Tire with a Nail... F*** my life

EtherEg

I got a nail in my brand new Michelin pilot 180 55 17 tire

ive read up on patching it what do you think, i dont want to spend 180$ on a new tire, and saw that patching it with rope/or mushroom would work, its a small nail, roofers, dont know how deep inside though, but its near the middle on the right side, what do you think?

Well tonight i pulled it, and it leaked, i plugged it with a rope style plug. I dont like it, but it holds.

Opinions?

How long should this last? should i only use it to ride to get a tire, or what

Prolly be told that its bad, but same thing happened to me, I plugged it same way, and it doesnt seem like its coming out, at least for the moment. Ive prolly put a few hundred miles on it since Ive plugged it with no problems. Not leaking any air or difference in how it rides from what i can tell. But its up to you if you want to risk riding on it.

At the very least, take the tire off and do a proper plug / patch from the inside of the tire. Those rope plugs can squirt out when under pressure. A plug / patch from the inside won't and will survive average street riding.

If you're an aggresive street rider, might as well suck it up and get a new tire.

^^ what Earache said...

It will leak, especially most of the rope type, it's only a matter of time.

The "mushroom" patch/plug from the inside is a much better patch.

I would just buy a tire. But I can afford these frustrations. I can understand the pain.

But it's also that I've had blow-outs before, and they are no fun.

I would definately recommend getting a new tire. The patch may actually work, but the what if it doesn't part of the equation is what is scary. Your life like anyone else's is worth more than the $180 replacement cost of the new tire. I will even give you employee cost on a new tire just ot help you get it replaced.

I would definately recommend getting a new tire. The patch may actually work, but the what if it doesn't part of the equation is what is scary. Your life like anyone else's is worth more than the $180 replacement cost of the new tire. I will even give you employee cost on a new tire just ot help you get it replaced.

This is the best solution there. I'd get in touch with this guy.:cool: