What would CR do? To hater pipe or not

coltboostin

**Colt Content**

So my previous turbo set up sold-and I have a blank slate now to work with. I'm going back to the roots of V1, and putting a big o'l GT42 back on the car.

With work, kids, and the Vr4 the car got driven pretty minimally on the street last year. I do plan on a few more local shows and "events" than last year-but we can call it what it is- at this point in my life this thing is a race car.

SO-Im not to concerned about making a full exhaust- especially not in 4 inch! Also with my goals moving towards land speed stuff, the car may get a partial or full belly pan at some point soon, so a lack of stuff under the car is a plus.

Options- side exit (bumper) on the drivers side (turbo orientation prevents pass side exit).

Pros-a little less noticeable to the fuzz.

Quieter than open DP

Cons-Fumes??

Or- up and out the hood- center-pointing towards the pass side.

Pros-Quieter than open DP

Less chance of fumes in the car???

Cons-Cant ask any harder to get pulled over

I'd prefer to have the least amount of fums int he car is I do street driving, especially cruising at highways speeds. Love to hear what CR would do here?

I had a turbo Mustang a couple years ago with a drivers side bumper exit, and the only time I ever noticed fumes was if I was stuck at a red light for a while or something. I suppose that could be dependent on the tune of the vehicle though. I'd go with the bumper exit myself.

Well since you mentioned children in your life, and since you have the horsepower game in check, may I recommend applying some effort in safety. You always get a warning in life, and it appears that you may have received yours a few years ago. With children, the areodynamics of a Colt, and land speed records in the same paragraph,a life insurance policy may not be a bad idea either

Definitely a bumper exit. With your location, as you mentioned a hood exit would definitely attract too much attention. Not to mention, without a stack, it would have all the exhaust coming across the windshield or around the side of the car which would put more fumes in the car I would imagine. With a bumper exit you could set it as a flush mount, or with a turn down to direct the exhaust to the ground.

Probably bumper exit. IMO hood exit just looks lazy.

Out of curiosity, what about oval exhaust under the car to deal with space so you can still easily do a belly pan?

X2

That's what I did on my car. Right after the collectors off the headers, it's a completely flat exhaust. White trash Nascar side exit exhaust. Gives plenty of clearance, and they make mufflers for that style exhaust system.

Well since you mentioned children in your life, and since you have the horsepower game in check, may I recommend applying some effort in safety. You always get a warning in life, and it appears that you may have received yours a few years ago. With children, the areodynamics of a Colt, and land speed records in the same paragraph,a life insurance policy may not be a bad idea either

Ha! Yes a simple cage will be in the car once its running and sorted. I feel you there, I'm almost out of my 9 lives!

Probably bumper exit. IMO hood exit just looks lazy.

Out of curiosity, what about oval exhaust under the car to deal with space so you can still easily do a belly pan?

I feel you on the hood exit.

As for oval tube, its REALLY expensive and still mathematically more restrictive than the same circle pipe. To put the budget in perspective, the 4inch bend from summit is literally the first new thing I purchased for the car besides fuel and oil LOL

X2

That's what I did on my car. Right after the collectors off the headers, it's a completely flat exhaust. White trash Nascar side exit exhaust. Gives plenty of clearance, and they make mufflers for that style exhaust system.

I had side exits in the pas and they are LOUD. Louder than side exits it seems. Not sure how that is possible....but thats been my experience.

I had a turbo Mustang a couple years ago with a drivers side bumper exit, and the only time I ever noticed fumes was if I was stuck at a red light for a while or something..

Oddly enough, your not the first person to say this. I would have expected more fumes in the car.

Vibrant sells Oval tubing and round to oval transitions. Is that is what you are talking about?

Its a bagillion dollars.

Could you oversize the pipe and flatten it to fit? Truck pipes, pie-cut reduction from the turbo, flatten 5" pipe to outlet...

Thats wayyy to much work than I have time for. I still have to

Fab new tube front end.

Fab new turbo system hot and cold sides

Create/pumb/wire launch control

Install/pumb hand brake

Service all brakes and ball joints

Fabricate full cage

Fab front bumper to work with larger IC

Find solutions for batterey mounting and some sketch wiring.

All by April. All working maybe 1-2 nights a week. Maybe

Just run the exhaust over the car to the back (kinda like an exo-skeleton), problem solved lol. Seriously though, why not do like Clay said and just use some turn downs to point it down/towards the rear of the car?

If I try to get a 4inch pipe past the oil pan, I will not be able to put a flat front splitter on the car.

an Open DP gets a ton of fumes in the car, and is loud from the sound bouncing off the ground. Almost amplifies it. Odd as it sounds a bumper exit is quieter