a mid 14's quarter mile speaks a lot of it's galloping ability. Merging up hill onto the highway I moved into traffic with ease and looked down at 85+mph without even trying. I admit I'm impressed with the 3.5l version of it.

Haven't exactly found a lot out there that makes me do my happy dance but the Ford Explorer Platinum Edition seems to check a lot of boxes and I know I'd like it. Tri-Color Pearl White with two-tone Nirvana Leather with Ceramic(nearly white)/Black combo. I think it looks outstanding inside. Not quite German Quality but darn nice and loaded with every feature from massaging seats to a great sound system.

What say you on the Ford vs some others? I welcome any constructive opinions.

Preliminary Pics: They really don't do the interior the justice it deserves but you get the idea. Couple are simply stock images from the web.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/166554353/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/166554354/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/166554355/original.jpg

I'm actually shocked this is what you ended up with, but you did previously have a Fusion and were talking about an Edge, so maybe I shouldn't be. You traded the S4 for this and kept the minivan? I thought you were looking for a sedan?

The 300S I linked to was practically the sedan version of this Ford (for $27.5k), even with a matching interior color scheme, but minus a massaging seat. Although the Hemi wouldn't have needed premium gas.

I had an Explorer as a rental and it was ok, but if I was looking for a 6 or 7 Passanger SUV I would get a Durango. Our infotainment is better, our driver assist/ACC is better, I like how it handles better, and I find the seats more comfortable. The Explorer isn't a bad choice, and I'm sure the Titanium is nicer than a V6 rental, but it wouldn't have been my choice.

For $55k you could do the Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland EcoDiesel which is a twin turbo Diesel with more torque than the ecoboost Explorer. You’ve driven and rubbed ours...

Diesel is cheaper than premium fuel....

Yeah, and now the Summit has a similar interior (white quilted leather). The Durango is a 7 seat Grand Cherokee.

I'm actually shocked this is what you ended up with, but you did previously have a Fusion and were talking about an Edge, so maybe I shouldn't be. You traded the S4 for this and kept the minivan? I thought you were looking for a sedan?

didn't do anything yet. Before CR era for me I had a Trailblazer and before that a GMC Yukon. I'm not a Ford "fan" but the Fusion Sport I had was darn nice for a what it was back then.

The 300S I linked to was practically the sedan version of this Ford (for $27.5k), even with a matching interior color scheme, but minus a massaging seat. Although the Hemi wouldn't have needed premium gas.
yeah but I wouldn't be happy with a 300. if i got a sedan it would have to be an upgrade from the S4 or I would feel I'm moving backwards.

I had an Explorer as a rental and it was ok, but if I was looking for a 6 or 7 Passanger SUV I would get a Durango.

The interior of this one is far different from the limited though. Especially the seats. This is the top of the line Explorer. Under this is the Sport or limited but again, they have the generic interior.

Our infotainment is better, our driver assist/ACC is better, I like how it handles better, and I find the seats more comfortable.
I would disagree. I just drove my Uncle's 2018 Jeep and UConnect was okay but Sync 3 is much faster and more intuitive. The other part of the Platinum is the other upgraded controls on the left/instrument cluster. It's unique to the Platinum.

Interesting, because the pictures of the Sync 3 on the Ford site look like they cribbed the interface from UConnect. Although I have not used the Sync 3 so I can't speak to how it actually functions. The 2018 UConnect is an all new head unit that responds faster, has a higher resolution screen, and has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. I think all Uconnect radios receive over the air updates now too.

Also, the UConnect allows you to rearrange/customize the bottom buttons anyway you want, including putting your apps down there.

Our phone app sucks though.