RX-8 Broke Down, Whats My Next Car?

ShowHBK

You can get a Q50 in that range, or a G37xs easily as well.

replying to my self after re-reading requirements...

if a manual is a must and the car doesnt have to be practical/4 doors, how about a G37 Coupe? Manual, RWD, reliable, 330hp.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went out and saw a few cars today. I have my reference number from a few loan places... but none would qualify me for "private sale" without a cosigner, which I thought was weird.

Germain Cadillac at Easton has a Mustang V6 that looks good. Link

And yes... I know folks have said to "Go V8 or Go home" but Miller does have a point... I need something that's not going to break the bank and fuck me over. If I get something like the V6, it's reliable, parts are easy to find, and light on gas (compared to the RX-8). This one looks like a good option, and with trade-in, money down, and some negotiations... I should be able to get it for a good price.

All the lolz aside, I did find this Lincoln to me interesting. Huge glass roof, fuel efficient, power/leather everything. Really looks like a good value and at 60K miles, not bad in my opinion. Only fear I have is that it is a hybrid... meaning that the battery will die and need replaced at some point. Some folks claim they last for 100k miles.. others have had them go out sooner... ya never know. Only reason I am considering this car is the sheer value it carries with it. If I can't have proformance, you will bet your ass I will try and enjoy the ride with as much value per dollar that I can.

Looking at a few 370z... I can say that im not 100% sure i'm in love with them as much as I could be. The 370z is a very good looking car and I believe that Nissan did a great job with the outside styling, but the interior really has me scratching my head. It feels cheep, child-like, and a complete afterthought... sorry... but this is an opinion, so don't lynch me. :(

After talking to a few folks, the BMW is out of the question due to "possible" high maintenance and potential issues down the line. This also rules out the C5... despite the fact that I was actually falling in love with the idea of owning one.

Current lineup of serious contenders based off everything I have/know now.

1. S550: Mustang V6 MT
  2. 2013:2014 Lincon MKZ
  3. Infinity G37 (weird... but I kinda like it more and more)
  4. ND MX-5
  5. Mazda 3 Hatchback MT
  6. Dodge Challenger V6 MT (Because why the fuck not?)
  7. Doc's 86... because it looks sexy <3

I still fail to understand why a vette would be high maintenance. It’s a damn glorified camaro and parts are everywhere.

What scared me away from the Vette was practicality and Miller's post. YES! I would love to own a Corvette at my age (28)... but I don't feel like its the right car for my situation. I need something that is a little less car, while not sacrificing on the things I want. Insurance quoted me at $675 a year for one up north that I gave them the VIN on, and that was not terrible. ONly other downside I saw was the Clutch and Tires... good lord! it was ~$1200 for a full set of new tires. What I really should be looking for is a car that was produced in the last 4-5 years and meets my requirements.. something almost 18-19 years old, does not peek my interest after Millers post... Also, Greg is going to punch me in the dick if a screw this up :/

If you buy an MKZ I'll personally punch you in the dick.

oof... um.. well, it's the value for what i'm getting. $16K for very comfy seats, leather everything, great speakers and infotainment, along with glass roof and rear seat heaters... there is not much better of car with "stuff" in it for the price. I'm not saying im drooling over the MKZ, nor is it my first choice... I'm just saying that in the category of "features per dollar" you don't get much better. I can't find many Cadillacs, BMW, or Mercedes that have the "features" of the MKZ for the price.

I would say look up a newer Buick (2011+) 4 banger turbo. But then again Buick LOL. You're not old enough to own one. Worth a look though? You might be able to find a 6 spd awd one.

But then again you're not old enough to own a buick so there goes that idea.

I would say look up a newer Buick (2011+) 4 banger turbo. But then again Buick LOL. You're not old enough to own one. Worth a look though? You might be able to find a 6 spd awd one.

But then again you're not old enough to own a buick so there goes that idea.

