RX-8 Broke Down, Whats My Next Car?

ShowHBK

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-9 pages

-CR delivers multiple suggestions based on your feedback and your budget

-CRs most respected member offers one of the best available examples of a top suggestion

-You have somehow gotten nearly everyone to agree with Kerry

-Your reasoning for not liking any of the suggestions is now “emotional”

-You mentioned being 28 and acted like a C5 would be an accomplishment at your age

I’m going to guess that your budget is actually half of what you state, and/or you are a female. Enjoy your Lincoln MKZ.

-9 pages

-CRs most respected member offers one of the best available examples of a top suggestion

-You mentioned being 28 and acted like a C5 would be an accomplishment at your age

I’m going to guess that your budget is actually half of what you state, and/or you are a female. Enjoy your Lincoln MKZ.

Complete misunderstanding ensues.... ok ok ok....

WE ARE IN FULL STOP RIGHT NOW

What do I need to clear up?

Im pulling the fucking brakes on this thread because this reply could not be any more incorrect from how I fell.

What would you like me to explain?

TIL: Infiniti makes their jellybean G/M/Q (i can't tell them apart) midsize sedan with the 5.6L V8. :thumbup:

Mike, maybe you should get a cheap car to get you around before committing on a financed ride for the long term. I love my Lincolns, and they've been $2k-or-less boats that cost nothing to fix and maintain.

Maybe get an old pickup truck? Something useful that you could even keep when you do get the next "dream car"?

Maybe get an old pickup truck? Something useful that you could even keep when you do get the next "dream car"?

Kevan has suggested this to me a few times... I have someone who wants to sell my a 1997 Dodge Ram pickup with a busted trans for $400. used trans and I rebuild kit would be ~$2000 and the transfer case seems to be intact.

Only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is the potential reliability of the car overall. I need something that will start every morning and not fail me, thats where i'm at. Any doubt that the car will start scares me away from doing the truck. But yea... I will keep this in mind for sure. I would love to stash some money away for the Mustang I want. :thumbup:

???

- asks me to rank cars... based off opinionated looks/aesthetics

- I rank the cars based off my opinion

- Gets called a moron for my opinion

CR at its finest folks!

You missed the days of Gabe and Phil. They would have been all over this thread like stink on shit, it would have ended up in the kitchen 10 years ago.

Kevan has suggested this to me a few times... I have someone who wants to sell my a 1997 Dodge Ram pickup with a busted trans for $400. used trans and I rebuild kit would be ~$2000 and the transfer case seems to be intact.

Only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is the potential reliability of the car overall. I need something that will start every morning and not fail me, thats where i'm at. Any doubt that the car will start scares me away from doing the truck. But yea... I will keep this in mind for sure. I would love to stash some money away for the Mustang I want. :thumbup:

Yeah well maybe don't buy a piece of shit project truck. Go out and find a decent, clean, used Frontier or Tacoma with a stick and buy that. Hell even those old base model ford Rangers with a stick and a four can be found for cheap clean with a good service history.

I keep telling you motorcycles are where it is at anyway, way better than cars as toys. If you have a truck you can haul all manner of toys home.

You missed the days of Gabe and Phil. They would have been all over this thread like stink on shit, it would have ended up in the kitchen 10 years ago.

oof... good thing the same 7 people post on CR these days. Not like new people are joining fast. :p

That was meant to be a joke... just throwing it out there.

Docs car is a steal at that price...have to say, while it's all emotional opinion, the FR-S/BRZ looks much better than an RX-8. You will hate life if you buy a sedan. Buy a 3 season fun car, and $2000 corolla or honda with a timing chain engine for winter.

From all I've read it doesn't sound like an expensive car should be a priority.

Im with this guy

jp buys rx-8, does turbo 6.0, runs single digit in the quarters, and gets more internet fame.

