CoronaVirus

Forrest Gump 9

I will blame the media for a lot of the hysteria. When it's found the lethality rate is actually 1% in the US and not 3-4% (and less than 1% if you consider the Seattle nursing home as its own cluster event), they had an opportunity to say "not as deadly as once thought," instead the headine is "10 times more deadly than the flu!" They spin it exactly the way they need to keep people watching.

We disagree because we are looking at the issue from different perspectives and that's great, we need different perspectives. I don't think this virus is as bad as they say, when Trump said no big deal, it wasn't a big deal. We were at 10,000 cases in the same amount of time that the swine flu had reached 1 million people. That's a big difference. Is that saying it can't reach that number? no, but like I said before NY, CA, WA, and NJ are driving the numbers way up. The real issue is that we're paralleling a really bad seasonal outbreak of H1N1, so combine them and the situation is a lot worse. But if you keep everyone focused on the new exotic disease, then they keep people watching.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice commentary indeed. And RARE, given how quiet many current and former cabinet members are of Trump.

All great points above why people shouldn't be defending Trump's behavior. He has done a number of very good things over the last 3 years, but his presidency will be defined by how he took 2 steps forward and tripped himself 6 steps backward at every turn. He is his own worst enemy, in a country of hard-working, free-thinking people.

I have nothing more to add at this point, and I appreciate the open dialogue. Much love, CR! :).

Oh.....and the swamp isn't drained.

Oh....and RECORD DEFICIT is about to get even more record-er. :D

OK I'm done now.

Clay, you've given great points and I'm glad we could discuss them with civility. You're still my favorite

I will blame the media for a lot of the hysteria.

OK, but... who cares? Hysteria might be why we have no toilet paper. Hysteria is NOT why we don't have enough ventilators. Hysteria is NOT why we we're weeks behind on producing enough test kits. Hysteria is NOT why businesses have been shut down in order to slow the spread. Hysteria is NOT why other country's hospitals are overwhelmed. Hysteria is NOT why global production has been halted, which cratered the markets and is on the verge of pushing us into a recession.

I get that we're looking at it from different perspectives, but I don't understand why some people are so focused on the media's role in hysteria. I mean, just look back 3 weeks into this thread when people were saying this wasn't an issue, just that the media was making it one. Guess what -- those people were wrong. It wasn't just a made up illness. So let's get past this whining about the media. It's not important anymore. The media is not the problem. The virus is the problem, and bad leadership is making that problem worse, and we can talk about that without bringing up the media ever again. Trust me.

I mean, look at this post from just over 3 weeks ago. Just over 2 months before we all forget about this, right fellas?

I hope some of you reflect on this. Maybe Panduh is willing to come in here and say, "Wow, I sure read this one wrong. Maybe I need to be a better consumer of media." Maybe people will take personal responsibility for their ignorance. I dunno.

I bet in 3 months we will forget about this like we did with Zika.

Just live your life, wash your damn hands, stop watching CNN, Fox and reading the circle jerk of reddit.

I guess could anyone a month ago known how many ventilators or n95 mask would be needed?

Where is Nostradamus when you need him??

I think the problem with the media is they are still trying to sensationalize the lack of the above. Even though the media is told daily production is being ramped up the media still pulls old data to make it look like there is a bigger problem with lack of equipment than there truly is.

Also I feel the media goes to where the supplies aren't needed as bad and haven't gone to where the majority of cases are to see if they have what is needed. But that's me.

You can make anything look the way you want..figures lie and liars figure

I mean, look at this post from just over 3 weeks ago. Just over 2 months before we all forget about this, right fellas?

I hope some of you reflect on this. Maybe Panduh is willing to come in here and say, "Wow, I sure read this one wrong. Maybe I need to be a better consumer of media." Maybe people will take personal responsibility for their ignorance. I dunno.

I think what I said is still accurate - but I think it'll be longer than 3 months, maybe 4 months. :gabe:

**I dont think we can just "live your life". That was an ignorant statement. I think we are past that statement. I also dont think we will forget this anytime soon. I dont think what I said was wrong at the time...this whole thing evolved quickly. every single country has been dealing with this. The issues we are seeing aren't isolated to the US.

I think what I said is still accurate - but I think it'll be longer than 3 months, maybe 4 months.

At 4 months we should be about a quarter way through this nightmare.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/03/modeling-study-suggests-18-months-covid-19-social-distancing-much

Both my parents were born during the Spanish flu pandemic which infected one quarter of the world's population and which killed upwards of 50,000,000 people.

From the stories they told me, the world was a pretty scary place by 1933 when they were starting high school. It was the third terrible year of the Great Depression. There was very little work, there was no money, there was sparse food.

Franklin Roosevelt was elected President. In his Inaugural Address in 1933 he said,

"So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself — nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. In every dark hour of our national life a leadership of frankness and of vigor has met with that understanding and support of the people themselves which is essential to victory."

I think we'd all do well to consider those words when we assess the challenges we face in our lives.

FDR went on to lead the U.S. out of the Great Depression, to rally the country after Pearl Harbor, and to help defeat Hitler. He did all these things despite not being able to even walk. Yet he inspired boldness in America's "greatest generation."

I wouldn't argue that we should take foolish risks with our health or the health of others, but neither should we let our own anxieties do a greater harm than the virus is likely to do.