The AWD Regal GS was auto only. Manuals were FWD but surprisingly great with the "hiper" strut system or whatever they call it, reduces torque steer dramatically. Lots to like with those cars though....quick, easy to mod, nice wheels, great ride, comfy, nice interior, Brembos, and so on

The AWD Regal GS was auto only. Manuals were FWD but surprisingly great with the "hiper" strut system or whatever they call it, reduces torque steer dramatically. Lots to like with those cars though....quick, easy to mod, nice wheels, great ride, comfy, nice interior, Brembos, and so on

Yep. I thought about getting one but somehow I can't peel myself away from my 03. It does have a stupid built 5k trans in it so I'm waiting for someone to hit me to I can yank the trans for the Fiero. So until then I keep driving it.

I have yet to drive a 2011+ regal. Kinda want to just to see how it feels. I'm used to old school shit with no navigation, all the digital shit that comes with new cars. Only thing close to that is my wife's '12 cruze but that's a different story.

What I find funny here is what a shitty daily a rotary makes and how they are prone to blowing apex seals, and all these other cars are expensive to maintain or un practical. OP needs to go buy a fucking Prius.

A Rotary is only a shit daily if you don't take care of it. Mine was very well maintained and red-lined each day, which gave it a long life. I got my RX-8 in 2012 and it lasted this long without blowing any seals... so... honestly, I consider myself lucky.

Also... Fuck the Prius...

The good thing about using the word "practical" is that almost anything is an upgrade from what I currently have.

I still fail to understand why a vette would be high maintenance. It’s a damn glorified camaro and parts are everywhere.

It's just old, 15 years at a minimum at this point. Any car at that age is going to make a questionable DD.

oof... um.. well, it's the value for what i'm getting. $16K for very comfy seats, leather everything, great speakers and infotainment, along with glass roof and rear seat heaters... there is not much better of car with "stuff" in it for the price. I'm not saying im drooling over the MKZ, nor is it my first choice... I'm just saying that in the category of "features per dollar" you don't get much better. I can't find many Cadillacs, BMW, or Mercedes that have the "features" of the MKZ for the price.

I'm sure it's a fine daily but you're never gonna autocross it because it's a big dumb turd and the next thing you know you're posting on CR about how great Buicks are. I'M LOOKING AT YOU CR.

greg..you're killed me on the buick comment...lol..being an old guy I loved my 03 Park with 200k on it.

I don't know what the common components between a 2.0T regal and an ats 2.0T would be but I've heard the ats with a tune is pretty fun

I had a Regal 2.0T as a rental car a few years back and it was actually a very nice car, not at all "Buick-y", but it was still like 3600 lbs and I wouldn't be jazzed about autocrossing one. Also IIRC the manual was only offered in FWD so even if you can throw more boost at it you're just frying the front tires. That's assuming you can even find one.

I mostly drive minivans so it's not like I have room to talk anyway :)

greg..yes I've done the mini van thing too..you do what you gotta do

I've got to agree with cordell..a c5 can be had for a song and are a ton of fun.

I bought my father in laws c5 a few years ago and it really wasn't loved for a long time

I put a few grand into it and it was a blast..always got compliments and it could out handle and run a lot of cars...

Don't be dumb HBK.

Current lineup of serious contenders based off everything I have/know now.

1. S550: Mustang V6 MT
  2. 2013:2014 Lincon MKZ
  3. Infinity G37 (weird... but I kinda like it more and more)
  4. ND MX-5
  5. Mazda 3 Hatchback MT
  6. Dodge Challenger V6 MT (Because why the fuck not?)
  7. Doc's 86... because it looks sexy <3

:lolguy:

Most of you guys wouldn't recommend, buy, drive, or have a photo of an RX8 in your sig, so I don't see why you guys are surprised with his serious contenders list. Let the dude live his best life...

Along the same thought process as JP, the answer is always a fun car (or 3) + a reliable Honda Accord daily driver / winter beater.

V6 any sports car that is domestic is a depreciation trap.

If you want practical and easy get an accord. Don’t waste your time with a v6 mustang and especially not a v6 challenger.

Honestly if you are having trouble getting financed on a $16k car odds are you really need to put your focus on other stuff in life other than a fun car for awhile, or at least get a suuuuper cheap fun car like a $2500 Miata.

Also BIG lol at the Lincoln, id put as much worry into the roof fucking up as I would the hybrid battery dying.