95 Octane coming to a pump near you

o0n8

Auto makers are pushing for a global standard of 95 octane.

https://jalopnik.com/automakers-want-95-octane-gas-to-completely-take-over-1825350040

Dan Nicholson, General Motors’ vice president of global propulsion systems, said making 95 octane the new regular aligns the U.S. with Europe and is one of the most affordable ways to boost fuel economy and lower greenhouse gas emissions....a 3 percent fuel economy improvement could be attained for less than a 3 percent increase in the cost of fuel.

I found this interesting. Would play right into the hands of Mazda's high compression sparkplug-less engine they've been creating.

To make gas cheaper could they/ would they add more ethanol? E85 is 100 I believe but also returns less MPG's. It's been a long time since chemistry, I don't even know if it is possible.

Does anywhere in Columbus even sell 94 anymore? Way back in the day when I had my first DSM, I remember my friends and I had to go all the way to Sunoco on Morse and Karl to find 94. I don't recall anyone else ever even carrying that option.

Auto makers are pushing for a global standard of 95 octane.

https://jalopnik.com/automakers-want-95-octane-gas-to-completely-take-over-1825350040

Dan Nicholson, General Motors’ vice president of global propulsion systems, said making 95 octane the new regular aligns the U.S. with Europe and is one of the most affordable ways to boost fuel economy and lower greenhouse gas emissions....a 3 percent fuel economy improvement could be attained for less than a 3 percent increase in the cost of fuel.

I found this interesting. Would play right into the hands of Mazda's high compression sparkplug-less engine they've been creating.

To make gas cheaper could they/ would they add more ethanol? E85 is 100 I believe but also returns less MPG's. It's been a long time since chemistry, I don't even know if it is possible.

Ethanol doesn't have the same energy content as gasoline, hence why you have to run a higher volume of it compared to gas. Running more ethanol to get there would probably be somewhere around E50-E60, and would cause current cars to run lean without retuning. I would imagine it would be similar to a race gasoline that has a similar amount of energy per mass, simply improving the mon/ron factor.

Does anywhere in Columbus even sell 94 anymore? Way back in the day when I had my first DSM, I remember my friends and I had to go all the way to Sunoco on Morse and Karl to find 94. I don't recall anyone else ever even carrying that option.

Nope, been gone for awhile. I remeber when they also had 86 at alot of their stations, that's long gone now.

I think it'd be great if they could make this happen. Most small 4 cylinders GM is using now are developed in Europe and have a lot of knock related issues damaging pistons, this would be good for alot of people.

Sunoco is the only place that have 94+ and they are few and far in-between. However, there is one south of Columbus just before you get to lancaster on old 33 that still runs the 100 octane race fuel, but that shit is like $7 a gallon.

I have been running across some BP stations using the new vpower Ultimate Unleaded with ACTIVE technology yada yada bs that is in a 95 octane option too. But still hard to come by.

no, I wish. But I haven't seen it in years.

I'd love to see octane ratings go up without the increase of ethanol content as I think that'd get away from the efficiency gains that the article is pointing toward.

Sunoco is the only place that have 94+ and they are few and far in-between. However, there is one south of Columbus just before you get to lancaster on old 33 that still runs the 100 octane race fuel, but that shit is like $7 a gallon.

Yep, the Dogwood Crossing station at the Coonpath Rd. intersection ;). On nice weather days there are some intriguing cars/bikes that fuel up here, not far from my house at all.

Yep, the Dogwood Crossing station at the Coonpath Rd. intersection ;). On nice weather days there are some intriguing cars/bikes that fuel up here, not far from my house at all.

Nice! I have to stop there and drop $100 on filling up every time I am down that way just for shits and giggles. :dumb:

Did E85 stop being offered from gas station here locally? My wife and I couldn't find any in Gahanna. Luckily the rental truck runs on whatever.

No it's just not very common. A handful of Speedways, Meijers, and Krogers around town have it, but it's not many.

Did E85 stop being offered from gas station here locally? My wife and I couldn't find any in Gahanna. Luckily the rental truck runs on whatever.

Meijer on N Hamilton carries E85, unsure if it's still Gahanna. Otherwise, there are E85-carrying Speedway and Kroger/Turkey Hill stations near Gahanna.