Building wrecked bike

justin0469

To those of you that have done it; is it worth it?

Looking at the black 05 RC51 at Cycle Search. It's obviously a salvage title, needs both wheels, forks, both side fairings and whole front end (front cowl, headlights, speedo, intake ducting, etc). Looks like eBay has sets of plastics for around $500 (I know they won't fit like OEM but should fit ok). I'm guessing about $2500 to get it up and going, ready for inspection. Doing the work myself isn't a big deal, I'll just be out a bike until it's running. If I can get it for $2500-3k, think it's worth it?

$400 Plastics

$350 Tires

$400 forks

$300 dash

$500 wheels

$500 misc bolts, ducting, etc

hard call man...you'd have around $5k in it, give or take a few bucks, but still have a rebuilt salvage title which is gonna hurt the resale value. Or you could find out on craigslist for between $5.5-6.5k with either low/high miles, probably in great condition.

when i did my 954, i only spent $600 and paid $3200 for the bike with 2K miles. had to get an upper, left side fairing, turn signals, windscreen, fork seals and a left clip on. i only had $200 in a set of plastics my dude had in his garage. turned around and sold it a year later for $4500

Kinda what I was thinking. When I talked to Justin of Cycle Search, that's what I said - by the time it's rebuilt I'll have a bike with a rebuilt title for the same price that I could have bought a clean 03 RC51 for. I guess that's why they have bikes for so long....

I'd try to find a bike on ebay...salvage title. My guess is you'll find a better deal. Sorry Cycle Search. I scan your website for salvaged bikes and there are no good deals.

Good deals are available to Ohio Riders even though not listed. We can't give our absolutely lowest price as our asking price can we? I don't mind giving to people on here when they ask, but otherwise people are going to try to neotiate no matter what. I could put free on the bikes and someone would ask how much I would pay to have them take it. That is human nature.

Good deals are available to Ohio Riders even though not listed. We can't give our absolutely lowest price as our asking price can we? I don't mind giving to people on here when they ask, but otherwise people are going to try to neotiate no matter what. I could put free on the bikes and someone would ask how much I would pay to have them take it. That is human nature.

i'd take it with no questions asked... :D

It's true. The problem, I think, is that the bikes you have are probably worth close to what you are asking just in parts, but people aren't looking for parts bikes, they want to fix it and ride it. To make them street legal again it costs so much a lower selling price is expected. I still plan on coming by this week, maybe Friday to check out the RC and a few other bikes you have and maybe some numbers can be talked. It can be tricky though because total investment price (purchase + repairs) need to be significantly lower than private party retail for the same thing with clean title. In the RC's case, that'll be hard to do since they are going for between $5500-6k and it needs about $2k-2500 in repair (if Jason was accurate in the list of repairs needed that aren't shown in the photos). Maybe less if you have salvage parts in your yard like forks and wheels.

I understand you guys need to make a profit and can't give the bikes away. I just know looking at the website and seeing the prices that I don't even want to begin the negotiations. With dealerships...you start high and work low. With ebay...you start low and work high. My point...your advertisements don't even capture my interests.

i'd take it with no questions asked... :D

Good to know someone out there is an easy sale on a free motorcycle. :D

I can understand everyone's point of cost vs. total value. Another way people use salvage bikes is to pickup something they wouldn't be able to get all the cash for, but can build it over time as cash becomes available. Doesn't work for everyone. No one should be afraid of making an offer toward any of our bike regardless of asking price. I am not going to hate you for it. It is your job as the consumer to get the best deal. So to anyone who is afraid of making offers, bring them on. You might be suprised.

Good to know someone out there is an easy sale on a free motorcycle. :D

I can understand everyone's point of cost vs. total value. Another way people use salvage bikes is to pickup something they wouldn't be able to get all the cash for, but can build it over time as cash becomes available. Doesn't work for everyone. No one should be afraid of making an offer toward any of our bike regardless of asking price. I am not going to hate you for it. It is your job as the consumer to get the best deal. So to anyone who is afraid of making offers, bring them on. You might be suprised.

my buddy just picked up a 08 cbr 600. wonderful guys to work with. and the price.. well lets just say the bike came home with us the day we went up there.