RX-8 Broke Down, Whats My Next Car?

ShowHBK

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, do you have parking for 2 cars?

Technically... no... but bending the rules is not that hard. The condo that we live at only allows for 1 car to be parked with your parking pass and space is at a minimum. We technically have to pay a fee to park additional cars and that's more of a hassle than it's worth to me.

There ARE a few empty spots down the way... but they are technically reserved for guests (but not marked) and with most people here living in the community for 20+ years and us with 6 months... i'd rather not cause bad blood with the community... but that's just my two cents.

W

Current lineup of serious contenders based off everything I have/know now.

1. S550: Mustang V6 MT
  2. 2013:2014 Lincon MKZ
  3. Infinity G37 (weird... but I kinda like it more and more)
  4. ND MX-5
  5. Mazda 3 Hatchback MT
  6. Dodge Challenger V6 MT (Because why the fuck not?)
  7. Doc's 86... because it looks sexy <3

A few notes on this:

[*]S550: Mustang V6 MT - Nope.

[*]2013:2014 Lincon MKZ - you have mentioned this before, but you know these are FWD right? even the AWD one runs front bias. It boggles my mind that this is an option and a GTi isn't.

[*]Infinity G37 (weird... but I kinda like it more and more) - meh why not, this is at least halfway to what you want.

[*]ND MX-5 - Miata Is Always The Answer for a reason.

[*]Mazda 3 Hatchback MT - Again this is a consideration but a GTI isn't? Also no Speed3 no care, and that's it's own hassle. If you are going to look for a weird mazda stick, go find a manual mazda 6 sport wagon.

[*]Dodge Challenger V6 MT (Because why the fuck not?) - Because it doesn't exist, that's why the fuck not. Seriously, v6 challenger is Auto only, manual is only available on the V8 cars. Now....I will say if you watch it carefully, Dodge does run sub $300 a month lease deals on R/T challengers (even the manual ones), and you can always turn your lease into a finance at the end of term (as bad an idea this is). you could sub this with a camaro v6 MT because that does exist, but everyone is going to want to know why you borrowed your girlfriend's car.

[*]Doc's 86... because it looks sexy <3 - Fucking buy this already. Like right now. Why are you still reading this and not signing papers.

Here is a new list:

- VW Gti MK7 MT

- Honda Accord Sport MT

- Honda Civic Si

- Miata (any generation)

- Fiat 124 spider (Fiat is running a $4K off special on leftover 2018s, which puts the price down to $18K

- 2008-2013 S197 mustang GT Track Pack MT. (Because you won't shut up about a mustang)

- Kia forte koup Manual trans (probably the cheapest one here but if you can find a 2014 with less than 60k miles there will still be some warranty left on it.)

- Toyota corolla hatchback MT (I think you can get these new in or close to your price range).

Start there. focus on reliable, good value, reliable, sensible, easy to insure, reliable, cheap to own, and reliable.

Good luck.

Here is a new list:

- VW Gti MK7 MT

- Honda Accord Sport MT

- Honda Civic Si

- Kia forte koup Manual trans (probably the cheapest one here but if you can find a 2014 with less than 60k miles there will still be some warranty left on it.)

- Toyota corolla hatchback MT (I think you can get these new in or close to your price range).

Seriously. If you're considering a FWD, you owe it to yourself to test-drive a Focus ST.

- 2008-2013 S197 mustang GT Track Pack MT. (Because you won't shut up about a mustang)

Weird spread - why no 2014?

I would limit a search to 2011-2014, because you really want a Coyote. The 4.6 is fine, but given the choice, I'll take another 100+ horsepowers...

I would limit a search to 2011-2014, because you really want a Coyote. The 4.6 is fine, but given the choice, I'll take another 100+ horsepowers...

Didn't know Ford made a Track Pack convertible...that's baller. DEM BRAKES...:megusta:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/766115449/overview/?aff=stemp2&CMP=stemp2

Seriously. If you're considering a FWD, you owe it to yourself to test-drive a Focus ST.

I keep forgetting to add the Focus St but yeah, +1 on the Focus ST. Hell even look at the FIST (Fiesta ST)

Weird spread - why no 2014?

I am not a mustang guy, I thought 2014 was the first year of the S550, but looking it up now it's the last year of the S197, so yeah, include the 2014.

Knowing mike, he is going to probably have to finance this car and I wanted to put the 2008-2010 in there because they are still rwd, v8 mustangs, but would probably offer a better value money wise than the coyote ones. If you look hard enough you can find clean, under 100k miles 2009 for like $9-$12K, but most coyote powered s197s are still trading in the $16-20K range. I'd prefer 100hp too, but knowing that he just took on the debt of buying a condo I'm trying to advocate him not getting into more debt. Personally I would rather he find the cleanest new edge SN95 he can for $5K and pay cash for that, but he won't do it.

I didn't mention the 06-07 cars because they would be harder to finance due to age and I hear they have rust problems.

You're going to have to compromise somewhere, that's how this works with your limits.

The Ford Focus ST might be something you want to look at. They are actually fun to drive and have a lot of room plus good features

Yes I know its wrong-wheel-drive, but when you have a limited budget and a specific set of needs it's something to check out. There are different trim levels so make sure you research that to get what you want.

I test drove one a while ago and it was a fun little car.

Knowing mike, he is going to probably have to finance this car and I wanted to put the 2008-2010 in there because they are still rwd, v8 mustangs, but would probably offer a better value money wise than the coyote ones.

The 2010 had the Bullitt-spec 4.6 with a little more go than the regular 05-09 GT, so if you are relegated to a 4.6, the 2010 is the one to have, if you can't get into an 08-09 Bullitt.

I go on record and say both the FiST and the FoST are outstanding cars with tons of utility as well as quite a fun factor. I will also go on record to say do NOT modify and AutoX your daily driver. Not not NOT a good idea.

Also, you COULD buy an 01 Mustang GT with a stoker 5.0 and a Kenne Bell blower on it for that kind of money... just saying ;)