Its possible. :)

Docs car is a steal at that price...have to say, while it's all emotional opinion, the FR-S/BRZ looks much better than an RX-8. You will hate life if you buy a sedan. Buy a 3 season fun car, and $2000 corolla or honda with a timing chain engine for winter.

Many have recommended- he already said he cant park 2 cars.

-9 pages

And this guy.

My official and final take-I'm not here to judge. However, if you were my kid and in your current position, I would tell you you need a MAJOR priority shift and maybe this is a wake up call? 30yrs old seems to be a pivot point in most peoples lives. At 30yr are either well on the path to success and pressing the throttle down, your are at a cross roads where it could go either way, or you are on the path of forever hovering above the poverty line. It seems you are directly in that crossroads sir. This is coming from somebody that was born into deep poverty and saw many go down both roads.

So, My advice is NOT to worry about a car that can be fun. Worry about a mode of transportation only, an A to B that will maximize your dollar (IE- civic) and focus on bigger priorities. Better income, a home so you can own more than one car? THEN- buy the toy. And by that time, you will likely be in a position to acquire much more.

If a car is your only owned asset (assuming its even owned) you need to rethink your strategy.

oof... good thing the same 7 people post on CR these days. Not like new people are joining fast. :p

That was meant to be a joke... just throwing it out there.

Fair enough. :)

You realize there is a bit of irony in saying you need a vehicle that you can count on starting everyday when you own a RX-8, right?

That's also a joke, for the record.

HBK, it sounds like you're making this a lot harder than it needs to be.

Sorry if I missed it, but why are you limited to just one vehicle? What's your current living status....do you own a house? Rent an apartment? Living with parents? Any roommates, wife, kids? Not here to judge, I'm just trying to help.

My official and final take-I'm not here to judge. However, if you were my kid and in your current position, I would tell you you need a MAJOR priority shift and maybe this is a wake up call? 30yrs old seems to be a pivot point in most peoples lives. At 30yr are either well on the path to success and pressing the throttle down, your are at a cross roads where it could go either way, or you are on the path of forever hovering above the poverty line. It seems you are directly in that crossroads sir. This is coming from somebody that was born into deep poverty and saw many go down both roads.

So, My advice is NOT to worry about a car that can be fun. Worry about a mode of transportation only, an A to B that will maximize your dollar (IE- civic) and focus on bigger priorities. Better income, a home so you can own more than one car? THEN- buy the toy. And by that time, you will likely be in a position to acquire much more.

If a car is your only owned asset (assuming its even owned) you need to rethink your strategy.

I agree with JP, as I mentioned earlier up the thread today. A lot of us are having fun with Mike's situation, living vicariously and making recommendations on what he should buy. Truthfully, he needs to get something simple and cheap to have as an "anchor" all-weather DD with some utility, and focus on the fun car later.

... but fuck it...

(ʘ‿ʘ)

Quick test: Put these cars in order of how emotional they make you feel, or how likely you are to walk into a gas station and turn around just to see how good it looks.

BRZ/FRS

Mustang

GTI

Miata

C5 Corvette

Ferrari 458

$150 truck

$200 truck

CVPI

BRZ/FRS/Moo-stank/GTI

Shopping cart

Miata

1994 Supra TT

458 is there isn't a Supra TT anywhere around

C5

Zero doubt in my mind that it would be an awesome car... I just have little connection with that body/style...idk... given my last post... I feel like a failed to accurately explain why I am hesitating...So... I give up... Come talk to me in person, because text fucking sucks to explain things...

Agreed and I'd love to but given that I live in Cville and don't have much free time I don't think it would happen before you buy a car so we'll have to have the convo after you get whatever you get.

and a) think it is not "Challenge Accepted"; and b) whine about being disrespected? dude, man up already.

lXMUfz5.gif

-CRs most respected member

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

However, if you were my kid...

Aren't you still, like, 20 trying to wear a HS letter jacket to a bar?

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1962226#post1962226 Buy this right fucking now for a daily! cheap reliable transportation that gets amazing MPG, then you can worry about a fun car later.

