RX-8 Broke Down, Whats My Next Car?

ShowHBK

He didn't have to go out of his range to get a v8. Aaron, I and a host of other people pointed out a slightly older s197 coyote was within range for him.

Speaking of hobbies, how's the forging coming? Haven't seen much knife makes no lately. Seen plenty of high road trolling tho....

There were a number of reasons why the v8 was out of reach.

-The RX-8 was not running and I needed a car for work and for play

-I am not exactly rolling in the money, so budget was a factor

-I needed something practical, yet fun

-I wanted a Mustang for a while... so...yea

-Finally, the biggest nail in the coffin was that YES, I could have gotten a v8 2012 or 2011 in budget...buuuuut high miles and doing research on those years, "some of them" with an emphasis on the "some" have transmission/clutch issues over 60-70k miles, which were what I was seeing most. I was not interested in driving my shit bucket RX-8 200+ miles away for a deal to fall apart and I was also not going to do craigslist purchase on something I was not confident in.

In the end... I purchased a low miles, dependable, fun car, that was in budget and the year/body type I wanted. The car has 29k miles, MT, and is a HUGE upgrade from the RX-8, which I actually still have as a bargaining chip or track car. CarMax offered me $700 for the RX-8.. Im thinking of listing it on CR for $2000... and accept any offer for $1800 if someone wanted to talk me down.

Any takers? Looking to get rid of it as FAST AS POSSIBLE. I might even take $1700 cash for the RX-8...title and all... needs a new exhaust and thats about it.. runs and drives fine if it had new exhaust

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't have to go out of his range to get a v8. Aaron, I and a host of other people pointed out a slightly older s197 coyote was within range for him.

Older vehicles are harder to get loans for, insurance is higher in a V8 (typically), and maintenance and gas costs are higher.

Speaking of hobbies, how's the forging coming? Haven't seen much knife makes no lately. Seen plenty of high road trolling tho....

Really well actually. Already got booked for 6 blacksmithing gigs total this year (all paying and turned down 1 other) PLUS sales, sold a $200 knife with sheath a couple weeks ago, finished 3 commissioned re-handles/revamp's of old blades with 4 more in the works, and have the books closed because I'm not wanting to take on more since I'm starting a new career that pays far more than I was making which also provides a company vehicle and credit card yet leaves me kind of uncertain schedule wise (although I basically make my own now it seems) and don't want to have customers left in the dark since I have an order of 50-100 handle jobs potentially. I also have or have lined up to make a few grand already this year playing music. I really appreciate your concern. How's the lawyering and the 3 pedal automatic non-running GTO coming along?

Check your grammar and yourself. I don't put my entire life online.

EDIT: Are they still hobbies if you continually get paid to do them? I'm confused.

Edited by Otis Nice

Older vehicles are harder to get loans for, insurance is higher in a V8 (typically), and maintenance and gas costs are higher.

I forgot to mention in my last post, but insurance on a 2012 V8 was $135 per month... 2016 V6 was $82 #NoBrainer :lol:

I have no accidents or tickets on record

There were a number of reasons why the v8 was out of reach.

-The RX-8 was not running and I needed a car for work and for play

-I am not exactly rolling in the money, so budget was a factor

-I needed something practical, yet fun

-I wanted a Mustang for a while... so...yea

-Finally, the biggest nail in the coffin was that YES, I could have gotten a v8 2012 or 2011 in budget...buuuuut high miles and doing research on those years, "some of them" with an emphasis on the "some" have transmission/clutch issues over 60-70k miles, which were what I was seeing most. I was not interested in driving my shit bucket RX-8 200+ miles away for a deal to fall apart and I was also not going to do craigslist purchase on something I was not confident in.

In the end... I purchased a low miles, dependable, fun car, that was in budget and the year/body type I wanted. The car has 29k miles, MT, and is a HUGE upgrade from the RX-8, which I actually still have as a bargaining chip or track car. CarMax offered me $700 for the RX-8.. Im thinking of listing it on CR for $2000... and accept any offer for $1800 if someone wanted to talk me down.

Any takers? Looking to get rid of it as FAST AS POSSIBLE. I might even take $1700 cash for the RX-8...title and all... needs a new exhaust and thats about it.. runs and drives fine if it had new exhaust

You do you. I think you made big upgrade here, stayed in your budget (responsible), and can still have more fun that you ever did in your RX8. Don't let this ogre's reaction affect your joy:

40535032703_26a04324a3_m.jpg

That guy can't beat you in the 1/4 or the twisties. :lol:

Kerry, love ya bro. Nothing but fun and respect. You know that. ;)

Nice pickup. Glad the (insert any car) you picked up is better than your RX8. Hope to see you at some events.

I lol'd.

I use to think my 1992 Tercel would be "it". JP had a POS 1995 (IIRC) Tercel that HE though was the shit. Ope! Our bad. :lol:

I voiced my opinion to get a v8. I still stand by that and would have gotten the older 2011+ s197 5.0 to get it vs the v6 s550. With that being said anyone out there using their car is a winner in my book. I actually think someone tracking a v6 mustang is much cooler than the guy hard parking a gt/350/500. I also find it ironic that the people picking on his car purchase the most drive literal shit boxes, like you've pointed out multiple times.

