2006 Cobalt 2.2L timing chain question

dakotart

Replaced the head, timing chain, water pump, etc.

When installing the timing chain, there are 3 colored links that line up with each cam sprocket and the crank sprocket.

I lined up the marks with the chain and then rotated the engine. There is no binding, but the colored links have never matched on the cam and crank sprockets after rotating.

After watching several videos and seeing some comments, I'm just not sure if this is correct or not.

I replaced the balance shaft chain and lined up the marks but it's now the same as the timing chain. The marks haven't lined up since rotating the motor.

So the question is, if you lined up the marks correctly, will they always line up after you rotate this motor?

The crank gear is larger than the cam gear so as long as you had it at TDC first, then make sure they are all properly aligned in time you are good. They will not all align again after you rotate it over
The crank gear on this motor is actually smaller than the cam gears.

The crank was TDC for cylinder #1.

I was expecting it to line up every at least every few rotations.

No it’ll never line up, so long as everything is in time when first all lined up it’ll be fine. As a good tip, I’ve had a few of these jump time when first started if you don’t get the tensioner to release before it’s started, really easy to do with a long screwdriver or prybar to push against that guide in the back and make it pop out. Otherwise you dick around rotating the engine around for no good reason.

No it’ll never line up, so long as everything is in time when first all lined up it’ll be fine. As a good tip, I’ve had a few of these jump time when first started if you don’t get the tensioner to release before it’s started, really easy to do with a long screwdriver or prybar to push against that guide in the back and make it pop out. Otherwise you dick around rotating the engine around for no good reason.

Thanks I did see that in a video. It's a new tensioner and the chain is tight.

Thanks for everyone's insight.