That's a bingo. Get this, pay off debt, profit.

I agree with JP, as I mentioned earlier up the thread today. A lot of us are having fun with Mike's situation, living vicariously and making recommendations on what he should buy. Truthfully, he needs to get something simple and cheap to have as an "anchor" all-weather DD with some utility, and focus on the fun car later.

Agreed. Something like an old Lincoln or truck. :p

...but for real, I agree.

HBK, it sounds like you're making this a lot harder than it needs to be.

Sorry if I missed it, but why are you limited to just one vehicle? What's your current living status....do you own a house? Rent an apartment? Living with parents? Any roommates, wife, kids? Not here to judge, I'm just trying to help.

9 pages in feels like more attention than i actually expected this to get. I honestly thought it would be "LOLZ Rx-8 DeAd, LuLz RoTaRy Iz Baaaaad"... but there have been a LOT of great suggestions in this thread... more cars then I actually considered.

I think the reason this "looks" like im making it hard, is because im more vocal than most. I'm taking a lot of time to read what people post and actually get excited to read, but I think im a little "too" vocal about how I feel about different cars. If anyone is reading this and stuck it out... im not trying to sound insulting for your suggestions... I just like the conversation. My issue is that I treat CR like a real life conversation and sometimes the context is lost.

Deep Breath...

Yes, I own a condo and pay a mortgage. Ashley (my fiancée) lives with me. We both have full time jobs and make ~$40k each. We have no children, no current car payment...and a ass load of college debt.

Does this answer your question? or you want more info.

An automatic hybrid is a good buy but may cause bad decisions when the boredom sets in. An 8th gen Civic SI will get almost 40mpg. Can be auto crossed or beat on all day and be had cheap. Even a RSX type S. Just get one bone stock.

Yes, I own a condo and pay a mortgage. Ashley (my fiancée) lives with me. We both have full time jobs and make ~$40k each. We have no children, no current car payment...and a ass load of college debt.

Does this answer your question? or you want more info.

Yes, that's sufficient. I'm in pretty much the exact same boat. Wife and I make about the same amount you both make. We own a house. No kids. She has a good amount of college debt still.

Is there a reason you can't (or don't want) to own more than one car?

you sir are correct. I will never forget gabe's kaka/shit stuff

Whatever car you decide to buy, Lets talk for a minute on how you are going to pay for it.

If you need to finance....

Shop for the right credit. Comparison shop using resources like bankrate.com and see what low rate you can get approved for. Keep in mind, low rate used car loans from major lenders will limit the car to under 100K miles and under 5 years old and purchased from a franchise dealer. That being said I got a loan on my audi at 1.99% from BofA back in 2011 that I bought from a BMW dealer. I also got approved for a 2.49% loan from PenFed a couple of years ago for a 10 year old under 100K car that I did not buy.

You don't want to open too many credit lines, so choose wisely. Once you have the approval letter you can start to shop. If the dealer that that you are buying from has a finance department you can have them run it as well. Car dealers make money off the credit they sell you, so their incentive is to sell you the highest interest rate they can reasonably justify. If you have been pre-approved for a low interest loan the dealer is required to be able to match it (at least in NY, is that true in Ohio?). Why is that important? well, dealers might give you more off the car if you take their financing as opposed as third party financing which is just like a cash purchase for the car. The dealer makes more profit off the interest so you might come out ahead if you are saavy with the math by taking a lower purchase price with a higher interest rate.

When having a finance discussion with the dealer, avoid the "four square" conversation. Read this:

https://www.consumerreports.org/consumerist/dealerships-rip-you-off-with-the-four-square-heres-how-to-beat-it/

If it is cash, and a specialty car (VW GTI, Miata, wrx, etc) then have a PPI done on the car by either the dealer or a reputable repair shop. It's cheap insurance plus it gives you a punch list on known issues to fix as you go.

good luck.