New Car Itch

TTQ B4U

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my opinion based on what your looking for "luxory/comfort" wise, I'd stay away from the Jeep GC. While it's a very capable vehicle, unless it's made leaps and bounds in the last two years, we hated the comfort factor of our GC limited. Just about every similarly optioned SUV I've driven has been better.

While it's not apples to apples, our GL450 isn't even in the same ballpark, there is no comparison to the comfort and power.

I Know you're not looking for a tank, but I'd guess that the 350 comes with a pretty nice package as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Just my opinion based on what your looking for "luxory/comfort" wise, I'd stay away from the Jeep GC. While it's a very capable vehicle, unless it's made leaps and bounds in the last two years, we hated the comfort factor of our GC limited. Just about every similarly optioned SUV I've driven has been better.

While it's not apples to apples, our GL450 isn't even in the same ballpark, there is no comparison to the comfort and power.

I Know you're not looking for a tank, but I'd guess that the 350 comes with a pretty nice package as well.

The Jeep GC, Dodge Durango, and Mercedes GL ride on the same platform. The GL rides on a slightly longer wheelbase (~1-2") than the Durango, but the rest of the dimensions are nearly identical, except for curb weight where the GL beats the Durango. That said, the 5.7L Hemi has almost identical HP to the GL450, and it has quite a bit more torque so I'm a bit surprised you feel it's down on power (especially when it was paired with the 8 speed MY14 and later). I also think the Durango rides better than the GC, due to the longer wheelbase.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

The Jeep GC, Dodge Durango, and Mercedes GL ride on the same platform. The GL rides on a slightly longer wheelbase (~1-2") than the Durango, but the rest of the dimensions are nearly identical, except for curb weight where the GL beats the Durango. That said, the 5.7L Hemi has almost identical HP to the GL450, and it has quite a bit more torque so I'm a bit surprised you feel it's down on power (especially when it was paired with the 8 speed MY14 and later). I also think the Durango rides better than the GC, due to the longer wheelbase.

I've not driven the Durango, so I can't speak to it's quality, may be very nice. Our Jeep had the 6 with the 8 speed tranny, so I'm not really comparing that directly (apples to apples). The ride quality, even if on a similar platform, wasn't anywhere close. The suspension on the Jeep was rough and felt terrible in anything twisty. The GL, even with the extra weight, rides like a dream and feels much more responsive with the air ride.

The Hemi is probably a great motor, with plenty of power, I like it in the trucks. The twin turbo V8 in the GL lacks nothing for me, and it's fun to hear the turbos, lol. It can also be 500hp with only a tune installed at the dealership, though pricey.

The MB upgrades definitely come with MB maintenance costs, but we've had good luck with their warranty service, and a 2year extension for certified used was added.

I've not driven the Durango, so I can't speak to it's quality, may be very nice. Our Jeep had the 6 with the 8 speed tranny, so I'm not really comparing that directly (apples to apples). The ride quality, even if on a similar platform, wasn't anywhere close. The suspension on the Jeep was rough and felt terrible in anything twisty. The GL, even with the extra weight, rides like a dream and feels much more responsive with the air ride.

The Hemi is probably a great motor, with plenty of power, I like it in the trucks. The twin turbo V8 in the GL lacks nothing for me, and it's fun to hear the turbos, lol. It can also be 500hp with only a tune installed at the dealership, though pricey.

The MB upgrades definitely come with MB maintenance costs, but we've had good luck with their warranty service, and a 2year extension for certified used was added.

Yeah, and I'm not trying to say the GL is a bad car, I just mean that by the numbers they aren't that different. The Mercedes does weigh more and costs more and that certainly comes from added content. The GC can have air suspension or steel suspension, depending on the package you had. The air suspension is from the same supplier as MB, but the dampers are certainly tuned differently.

Grand Cherokee is a great truck, IMO. Specifically the Summit trim, drove one a few weeks ago, an ecodiesel. If we were looking at this price range, it'd be tough to beat.

With that said, if the Durango had the ecodiesel option we'd have purchased one. It seemed like a nicer platform (I know its basically the same). As stated, seats were more comfortable, looks better in RT trim, and the ride was better. I think the Hemi RT is a great Tahoe/Expedition alternative.

I think the explorers are my least favorite, too feminine looking.

Tim, look into a Q7.

Shoot if we are talking 50k, srt8 grand Cherokee and be done with it, they are a blast to drive, have all the bells and whistles, and plants you in your seat harder than any of the cars being discussed.

Problem is they aren't near $50k, especially with any of their packages of goodies added to them. Price wise they are IMO way way overpriced.

Tim, look into a Q7.

Trey is going to look at the 2018 SQ5 but he was pretty firm the other day that no Audi's lease well. It was that way when I looked for my S4 thus why I ended up buying one with less than 8k on the ODO. Sounds crazy that they don't lease well but I'm sure VW is still hurting from their diesel McSteak or something. Who knows.

In the end, once pricing goes above the $55k mark, regardless of make, lease deals and costs go through the roof. Many just aren't worth it IMO. So far the Explorer is the only one thus far to lease out so well.

