Spark plug wire question

Likwid

I was going to check my spark plug, so I was holding the spark plug boot and wiggling it and the wire going into the boot pulled right out....

I've researched online and I THINK this is ok.... I put the wire back on and started the engine then felt the valve cover and it feels like it's firing... and I touched the boot and got a nice little shock....

Can anyone weigh in? Do I have a major problem?

It's not the boot that's loose, it's the wire going into the boot.

But it sounds from your post that to pull the boot off you'd have to pull that wire out anyway so it still sounds like I don't have a problem? Can you confirm?

Aha, thanks! I went ahead and tried what you suggested... the only odd thing was that the wire didn't appear to have anything that screwed, so I imagine the threaded portion is just to hold the wire in.

But that seemed to do it, the wire seems much tighter, and luckily the valve still feels like it's firing from touching the head.

Thanks Dustin, if you were closer I would be making you my full time mechanic!

Nope there is nothing on the wire that has a thread.

The thread inside of the plug boot is tapered. So it's just threading into the wire/rubber on the plug wire. It just creates a secure connection between the two so it can't be pulled apart, as easily, or come apart while riding.