New car recommendations

PRD2BDF

What about a 12+ Wrangler with the Pentastar? Summer fun, winter capable, same drivetrain as your short list, and arguably the best resale value. You may be able to get some deals on leftover 17s also with the new redesign hitting lots now.

I don't know if that would be tolerable for my 600 mile a week/30-35,000 mile a year commute...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really can't beat the Pentastar/8A combo and the 300 gets good mileage.

The AWD and RWD get similar wheel designs, but as you notes the offset is different, and the AWD is an inch smaller diameter.

Keep in mind that the S model covers a very wide range of option packages and base price. When searching used you should have an idea of what options you're really looking for.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Seriously.....Buick Lacrosse!

2017-buick-lacrosse-official-photos-and-info-news-car-and-driver-photo-663720-s-original.jpg

http://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/2017-Buick-LaCrosse-Exterior-First-Drive-Portland-Oregon-002-720x300.jpg

http://www.buick.com/content/buick/north-america/usa/nscwebsite/en/index/models/view-all-vehicles/2017-vehicles/2017-lacrosse/gallery/interior/jcr:content/mm_gal_c2/thumbnailArea/mm_gal_item_c2_2.img_resize.img_stage._3.jpg

310 hp, good gas mileage, big and roomy, magnetic ride control, etc.

The Dodge Durango Pentastar/8A

Chrysler 300S AWD Pentastar/8A

Jeep Grand Cherokee Pentastar/8A

Why the Durango? I don’t remember you saying you had kids and it’s a BIG vehicle. Cherokee might be the better option. Have you thought about their diesel option? Could be better for your long commute.

A durango is a good choice... if you need to haul 4 people and a weekend of gear and tow the boat/camper over logging roads regularly.

Using that to commute on the highway is like using a screwdriver as a hammer

sounds like you need a tdi vw. wagon or sedan, they have tons of room.

EcoBoost seem to have a ton of issues coming up now that they have been around for a few years. Not sure I'd trust them.

There are a couple minor flaws that are easily remedied, just like every other car ever made. The only real issues with them stem from dumb owners not taking care of their shit.

I honestly can't understand how you ended up with 2 (soccer mom mall crawler) SUVs on the list with the criteria you posted.

+1. This man drove that poor 9-5 in an AutoX event. I would think something that maybe hauled a small utility trailer when needed but still could curl around a track would be more appropriate from a utility standpoint.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this but I'm planning on getting a camper and go camping. That's one of the reasons why it made the list.

I would still try to autocross them though.

I'm at a conflict because I now have the chance to get something I've wanted, a nice SUV but I am also conflicted because I know I need to be slightly sensible and financial wise since my commute is so long and frequent that driving a SUV isn't the wisest.

I really like the Volvos and the Buick Lacrosse but I don't want to get a base model with minimal options that's right at the limit of my budget. I want gadgets.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this but I'm planning on getting a camper and go camping. That's one of the reasons why it made the list.

I'm at a conflict because I now have the chance to get something I've wanted, a nice SUV but I am also conflicted because I know I need to be slightly sensible and financial wise since my commute is so long and frequent that driving a SUV isn't the wisest.

I really like the Volvos and the Buick Lacrosse but I don't want to get a base model with minimal options that's right at the limit of my budget. I want gadgets.

Why not find a higher end car that's 1-2 years old with 20-30k miles? New cars depreciate so fast that if you can find a well maintained trade-in, you can get a car that is fully loaded for the same price (or cheaper) as a base model of the new one.

Can you find a decently-sorted 9-5 Wagon? Small hitch could tow a decent camper/teardrop/popup.

1) I don't want you to lose your "Resident Saab Fanboy" label :lol:

2) I think a wagon would be much better than an SUV - efficiency, sportiness, space

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/705449459/overview/

Duragno's are really nice, IMO, and so are Grand Cherokee's. They only have a towing capacity of 6200lbs for the V6, so depending of the camper you plan on buying you may need something more. Go for one newer than 2014 for the 8 speed and 8.4" Uconnect, or newer than 2017 if you want updated driver assistance systems. They got Apple CarPlay and Android Auto in 2018.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Yeah, pop-ups or tear drops don't weigh that much. If you want an actual hard side/top, you'll probably 'need' an SUV.

I've looked into small/light trailers in the past, and found some interesting ones from going through this list. http://smalltrailerenthusiast.com/manufacturers-2/

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/best-cars-for-towing

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-13-best-cars-for-towing-for-2013.html

Just to give you some ideas,if you do want to tow, but also want a sedan/wagon. I'm sure those list aren't exhaustive.

The Volvo S60 seems pretty interesting, it looks like it can tow 3300~3500lbs in recent years.

You can still find brand new '17s for $25k with nice options (definitely go for the mag suspension).....

https://www.garberbuick.com/inventory/new-2017-buick-lacrosse-essence-fwd-sedan-1g4zp5ss8hu161565

That dealer has several to choose from

2001 Passat and 2002 Jetta. Both were 1.8t's and both seemed to run properly and have everything else work properly about 50% of the time we owned them. It was enough to deter us both from VW's forever...and her dad is a HUGE VW guy. Has owned a multitude of them over the course of his life. Both vintage and newer....although after his "new beetle" (when they first came back) was totaled he went out and bought a Chevy and even he hasn't got another new VW.

Not saying they're bad. Not saying they're shit. Just saying I personally have had enough money come out of my pocket just for upkeep/repairs that I would rather not own another. YMMV.

I can understand why you feel that way but a lot of things have changed in the last 15-20+ years in the automobile world..lol.

Based on what other vehicles were produced around that time frame, I'd suggest you give a few other brands a chance. If that were the case, I'd never have given GM a chance yet here I am with my wife loving her 2016 GMC Yukon and I'm not a GM guy AT ALL.

I was going to suggest the 2018 R-Line Passat. They switched to the 2.0t engine and comes with a 6 year 72k mile warranty.

Still some '17 VW models around that can be had with a huge discount

Definitely better

+1

AGREED 100%!

vw-passat-r-line-terry-box.jpg

So far, I can confirm that:

I do not like the Hondas, they're nice yes but I do not want to drive one.

The Passat doesn't stir something for me.

The GTI, while an undeniable barnstormer, is too small and not capable enough for my needs.

The Flex Ecoboost is off the list.

The Kia/Hyundai twins do not interest me visually.

So far what is really stirring something into me based on initial appearances and features are:

The Dodge Durango Pentastar/8A

Chrysler 300S AWD Pentastar/8A

Jeep Grand Cherokee Pentastar/8A

I can understand that but for as much as you drive you should really consider giving them a second look. The miles and MPG alone would be more than worth it for you. It's nice driving 600+ miles a week on one tank of fuel. Plus, they have almost all the tech you'd want for a DD and at a pretty cheap price if you want something new and a great warranty.

If you really want something that can do all that and tow a trailer then I'd suggest getting a Grand Cherokee diesel. High-20/Low-30's HWY and it would cover a lot of your other needs if you don't want a car. However, nothing you look at that's going to be a great daily cruiser with lots of highway miles is going to be racer fun and efficient. Unless you want to pony up the cost of a Tesla.. :)

You can still find brand new '17s for $25k with nice options (definitely go for the mag suspension).....

https://www.garberbuick.com/inventory/new-2017-buick-lacrosse-essence-fwd-sedan-1g4zp5ss8hu161565

That dealer has several to choose from

Holy shit...that’s a lotta car for $24k brand new! Does it have the magneto suspension?

If the LaCrosse is on the same chassis as the new Impala, that’s a great thing. One of the most comfortable cars I’ve driven recently.