Edited by TTQ B4U

I also say a SRT GC. I have the pleasure of driving my parents from time to time and man that thing is a BLAST to drive. MPG is not so great, but after driving it quite a bit I would own one in a second.

again, pricing seems too high but then stranger things have happened. I'm going to look at them just to see.

No dice the other day huh?

Good luck with the search, keep me posted on the wheel and mat situation.

On the new car yes, on my trade we were close but not cigar. They called for a buy-figure from another dealer as they weren't going to keep my car on their used lot. When they do that both dealers tried and get a piece of a good-deal on my trade and I'm not going to stand for that. I grew up in the car business and know how that shit goes down. If they are going to step on my trade twice then goodbye. I don't need to do anything and if they want to roll a car they can do better.

I'm going to look at other models at dealers I know will keep my car on their lot vs wholesaling it to someone else. I'm flexible and all over the place because I can be and this next ride isn't going to be a long term car for me either. Just going to keep it 2yrs or so until I pay off my wife's new car.

That's the part the first guy lost out on as this could have been a two car sale. I was going to do the Explorer Platinum for me and this great looking Edge Sport for the wife. His loss, not mine. I just did the brakes on her van so we're going to keep it through winter now.

• 2 weeks later...
For reference, we sold a 2016 model S 60 with 15,000 miles on it for 55k yesterday.

where do you work again?

My update as of today:

So far it's been a fun process shopping but I've yet to find anything outstanding that checks as many boxes as my current ride. The only two checkboxe mine lacks is some of the newest lane keeping creature feature/safety things.

If I were to pull the trigger today, I would go SUV and it would be a short term lease on an MDX Hybrid Sport. It's the best handling, riding and nicest inside and out IMO for the money. FULLY loaded they are dealing like crazy today and it's a nice ride. I'd then use the equity in mine to buy my wife a new car vs CUV/SUV. We're likely just going to keep the van and park it at my neighbors house as he's fine with that. Too nice of a vehicle and in excellent shape to part with it for what it seemingly is worth. Inside is like brand new.

May go later today to drive an AWD 550i MSport as they seem pretty darn nice and I hear a simply tune can really put them into a solid performance zone that would not cause me to miss what I have now :)

I am still hopefully a Tesla deal can be had but again, I have to have 300 mile range and AWD and I won't live with an x-box looking steering wheel.

where do you work again?

My update as of today:

So far it's been a fun process shopping but I've yet to find anything outstanding that checks as many boxes as my current ride. The only two checkboxe mine lacks is some of the newest lane keeping creature feature/safety things.

If I were to pull the trigger today, I would go SUV and it would be a short term lease on an MDX Hybrid Sport. It's the best handling, riding and nicest inside and out IMO for the money. FULLY loaded they are dealing like crazy today and it's a nice ride. I'd then use the equity in mine to buy my wife a new car vs CUV/SUV. We're likely just going to keep the van and park it at my neighbors house as he's fine with that. Too nice of a vehicle and in excellent shape to part with it for what it seemingly is worth. Inside is like brand new.

May go later today to drive an AWD 550i MSport as they seem pretty darn nice and I hear a simply tune can really put them into a solid performance zone that would not cause me to miss what I have now :)

I am still hopefully a Tesla deal can be had but again, I have to have 300 mile range and AWD and I won't live with an x-box looking steering wheel.

If it's new-fangled lane keeping/ACC systems that you're missing, you should know that the adoption and capability of these systems is changing rapidly. Between now and 2020MY there will be a VAST difference in what is available and how good it is. I'm not sure on how often you plan on buying a new car, but know that what ever you buy right now it will likely be obsolete in 2 years.

The MDX is a nice ride, I can't argue with you there. I'm not a fan of the dual screen infotainment set up they had, but everyone likes different things in this category.

I have a friend that hacked his cars LDW/LKA system so the car drives itself on the highway (95+% of the time). If you're tech savvy anything is possible...lol

To follow up with my last post's statement about adoption of lane keeping systems taking off...

Ford just announced the new Lincoln Nautilus (aka a refreshed and renamed MKX) which will launch Ford's first full-speed Lane Centering system coupled to ACC. Remember that this is a dressed up Escape and you'll get an idea how this may proliferate across their lineup.

So you want out of your S4 for those missing features? Did you hit your head :). Seriously, no use in going to look at other sedans in a similar price range. I think what you have now is about as nice as they get.

I know....it's me being silly. Those features are a bonus/trade-off in some cases. I looked at two more Tesla's today. P90D and a P85D one at a dealer the other a private sale. They are so far the only cars that will check more boxes than mine but the costs are nearly double what I have in mine. Prices seem to be dropping though so they are looking a bit better.

The main reason to sell mine is I have lot of equity in it doing me no good sitting in my garage and I can sell it and buy a car for my wife who is due for one. I'd lease something for 2-3yrs and then once hers is paid off I'd likely get another toy or perhaps another daily.

All in all though, you're right about the value I have in my garage today. Near perfect for far less than anything I've found thus far.

Tim,

Be careful on the 550 msport, their has been some engine issues. I would have got one I but went to the 535 due to this. Regardless, if you buy, cpo for the warranty and service.

Edited by RS69