7/28 - FlUCK IT, LET"S RIDE - Columbus

XB12Ss

With the ride last week and the subsequent talk surrounding it... Fuck it boys, let's do it again.

I have obligations sometime after 5pm and would like to put down some significant mileage (300 or so), so I'd like an earlier start time... perhaps meet at 9:30ish and leave by 10am?

If that doesn't dissuade anyone, I'd also like to set some clear expectations that I have for all rides:

1) Cruising speed will be a comfortable sub-80mph speed. Generally 65-75ish. Triple digits totally unnecessary and honestly, very much discouraged.

2) Whoever leads should be among the most skilled and familiar with the roads. Discussions on who this would be must be mature and ego-free. I'd vote EagledriverDRZ if he is willing and available.

3) Signals, hand and otherwise, should be discussed and agreed upon before we go.

4) Leaders and followers should be designated as best as possible before the ride begins, preferably with a focus on skill level. Throughout the ride it may become evident that the order is not as effective as it could be, and passes may be made.

5) Assured clear distance should be observed and recognized. Staggered formation.

6) Speed encouraged where it is an actual challenge... In the turns. Scrub those chicken strips boys!

7) Ride your own ride. I repeat... RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE. Once roads become familiar (like if we repeat the route back or repeat the ride another day/weekend)... Rip them twisties as best you can... DO NOT worry about keeping up.

8) Predetermined stopping/resting points, or at least preferences, should be discussed. Eating at KFC sucks (though I must admit, it tasted pretty damn good).

9) Ride your own ride. This one always bears repeating again, again, and again.

10) Most important... Ride Safe. Keep yourself safe AND KEEP EVERYONE ELSE SAFE TOO!!! Limit the shenanigans to an absolute minimum.

If you are down... cool. If you are not... cool. Not everyone has the same expecations and/or ideals for what constitutes a fun ride. Some may want to run the ton... others may want to stunt... others may want to cruise...

I want to improve my skills in the twisties... Eventually, I want to drag a knee. Those are my goals. To achieve those goals I practice and observe others... Group rides are good for both. Maybe I can learn from you, maybe you can learn from me. If you are like minded, let's do it...

Anything anyone wants to add or comment on would surely be appreciated.

If that doesn't dissuade anyone, I'd also like to set some clear expectations that I have for all rides:

6) Speed encouraged where it is an actual challenge... In the turns. Scrub those chicken strips boys!

7) Ride your own ride. I repeat... RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE. Once roads become familiar (like if we repeat the route back or repeat the ride another day/weekend)... Rip them twisties as best you can... DO NOT worry about keeping up.

If you are down... cool. If you are not... cool. Not everyone has the same expecations and/or ideals for what constitutes a fun ride. Some may want to run the ton... others may want to stunt... others may want to cruise...

I want to improve my skills in the twisties... Eventually, I want to drag a knee. Those are my goals. To achieve those goals I practice and observe others... Group rides are good for both. Maybe I can learn from you, maybe you can learn from me. If you are like minded, let's do it...

These are the only ones that I would have problems with and the reason i havent tried to ride w you guys yet.. Group riding by definition is not racing

or knee dragging practice and If the cruisers or slower cornering bikes are along they wont be for long... This can get someone hurt... If you want to ride this way then thats fine with me but I cannot and will not come with.

I guess we need a cruiser or group rider thread! Sorry, dont mean to be a dick but thats the way i feel about it and im sure im not alone.

These are the only ones that I would have problems with and the reason i havent tried to ride w you guys yet.. Group riding by definition is not racing

or knee dragging practice and If the cruisers or slower cornering bikes are along they wont be for long... This can get someone hurt... If you want to ride this way then thats fine with me but I cannot and will not come with.

I guess we need a cruiser or group rider thread! Sorry, dont mean to be a dick but thats the way i feel about it and im sure im not alone.

You are absolutely right. Your ideal ride, is not mine. Understand though that the 'getting to know you' portion of the ride will not be excessively fast, especially in the turns. A leisurely cruise until everyone feels comfortable with the roads and eachother... Then it's about riding within everyone's expecations and your limits.

Not being a dick at all... again, your ride is not mine... If someone wanted to organize a cruise... I might go... I would be sure to ride within expecations for the ride.

You are absolutely right. Your ideal ride, is not mine. Understand though that the 'getting to know you' portion of the ride will not be excessively fast, especially in the turns. A leisurely cruise until everyone feels comfortable with the roads and eachother... Then it's about riding within everyone's expecations and your limits.

