RX-8 Broke Down, Whats My Next Car?

ShowHBK

As the title implies... I was driving back to work from Microcenter after picking up our order and the engine backfired hard at low RPM and suddenly the RPM started to rise like the clutch was slipping, I went to up-shift, but the car died going 45 MPH. So, here I am... dead in the water, under the bridge of 315 at Henderson. I pop the hood and nothing looks out of place, but when I crank it sounded like metal rattling in a can. I could not figure out if it was coming from the CAT or the engine, but I was able to get it to start after a few cranks. The car sounded and ran like ASS, but I needed to try and get it back to work. Engine died about a mile up the road and backfired hard again. Following that, each time I cranked I could hear rattling and the car would eventually start, but die less then a second later.

The RX-8 is at my mechanics and being looked at. My assumption (and hope) is that the CAT blew up and caused the sensors to shut the car off. The rattling sound could be lose bits of CAT flying around...IDK...

Regardless... i'm tired of dumping money into the RX-8 and it's not worth much as scrap and I might just keep it until I can afford to fix it up properly, which brings me to my next question. You have ~$15,000 to spend on a car, maximum ~$18,000 but that's pushing it. Those who know me, know that I have had my eyes on an S550 body Mustang, but the V8 is out of the question on such short notice... how's the V6? I've driven the EcoBoost ones and they were ok, but people say the Turbos explode... is that true?

What car would CR buy with ~$15,000? I don't want something "boring"... I want something fun with a manual transmission and a car that I can take back to Autocross in on the weekends, but also drive to work each day. So, what's out there that can make me forget about my RX-8?

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Low mileage C5. I paid less then that for my car with 50k on it. Most Corvettes are very clean and well maintained unlike so many other things. Obviously I’m biased but that’s my 2 cents.

There’s always Miatas, S2000s, and the like. Maybe there are decent deals on BRZs. These imo are all suitable Rx8 replacements.

I'm very biased to V8 pony cars. For your budget, I'd look at a 5th gen V8 Camaro, 5.0L S197 Mustang, or a C5.

If you want something slightly different and have some time, build a nice LS swapped 3rdgen F body or maybe just find a clean low mile 4th gen.

Weren't you trying to sell this same car with a busted motor a couple years ago? So I'm assuming you fixed it.....and now it broke again? My apologies if I'm mis-remembering

Yes, I listed the 8 on CR last year in an attempt to sell it. At the time it ran good, but shortly after I posted it I got a CEL for the CAT starting to fail so I lowered the price. Only bite I got at the time was an offer for $2700 under the assumption that the person was buying it as a "fixer-upper"... I declined.

I was looking at the time to buy a 2015 Mustang GT because the prices were low... but right now I cant afford the asking price of a 2015 GT. :(

Yes, I listed the 8 on CR last year in an attempt to sell it. At the time it ran good, but shortly after I posted it I got a CEL for the CAT starting to fail so I lowered the price. Only bite I got at the time was an offer for $2700 under the assumption that the person was buying it as a "fixer-upper"... I declined.

I was looking at the time to buy a 2015 Mustang GT because the prices were low... but right now I cant afford the asking price of a 2015 GT. :(

Ah, OK. For some reason I thought the motor was trashed before. I was just gonna say, that's some shitty luck if you're having two catastrophic engine failures in two years.

As far as suggestions, I'm with BuckeyeROC. Solid options.

I'm very biased to V8 pony cars. For your budget, I'd look at a 5th gen V8 Camaro, 5.0L S197 Mustang, or a C5.

If you want something slightly different and have some time, build a nice LS swapped 3rdgen F body or maybe just find a clean low mile 4th gen.

Only thing on that list I wouldn't hate myself driving daily is a Mustang. They're roomier than a Camaro and more comfy. C5 in Ohio is just lol RIP spine.

Only thing on that list I wouldn't hate myself driving daily is a Mustang. They're roomier than a Camaro and more comfy. C5 in Ohio is just lol RIP spine.

You’ve been in some real junk C5s haven’t you? Only ragged outs one rattle, and piss poor suspension set ups crush your spine, my car does neither. Having driven more Corvettes then most people I know what I’m talking about. You need to stop bashing something you know nothing about just because you rode in some brothers uncles ragged out high mileage C5.

