“Columbus Loop”

zeitgeist57

I watched this video...

...and it made me realize I hardly ever cruise in the evenings in years past. Now that the weather is nice again, I should get out for a short cruise.

I’m going to go out and Time how long it takes to go around downtown Columbus from 315N>670E>71S>70W and back again. I like the idea of a continuous “circuit” where I don’t have to deal with traffic lights, and the downtown skyline will be cool. Plus, it’s not too long...seems like a nice route to go with other cruisers, be able to pipe it a bit under the Cap, 670/71 interchange tunnel, etc...

Anyone have a route they take when they just want to go out for a drive?

I like late evenings when it's nice enough to have the t-tops out of the Camaro or the targa out of the Vette, and since I live on the east side I head in on 670, down 4th street through downtown, and back 70 so I can blast the long ramp from 70 east to 270 north. Something about looking up at the tall buildings through an open roof I like, used to do that in the Miata too.

I like lots of different drives, the 555, along the Ohio river, north east Licking county, but the above is one of my favorite short drives.

Scott gets it: having the downtown skyline is a really pretty vista.

Did a cruise with a few other guys tonight. It’s not an adrenaline rush but a solid 7-8 on the fun scale. The loop only takes 7 minutes to clear, at normal highway speeds.

Notes:

- Clockwise is better than counter-clockwise (potholes on 70/71N)

- Lots of tunnels/overpasses to pipe your exhaust.

- Construction on 70E is a problem. Not a problem 70W.

- Surprising amount of traffic, and the cars that are out are crazy/drunk.

I usually go out of my way to get gas, like usually the Dublin Costco has the cheapest gas of the 3, so I’ll go there, or drive out 161 to Granville and come home. Up Route 3 to Sunbury then over to 71 S, off at Polaris, and then home.

We tried 270 and 161 cruising and four fast cars felt like too much. Also, the roadways were extremely busy even though it was late evening.

Columbus really has outgrown it's road ways. You can't do the stuff you used to.

I personally like taking surface streets when I do this type of thing, and I usually just randomly drive around. Maybe I like surface streets because I spend 35 minutes of my 40 minute (one way) commute on highways, they just feel boring to me.

On what Scott said, one of the things I love about having a convertible that I didn't know or realize is the sights/founds/feels I notice, especially when going slower/stopped at lights. Like the underpass radiating heat on a cool night after a hot day, or the smell of the river as you drive over it. I can't imagine not having some kind of convertible in my life now after having owned one.

If I go for a fun cruise, I jump on 71 N, to Polaris Parkway, take Polaris down to 23, then 23 to 270 down to Westerville usually. Mix of freeway and slower but wide roads...

Or on occasion jump on 23 going the other direction and hit the underpasses and time the blow off valves to release right as I pass through...always fun.

Other popular places to drive around in your convertible

http://i.imgur.com/W1YG9SL.jpg

:p:p:p

:funny:

I usually hit up the country, heading north east out toward Mnt Vernon. There are all kinds of decent state highway cruises with good, smooth roads and twisties. The further north east you go, the better the elevation changes get too. Ohio 555 is a blast for that as well heading south.

I do miss the days of old where you could do the 270 loop in 20-30min late at night.

I have a "Loop" that would be fun...

Start At Iron Pony next to 161

Hook up with 161 and take it to 270 South

Pass Easton and pick up 670

Take it all the way to 71 North

Take that all the way up to 270 East

Get off at 161 East

Get off at Sunbury

Drive up to Central College Rd.

Take the back roads for a while and loop around back to Sunbury.

Take Big Walnut up north, hooking up with N State Street.

Take that to Polaris and end the loop at Quaker Steak for some beer.

This would be a total of ~43 miles and cover Highway driving, Street Driving, and Back roads for some added fun.

Just an idea, What do you guys think?

I enjoy the ole 315N into Delaware then head back across to Riverside Drive?/Dublin Road area to come back South.

There is a really fun straight shot that follows up the river from Dublin to Prospect. River road (st rt 257) to Klondike Rd (straight through at the light on 42). Klondike dead ends into rt 36, make a quick left then right at the flashing light back onto 257. That will run all the way up to Prospect with some nice straights and curves mixed in. Stop at the gas station/ice cream shop/ or pizza place in Prospect for a break. Then take rt 203 all the way back to South Section line rd, that will dead end at a round about back on Home rd to complete the loop.

Columbus has outgrown itself, completely. Very poorly planned roadways and access. It will only get worse. Track days are the easy solution if you want to play

I think this is a poor way of looking at the situation... It's about the journey, not the destination... right? This is opinionated, but a cruise to me involves seeing some great sights and driving great roads. The east side of Hoover into New Albany has some AMAZING back roads full of long sections and twisting roads. 71 and 670 have some great sections that are not traveled at night. I would recommend a route that goes up 71 during sunset to REALLY see downtown Columbus against the skyline. Some sections off 315 are good for some driving as well.

Nothing substitutes the fun of driving on track, but I believe that Columbus has a LOT to give automotive enthusiasts in terms of roads to drive on. You just have to look hard enough and I guarantee we could plan a cruise to end all cruises. :cool:

I always liked hitting the 670/315/71 area and then going downtown and just driving slow. around the main areas. Dublin Rd is a nice slow drive too. A little bit of trees and parks and the river.