New car recommendations

PRD2BDF

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2018 Passat

Brand new for $22-28k, great features, 6yr/72k warranty, 600-Miles+ on a tank, etc. if you’re driving that much a week, you’ll save in gas alone. I get 44mpg straight HWY. plus, even the cheapest one has adaptive cruise control which would prevent another accident like you had... ;)

http://www.vw.com/models/passat/section/colors/

If you look at a RWD S, the wheels are dished in and looks attractive, the AWD S has the same size wheel but there is no dish, just a flat face.

Buying a car based on the looks of it's wheels has got to be one of the dumbest reasons I have ever heard of.

:wtf:

KillJoy

2018 Passat

Brand new for $22-28k, great features, 6yr/72k warranty, 600-Miles+ on a tank, etc. if you’re driving that much a week, you’ll save in gas alone. I get 44mpg straight HWY. plus, even the cheapest one has adaptive cruise control which would prevent another accident like you had... ;)

I'll look into it.

Besides, it wasn't my fault. The trooper cited the person who hit me from back which caused me to hit the car in front. ;)

if you’re driving that much a week, you’ll save in gas alone.

I once financed a Passat using that very logic. One of the worst vehicle purchase decisions I've ever made. The other was a Jetta. :lol: I have no clue on new VW's though. They may be...better?

I hafta a disability, give me a break. :gabe:

:lol:

To be fair Steve, you can hear. That means his sense of vision is more keen than yours. :gabe:

I'll look into it.

Besides, it wasn't my fault. The trooper cited the person who hit me from back which caused me to hit the car in front. ;)

At least it's not your fault or a ding on your insurance...

I once financed a Passat using that very logic. One of the worst vehicle purchase decisions I've ever made. The other was a Jetta. :lol: I have no clue on new VW's though. They may be...better?

:lol:

To be fair Steve, you can hear. That means his sense of vision is more keen than yours. :gabe:

Really, what year? The old old ones had a few issues but not the later ones. You can't really go wrong with the 1.8/2.0T's. Anything B7/NMS has been a great car. We loved our 2014 TDi SEL and I'm loving my 2018 R-Line for a DD.

Really, what year? The old old ones had a few issues but not the later ones. You can't really go wrong with the 1.8/2.0T's. Anything B7/NMS has been a great car. We loved our 2014 TDi SEL and I'm loving my 2018 R-Line for a DD.

2001 Passat and 2002 Jetta. Both were 1.8t's and both seemed to run properly and have everything else work properly about 50% of the time we owned them. It was enough to deter us both from VW's forever...and her dad is a HUGE VW guy. Has owned a multitude of them over the course of his life. Both vintage and newer....although after his "new beetle" (when they first came back) was totaled he went out and bought a Chevy and even he hasn't got another new VW.

Not saying they're bad. Not saying they're shit. Just saying I personally have had enough money come out of my pocket just for upkeep/repairs that I would rather not own another. YMMV.

That’s totaled?

I think it will be. The left taillight, if you can find a replacement, is about 900-1,200. The headlights are about 400 each used. Front bumper is a grand or so. Back bumper is a grand. Then the core support is destroyed. So figure about 2000 there. The hood is about 800 The airbag deployed and the seatbelt tensioner is about probably 1200 (based on searches) then the paint and body work probably another 2-3 grand.

So my rough unscientific estimates using the low end is 9,700. My car is worth 5 grand according to kbb

2018 Passat

I was going to suggest the 2018 R-Line Passat. They switched to the 2.0t engine and comes with a 6 year 72k mile warranty.

Still some '17 VW models around that can be had with a huge discount

I have no clue on new VW's though. They may be...better?

Definitely better

I think it will be. The left taillight, if you can find a replacement, is about 900-1,200. The headlights are about 400 each used. Front bumper is a grand or so. Back bumper is a grand. Then the core support is destroyed. So figure about 2000 there. The hood is about 800 The airbag deployed and the seatbelt tensioner is about probably 1200 (based on searches) then the paint and body work probably another 2-3 grand.

So my rough unscientific estimates using the low end is 9,700. My car is worth 5 grand according to kbb

I didn't see the airbag. It's tough to see. That's usually the kiss of death though.

Why not get another one of these since they're probably so damn cheap?

I've had my '13 300c rwd for over 2 years now and still love it, but I will say it sucks in slick conditions, even with decent all seasons. Sounds good though with the mufflers deleted, not much visually different than a brand new one so it still looks fresh, and it's comfy. The 15-up have the 8 speed trans. I've never driven one to compare to my 5 speed, but it's supposed to be a big improvement.

Newer Hyundai Sonata/KIA Optimas are YUUUGE on the inside, and are great long-distance/highway cruisers. I grew up with my parents driving Honda's through the '80s-'00s and now they're on their second Sonata and love them. I drove their 2012 from Cleveland to Long Island, NY and it returned an easy 34mpg at 70-75+ cruising. Super comfortable. The '15 they have is even better on the interior.

The styling of the Optima - especially newer with LED's - is a set of lowering springs and wheels/tires away from being a really good-looking, reliable, comfortable-yet-sporty DD.

H_R_Lowering_Springs_b9c75565-9139-4666-ba90-d5268aa817e0.jpg?v=1506042548

With the ZF 8-speed/Pentastar combo, you can't go wrong with a Charger/300C either...except I still unfortunately have really bad juju towards FCA products.

IMO- nothing "Fast" is going to get a real world 25+MPH

EcoBoost seem to have a ton of issues coming up now that they have been around for a few years. Not sure I'd trust them.

I have not once complaint for my 535ix. AWD. 400+whp.

For a real DD, the Newer accords are Nice and quick with a V6

Newer Q50 RedSport should be on the list. Super impressed by them on Just a tune and the guys have been around for awhile, and proven reliable.

300 is decent for the price, but itd have to be a V8

So far, I can confirm that:

I do not like the Hondas, they're nice yes but I do not want to drive one.

The Passat doesn't stir something for me.

The GTI, while an undeniable barnstormer, is too small and not capable enough for my needs.

The Flex Ecoboost is off the list.

The Kia/Hyundai twins do not interest me visually.

So far what is really stirring something into me based on initial appearances and features are:

The Dodge Durango Pentastar/8A

Chrysler 300S AWD Pentastar/8A

Jeep Grand Cherokee Pentastar/8A

What about a 12+ Wrangler with the Pentastar? Summer fun, winter capable, same drivetrain as your short list, and arguably the best resale value. You may be able to get some deals on leftover 17s also with the new redesign hitting lots now.