Not being a dick at all... again, your ride is not mine... If someone wanted to organize a cruise... I might go... I would be sure to ride within expecations for the ride.

Well I like to throw it through the corners like any other rider but thats done when you are by yourself and not in a group. I have seen too many group rides turn into group piles because someone got frisky and lost control taking out the whole group.

P.S. I am riding w my father-in-law down st rt 33 as far as we can go on sunday. Sorry but I would love to go with you guys but I already have plans.

Cruisers or 65mph sport bikes are welcome (250cc or smaller)

Well I like to throw it through the corners like any other rider but thats done when you are by yourself and not in a group. I have seen too many group rides turn into group piles because someone got frisky and lost control taking out the whole group.

P.S. I am riding w my father-in-law down st rt 33 as far as we can go on sunday. Sorry but I would love to go with you guys but I already have plans.

Cruisers or 65mph sport bikes are welcome (250cc or smaller)

Assured clear distance... Ripping through the twisties with 10-15 bike lengths at least... No passing in the corners...

So I am not welcome on my Sportster engined sportbike?

Assured clear distance... Ripping through the twisties with 10-15 bike lengths at least... No passing in the corners...

So I am not welcome on my Sportster engined sportbike?

Well we could make an exception for you If you behave....:D

With the ride last week and the subsequent talk surrounding it... Fuck it boys, let's do it again.

I have obligations sometime after 5pm and would like to put down some significant mileage (300 or so), so I'd like an earlier start time... perhaps meet at 9:30ish and leave by 10am?

1) Cruising speed will be a comfortable sub-80mph speed. Generally 65-75ish. Triple digits totally unnecessary and honestly, very much discouraged.

2) Whoever leads should be among the most skilled and familiar with the roads. Discussions on who this would be must be mature and ego-free. I'd vote EagledriverDRZ if he is willing and available.

3) Signals, hand and otherwise, should be discussed and agreed upon before we go.

4) Leaders and followers should be designated as best as possible before the ride begins, preferably with a focus on skill level. Throughout the ride it may become evident that the order is not as effective as it could be, and passes may be made.

5) Assured clear distance should be observed and recognized. Staggered formation.

8) Predetermined stopping/resting points, or at least preferences, should be discussed. Eating at KFC sucks (though I must admit, it tasted pretty damn good).

10) Most important... Ride Safe. Keep yourself safe AND KEEP EVERYONE ELSE SAFE TOO!!! Limit the shenanigans to an absolute minimum.

I dont understand all of your expectations. You want to rip the twisties...but what speed limit is acceptable? some folks can 'rip the twisties' at triple digits. i dont see why you're setting an acceptable speed limit. you're going to break the ohio speed limit law obviously....so why are you stating no triple digits? if others want to speed and you dont...see rule 3 below.

Here's the rule of group riding...

1. Faster riders, whether skilled/safe/experienced/squid in the front...

2. Do whatever you feel is 'safe'...just keep your distance from others in the group so you only kill yourself...no one else.

3. Wait for the slower riders at any intersection where a decision is to be made.

Other than that...there are no rules when posting a ride on a public board.

I dont understand all of your expectations. You want to rip the twisties...but what speed limit is acceptable? some folks can 'rip the twisties' at triple digits. i dont see why you're setting an acceptable speed limit. you're going to break the ohio speed limit law obviously....so why are you stating no triple digits? if others want to speed and you dont...see rule 3 below.

2. Do whatever you feel is 'safe'...just keep your distance from others in the group so you only kill yourself...no one else.

3. Wait for the slower riders at any intersection where a decision is to be made.

It's not about staying legal and whatnot, it's about being safe... err... safer. Once you start into triple digits things can get out of hand VERY quickly. I've seen it and it's ugly. That's not to say bad things cannot and do not happen at lower speeds, but the likelihood falls off dramatically the slower you go. 80ish has been, at least in my experience, the point in which the danger levels grow exponentially. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Further, you are correct... There is no official rule book for posting a ride on a public board. However, I have set expecations for the type of ride I prefer. If others do not want that sort of ride, not a big deal... I ride solo most times anyway. If others are like-minded, great... everyone should be comfortable.

Nothing was wrong with the ride we took, with the exception of Bret going down... and that happens. Some things made me uncomfortable, but I never felt like anyone was out of control or really putting anyone else in danger. It just wasn't my ideal kind of ride.

• 1 year later...

+1 Enjoy yourself, keep with the group in general, no collateral damage. What more could anyone want in a group ride? (besides boobs, damnit)