And another one? What would CR do Japan edition.

Trouble Maker

Some of you know this, but probably some don't. I'm over in Japan for about a year on an overseas assignment.

So, if you lived in Japan, what (25+ year old) car would you buy, drive for a bit and bring back?

I'm looking for ideas, but nothing has really sparked my interest enough to dive in yet.

Ideas!

Of course GTR is on the list, but imho they are getting to be too expensive for the reality of what they are. R33s are of legal age now. But I already have an S2000 back home and honestly for the money it doesn't seem like a better car. Rather than spend another $20k+ over the S2k, I could just dump $10~15k into the S2k and put some really nice coilovers, wheels on it and supercharge it and still have a much better car than a stock GTR. If I bought the GTR, I would be selling the S2k when I got back to the US. Maybe the R32 is actually the better car for the money and is also lighter than the R33.

Along these lines a Stagea R260 would be sweet, but these aren't legal until next year and are exceedingly rare. Last I looked there were only a handful available and nothing older than 1998~99. It would be a hard car to find. As cool as a GTR wagon would be, the proportions of the car have not aged well.

Something a little more off of the beaten path. Also, I've wanted something off-road capable and/or a camper for a while. Suzuki Jimny (kei) or Mitsubishi Delica. I think an off-road Delica converted into a camper van would be a ton of fun.

Wrinkles in the plan; licensing. I'm on my international drivers license now, but am planning to try to get my license soon. The test is exceedingly difficult, virtually everyone fails the first time, so I plan to just do the automatic license to have a better chance of getting it. Then I would have to go back and get a manual transmission license to be able to drive whatever I buy here. The reality of all of this lining up is starting to get slimmer; I've got about 6~8 months left over here.

Edited by Trouble Maker

A Mazda Cosmo (came with the 3 rotor stock)or a swapped 3 rotor FD

Just as a matter of fun wonder if they are readily accessible as the rarity over here makes them too expensive.

I had forgoten about that, I did look into them a bit.

I'm about 60% on the styling. The massive B pillar kinda kills it for me, other than that I like it well enough.

I like MTs. I'm not one of those MMTGA homers. Some newer multi speed ATs are quite good, though still not something I really want to own. The idea of an old 4AT from the 90s sounds honestly terrible. The Eunos Cosmo was AT only.

https://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/EUNOS/EUNOS_COSMO/summary.html

Will the R34 be legal to bring over by the time you come home? Or keep it in storage for a few years before shipping back?

What about Subaru Impreza STI coupe? I assume 22B's are hard to come by everywhere, but always loved the late 90's model.

Or just buy some crazy Bozuku truck.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Some great suggestions here. I'm going to think about this one.

My inclination would be something that's stupid cheap relative to the JDM market but really unique to the rest of the world, to make it more justifiable to buy and ship back.

VIP/Toyota Century? Bosozoku? Something already modded?

3pilxk.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

I can't imagine them being more expensive.

But from talking to my coworkers, S2ks are definitely more expensive here, so those other cars could be.

I also see almost zero point in buying something I can get stateside to maybe make or lose a few bucks when I sell it later relatively to just buying it in the US. Just to drive around a JDMRHDYO car in the states?

Supra and NSX, OUT. Well.... maybe an NSX, but I think they are also more expensive here than US but I'm not 100% sure.

Will the R34 be legal to bring over by the time you come home? Or keep it in storage for a few years before shipping back?

Storage is a possibility if I find something I love here. I really don't think I would want to do it for years, and it would probably start to become cost prohibitive. R34s started in 1999, so not legal until 2024. R33s just became legal this year.

What about Subaru Impreza STI coupe? I assume 22B's are hard to come by everywhere, but always loved the late 90's model.

That's a good one to look into, I've also always loved that body style. I've no idea about the availability of them here.

Or just buy some crazy Bozuku truck.

Bosozoku?

I actually think I would pull up to a meet, cars and coffee, some kind of car event, and kill someone. Some old boomer in his C4 corvette, or someone you would see on People of Walmart in their f-body, would have such a shock from seeing it, that fat chunk of vengeance from 10,000 McDonald's meals would finally dislodge and stick in his aorta.

My inclination would be something that's stupid cheap relative to the JDM market but really unique to the rest of the world, to make it more justifiable to buy and ship back.

I kind of lean that way, something cheap and fun. The Jimny or Delica could fill that role. However, at least in my head, there is some perverse economics happening where I think it actually makes sense to spend More. The shipping, etc is likely a relatively fixed cost, baring the size/weight of the vehicle effecting it. So, it would cost me, let's say $5k for a hopefully high estimate, to ship a car. If I buy a $5k car, now I have a $5k car I spent $10k for. Or, I buy a $25k car and now I have a $25k car I spent $30k on. The later feels more palatable, other than spending $30k on a toy. :fa:

Just asking out of curiosity here. Assuming you do find something generally rare in the west. How much of a headache are you giving yourself finding parts to maintain it? I know today's shipping infrastructure is far better than it's ever been, but are you going to have to "overnight parts from Japan" every time you need to do a tuneup? Or does it become a consideration to choose a platform that that has some sort of presence here in the US so you're not trying to maintain something truly obscure.

^^

You know I love the rotary, but I wouldn't bother with it. While you are one who can sort out working on one if needed, there are many other platforms that would be an option first. I like the B22 suggested. Interested to see what availability is and pricing.

Edited by Mojoe

For those of you asking about prices and such, this is a cool site to browse and do some research. Jesse, what area are you in? if i find something i want will you check it out for me? :D

http://www.beforward.jp/

These seem super cool, not to bring back to the states but to tool around over there and get off the beaten path some:

http://www.beforward.jp/mitsubishi/jeep/bg828821/id/1679011/

Edited by Gergwheel

My suggestions:

- Audi RS2 (just became legal so the prices are rising)

- BMW e36 Mtech 325is WAGON (people in the west don't even know these exist - dirt cheap but bimmerphiles would go nuts on BAT)

- 1994-2000 Subaru WRX STi 2 door coupe (see this go for less than $25K - they haven't had the bump like skylines)

- Any 1970's Toyota Corona or crown 2 door fastback (japanese American style muscle cars - we got them here in small numbers, few left)

- EK9 civic type R (this one...may cost you. The ultimate JDM fanboi machine)

- 1997 Alfa GTV v6 turbo (we didn't get these at all, brilliant car with niche following, pretty cheap overseas)

- any toyota with a 2JZ engine that isn't a supra or a lexus (An origin would be awesome but you might have to wait 4 years) <---2JZ no shit

I can't remember the name of the shop, but there is a performance brand over there that is selling off hundreds of their Skylines for reasonable prices. They are even offering to store the cars until they are legal to import to the us (for those that do not meet the 25 year rule yet) for $50/month. Might be worth going to check out if you can find out who is selling the cars.