Only thing on that list I wouldn't hate myself driving daily is a Mustang. They're roomier than a Camaro and more comfy.

No doubt about that regarding comfort, although I would daily any of them if need be. If I'm honest, my old LS1 Trans Am was a better car/daily driver than my S197 Mustang, but I had the 4.6L V8 in the Mustang, not the 5.0L. He has an RX-8 right now though. If he wants comfy and roomy, that's a different list of cars in my mind. Even if staying in the V8 world, more comfy and roomy to me would be Challenger, Charger, older Caddy, etc.

Edited by BuckeyeROC

Some good suggestions already. My C5 Z06 wasn’t a daily, but I drove it a good bit and loved every minute of it. You should definitely be able to find a decent one in that price range. S197 would have more modern amenities and a fresher look/feel I’d guess, but worse gas milage if that’s a factor. E55 is a car I’ve always wanted but never picked up. I think they still look great, sound great and would probably be the most comfortable, but not sure about autocross performance.

Something that hasn’t been mentioned yet, B8 S4? Seems like you can find an earlier higher milage one in that range. Those seem to be popular on here so I’m sure you can get some educated opinions.

Really just comes down to what’s most important to you, because everything mentioned so far is very different from one another.

You've been in a nimble low torque car for a while with the Wank/RX8 and assume like these dynamics. Agree on the BRZ or Miata maybe viable options and suggest a Z4 as well. Unsure if the back seat was ever used in the RX8. Be forewarned most the V8 cars mentioned above are going to feel heavy and less nimble. If you are only looking to go fast and can get used to the weight maybe they will work. When I moved away from the RX7 all the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger cars felt like pigs. The Z4 was a good medium for me. Don't get me wrong the Scat Pack Challenger was impressive 0-60 (OK it was a beast), but not a fit for me..

GL with the decision and new car.

The Frisbee twins are at a really nice point on the depreciation curve. I know they're everywhere but that's a lot of fun per $, they're light on consumables, and being much newer than a rattletrap C5, it should be fairly reliable.

Great suggestion. I didn't know they were so cheap now.

*Didn't see this one is a rebuild. Still a good suggestion if you can find a straight one.

Mike, before you actually go car shopping, go get an insurance quote on the cars on this list. IIRC you are still in your mid-20's which means the ins company might want to bend you over the rail for the premium on some of these cars. Since you are likely financing your $15K hot rod, you'll have to carry full coverage and that can get expensive quick. No point in buying a car if you can't afford to insure said car.

Personally I like the Toybaru twins, but I think even they have higher than average insurance premiums.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I just don't think you've had enough experience driving "high performance" cars to jump into driving a 450hp sports car in ohio winter to get somewhere. You and I have had this conversation before, you need a reliable, not think about it, daily commuter beater that you can abuse and neglect while focusing on the other stuff you are doing. You are working with Kevan on his Lemons car (presumably you'll get to drive that, right?), and now you have the toy project car in your Rx-8. Get like a stick honda civic or a VW GTI if you don't want to be bored to death while you Ls swap the RX8 (your new place has a garage, right?)

just my thoughts. If you really still want to push for a rwd v8 car, then my suggestion is don't finance anything - go buy an old but clean, cheap, unmodded, SN95 new edge mustang and have fun. It's not 400+hp and parts are pretty cheap. something like this: https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/d/centerburg-2000-mustang-gt/6828963931.html

Yeah if we're giving sage advice I've got to agree with Kerry here, there's a lot of really good cars out there and $15-$18 for a depreciating consumable strikes me as a lot of money. I'm 39 and my wife and I make decent money and yet this used minivan I just bought was the most expensive vehicle purchase I've ever made at the ridiculous price of $19.8. But then I'm a wage slave and not independently wealthy like half of CR :)

Insurance, like Kerry mentioned, but also sales tax, both of those are just money for nothing, basically. The tax difference between a solid $9k car and an $18k car is only $700, but that's $700 that you get no enjoyment from.

I've also never been a huge fan of big performance numbers for a DD, but that's a personal preference I guess. I'd rather ring out 140hp on all seasons than loaf around in a Corvette nowhere near the limits of the car. I'll get off my soapbox now.