Trooper Clocked at 147!!!

jporter12

Having this trooper do traffic enforcement after getting caught doing 147mph is a bit like having the fox guarding the chicken coop.

Unfortunately, theres not much more he can do or be placed in. OSHP is primarily a traffic enforcement entity, so its hard to reassign someone to a place that doesn't really exist....like you would find in a normal police department. So they took him off the bike and put him back in a car as a pre punishment.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, theres not much more he can do or be placed in. OSHP is primarily a traffic enforcement entity, so its hard to reassign someone to a place that doesn't really exist....like you would find in a normal police department. So they took him off the bike and put him back in a car as a pre punishment.

If he loses his driver's license then he can't even do that. Desk duty? Work from home?

Maybe he can telecommute. When the plane catches you speeding he'll call you from his house and ream you out for it.

You know the next step... You get home from a spirited ride and you'll get a call from an Indian call center; "Hello, this is Jupreet from the Ohio State Patrol... You are a very very bad man! Your fine will be $150. Please to be giving me your credit card number."

Edited by Scruit

I heard tonight that there has been two different high speed events. Checking...

edit: ehhh, two of them yes, but they were together when speeding.

It took four days to charge one, and eight days for the other.

That gave the impression that it was two separate events.

http://www.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/local/article/off-duty_trooper_accused_of_driving_147_mph/19065/

Edited by ReconRat

I heard tonight that there has been two different high speed events. Checking...

edit: ehhh, two of them yes, but they were together when speeding.

It took four days to charge one, and eight days for the other.

That gave the impression that it was two separate events.

http://www.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/local/article/off-duty_trooper_accused_of_driving_147_mph/19065/

The sob pleaded "not guilty" to speeding charge. WTF?

Well, since this is an entirely different topic then, let me repost my comment about this guy here:

On ABC 6 they said the Gahanna cop, Christopher Thomas, has been on injury leave since December of last year. He was injured on duty. How was he injured you ask? Um, he slipped on ice. He's been on paid leave since this horrific and no doubt traumatizing accident. LOL.

:rolleyes: I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

I so would do the same thing! Wouldn't you?:beathorse:

Not really. Seeing the media coverage its gotten I think it would have been best for him (and his department) to own up to his mistake,

admit wrong doing and take what ever he gets.

Not really. Seeing the media coverage its gotten I think it would have been best for him (and his department) to own up to his mistake' date=' admit wrong doing and take what ever he gets.[/quote']

Also known as "throwing yourself to the lions", it is perhaps the greatest honor a citizen can give his emperor, other than actually fighting the lion with inadequate weapons. (The Roman Coliseum Event Handbook - 80AD):D

Not really. Seeing the media coverage its gotten I think it would have been best for him (and his department) to own up to his mistake' date='

admit wrong doing and take what ever he gets.[/quote']

If he pleads guilty, he won't have a job anymore. If he pleads not guilty, and gets it kicked out on a technicality... he can keep his job. Remember, you don't have to prove a damn thing... the state has to prove beyond a shadow of a reasonable doubt that, a crime was committed, that you are being charged wit the appropriate crime and that you were the one who committed the crime to a jury. 100% sure to be screwed or 90% likely to be screwed? I would take my chances too.

If he pleads guilty, he won't have a job anymore. If he pleads not guilty, and gets it kicked out on a technicality... he can keep his job. Remember, you don't have to prove a damn thing... the state has to prove beyond a shadow of a reasonable doubt that, a crime was committed, that you are being charged wit the appropriate crime and that you were the one who committed the crime to a jury. 100% sure to be screwed or 90% likely to be screwed? I would take my chances too.

:plus1: roll the dice

Huh... I'm pretty sure that was NOT the case when I went to court.

No dash video

No paced speed

No clocked speed

Charged with reckless operation and failure to comply. I had to pay my ticket down.. proof had shit to do with it.

dont piss off your local 5-0 next time?:dunno:

Update from nbc4 - this really gets my goat man...

http://www.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/local/article/osp_video_off-duty_trooper_officer_ticketed_for_speeding/19172/

NEWARK, Ohio—The Ohio State Highway Patrol released video Friday after an off-duty trooper and off-duty officer were ticketed for allegedly driving nearly 150 mph on an interstate highway.

NBC 4’s Patrick Preston reported with the FAST FACTS.

An OSP radar plane clocked the men allegedly going those speeds, and troopers made the traffic stop.

The video was taken by two troopers’ cruisers.

Authorities said off-duty state trooper Jason Highsmith, 35, was clocked going 147 mph on Interstate 70, east of Columbus, where the speed limit is 65 mph.

Authorities said Christopher Thomas, 33, was clocked going 149 mph on I-70.

The incident happened Sunday, June 28.

Thomas has been on injured leave from the Gahanna police department since last December after he slipped and fell on ice.

Thomas continues to receive pay and benefits, including vacation time.

It took four days for troopers to issue Highsmith a ticket and eight days for Thomas.

Highsmith entered a plea of not guilty before Licking County Municipal Court Judge David Branstool Wednesday.

Thomas was expected in court next week.

4 days and 8 days to issue tickets?? Yea that would happen to any one of us. Oh and one guy was on injured leave since december and still collects pay, benefits, and vacation time?? No wonder the city/state don't have any damn money and want to raise taxes!

Unbelievable. :mad:

What if he slipped and fell on ice after tackling and cuffing a known pedophile? Then would it be less objectionable?

If he's good enough to ride his bike 140+ mph on the highway he's good enough to sit behind a desk and do some damn work! 7 months full pay and benefits with no work? Would your job do that?? I know mine wouldn't and I have a pretty good job.