New King of the Hill

Miller

https://www.autoweek.com/news/sports-cars/a34701278/meet-the-new-nurburgring-lap-time-champion/

Mercedes-AMG GT Black Series clocks a 6:43.616 @ Nurburgring and takes the production car record. I took interest in this a few years ago because of the Viper ACR and enjoy watching the big names trade blows for the crown.

1. Mercedes-AMG Black Series - 6:43.616 s

2. Lamborghini Aventador SVJ - 6:44.97s

3. Porsche 911 GT2 RS - 6:47.3s

4. Lamborghini Huracan Performante - 6:52:01s

5. Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991.2) - 6:56.4s

6. Porsche 918 Spyder (Weissach Package) - 6:57s

7. Lamborghini Aventador SV - 6:59.73s

8. Ferrari 488 Pista - 7:00.03s

9. Dodge Viper ACR - 7:01.03s

10. Mercedes-AMG GT R Pro - 7:04.63s

Edited by Miller

clay im going to throw you a curve ball. vw manx. weighs nothing, endless engine combos, and cheaper. for cheaper you could have a k20 turbo(or other engines) with adapter plate, ranchero vw trans or subie with flipped diff, and weighs sub 2k pounds.

The continual progression of ring times is impressive. Not the biggest fan of the Mercedes myself but what it's accomplished is pretty impressive. I enjoyed Misha's breakdown of it's lap on youtube talking about how good the aero really is on the car and pointing out that 6:43 was in conditions where portions of the track were a little damp.

Porsche apparently ran the new 992 GT3 the other day and it seems as though the new "regular" GT3 is going to be quicker than the last iteration of GT3 RS but that means something in the > 6:50 range. N/A cars just can't make up for the power of some of the newer turbo cars no matter how good they are.

Cook some chickn' wangs on the headers.

Last time I was at NCM is was fucking 40 degrees and sprinkling. I took my lunch and put it under the hood on the intake for 15 minutes and enjoyed a hot meal before the next session.

clay im going to throw you a curve ball. vw manx. weighs nothing, endless engine combos, and cheaper. for cheaper you could have a k20 turbo(or other engines) with adapter plate, ranchero vw trans or subie with flipped diff, and weighs sub 2k pounds.

I've looked at VW Buggy's as a tow-behind for my RV...little motorized dinghy to get into/around town once we park at a campsite. Fun runabouts, but not something I'd take on a cruise, racing, long-distance trip or "rally" drive.

However....the KotH uber-car conversation is something that I'd want to invest in one time, and keep for a long time: something like Howard's Supra or Andy's 911 GT3, or Miller's Vepr.

The guy I bought my Volvo wheels from in Dayton had a triple-black, lowered 911 Turbo X50 cab that he let go for $38k...it was not a good time for me (still not TBH) but after that I'm pretty resolved to get into a 10-20year car once the kiddos are older.

Although I've got the GTc and not the Black Edition, I can tell you that it's respectable in the twisties. With the RennTech ECU upgrade the horsepower is pretty close to the Black Edition, although the Black Edition has some aero and suspension enhancements mine doesn't have.

I never got around to making threads of my last 3 Rally North America adventures, but here's the GTc getting ready to lead off some hot laps at Road Atlanta last fall:

hot_laps.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

As a driver with limited track time, I wasn't comfortable doing hot laps with the group of drivers we had, so my buddy Steve Ulfelder, co-founder of Flat Out Motorsports, piloted the Benz for the laps, and he had nothing but praise for it. I took that as a pretty good recommendation, coming from someone with the racing experience Steve has.

Steve.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

All around it's a great driver, although the maintenance costs and tire life put it uncomfortably up in the Supercar range. Alignments are a particular nightmare with the four wheel steering setup.