Personally I wouldnt have done the 6er, but it's not my car. Also, Turner tuned a v6 turbo car that made 600 wheel so there is potential to make some power. What tranny is in the stick v6?

If Tom is giving those wheels away, please take them and wrap them in some sticky bologna.

I thought Tom was trolling... is he really selling his wheels? I'm sorry, but I thought he was kidding around.

So what was the final analysis on the RX-8? Did I miss that?

Catalytic Converter is fucked... something inside the engine is causing it to burn more oil than needed. Outside of that, my mechanic looked at me and said that I need to sell it ASAP. I paid him ~$300-ish to get it running from misc parts and it runs.. and drives... but its not going to last much longer without some bank behind it to pay for new parts.

If I was to be honest... the RX-8 needs an engine rebuild, a new Cat, and possible new clutch. If someone wanted it for a track car and wanted to put in some work, then it would be great for them, but for me? I need something to get to work in the morning and have fun on the weekends.

Carmax offered me $700 for it and I decided that I could get more for it on FB marketplace or Craigslist. I will sell the RX-8 cheep now... im not interested in banking too much money off it, I'm just not accepting $700 American Pesos for it either.

Really well actually. Already got booked for 6 blacksmithing gigs total this year (all paying and turned down 1 other) PLUS sales, sold a $200 knife with sheath a couple weeks ago, finished 3 commissioned re-handles/revamp's of old blades with 4 more in the works, and have the books closed because I'm not wanting to take on more since I'm starting a new career that pays far more than I was making which also provides a company vehicle and credit card yet leaves me kind of uncertain schedule wise (although I basically make my own now it seems) and don't want to have customers left in the dark since I have an order of 50-100 handle jobs potentially. I also have or have lined up to make a few grand already this year playing music. I really appreciate your concern. How's the lawyering and the 3 pedal automatic non-running GTO coming along?

Check your grammar and yourself. I don't put my entire life online.

Be Otis, put your life online, claim you don't put your life online.

:lolguy:

And it's time to pass the wheels along, maybe he had a use for them.

I dont care what you do with them, they're yours. I wanted them out of my garage, you made that happen!

Good job HBK. You bought a car. What options besides MT did you acquire on this thing? If Tom is giving those wheels away, please take them and wrap them in some sticky bologna.

They need plastidipped and new tires but would look better than the 16s his came with.

Be Otis, put your life online, claim you don't put your life online.

:lolguy:

Oh sweet, simple, DJ. I really thought you knew better. If you still believe, after knowing me for well over a decade, that what I say/put up here or even on FB is "putting my life online" you're far more naive than I ever thought. There's a lot I do that I never post and a lot I post that I never do. :lol:

You've known me, what, 18 years or so? You couldn't even pick my 2 kids out of a line up. I don't post them all over social media. I don't post what I'm eating. In CB I will chit chat with buddies about what I'm doing and that's about the extent of it. ;)

Oh sweet, simple, DJ. I really thought you knew better. If you still believe, after knowing me for well over a decade, that what I say/put up here or even on FB is "putting my life online" you're far more naive than I ever thought. There's a lot I do that I never post and a lot I post that I never do. :lol:

You've known me, what, 18 years or so? You couldn't even pick my 2 kids out of a line up. I don't post them all over social media. I don't post what I'm eating. In CB I will chit chat with buddies about what I'm doing and that's about the extent of it. ;)

It's cute that you think that.

You literally have a podcast that is put online weekly, and your own forging youtube channel, along with having been on an episode of a TV show as one of the main "characters" (like, not an extra). Everyone else on here that can claim those three things, raise your hand. Your life is more "online" than the majority of the folks on CR, bruh. Me being able to pick your kids out of a lineup has less to do with me being able to discern what they look like, and more to do with me not caring to know what ANYONE'S kids look like.

It's cute that you think that.

It's cute that you think you're right and know everything including what I mentioned to Kerry which obviously I haven't put online anywhere. Please, tell me what I did all day yesterday, what my kids look like, or where I'm going all weekend since I've put everything out there. If you can do just these 3 little things I'll concede.

Oh. You edited.

You say not being able to say what my kids look like because you don't care while also knowing that I don't put everything on FB is laughable. My oldest is 5. If I even put half of my life and goings on online you'd have seen them plastered all over FB. You know this is true. Don't be ridiculous.

TIL: being on 1 TV show with strangers 4 years ago is "putting my entire life online". :dumb:

I do have a podcast called Buckhorn Podcast. Shameless plug. Thanks for the shout-out. Thanks for being a multiple time guest. Guess you put your entire life online too, eh? I say less on there than I do in CB. Have you listened to every episode? If not you look kind of silly claiming that I tell the listeners everything about my personal life.

Chieftain Forge on YouTube folks. Come see my entire life. Tell me about myself.

Thanks for all the plugs! Now, stop being silly. :lol:

DJ should be better.

Edited by Otis Nice

Otis: CR's ugly version of Kim Kardashian, with less money.

I've been called worse by greater men. :lolguy:

So you're admitting that you were wrong I'll assume. Glad you tried to call me out. Let's do lunch soon. Good luck on the job hunt. :)

EDIT: Sorry a V6 Mustang thread got derailed. DJ just can't resist talking about me. :masturboy: