Upcoming Tar Hollow Ride

buildit

This is a group dual sport ride I've been working on for a while. Went to Tar Hollow today and put 107 miles on the YZ426 (it's dual sported and street legal) checking the tracks and seeing what would make a good ride. This will have everything! Paved, gravel, dirt, single track, hill climbs, mud (if we get rain:p), creek bed riding and even a river crossing!

The Date and meet up is AUG 9th at 10 am at the gas station located in Laurelville at the intersection of 180 and 56. Till then here's some of the video from today.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai6CZyvcTCE

Edited by buildit

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this an AMA ride or something you are putting on yourself? Where is it based outa? Any ideas on a date?

No AMA, putting this on myself as a group ride. The start will be out of Laurelville and will wind around towards McCarthur and end at Tar Hollow SP below the Dam. Right now Aug 9th is looking like the date but that won't be official till after VMD.:)

KTMRIDER it would be a shame to leave your other bike at home by itself I could ride the 950 around in the back of the pack for support. Can I please?

Only if it's a 950 SE, I don't wanna be hauling any 950 adventures out of the mud. Been there, done that. :D

I haven't been on a dual sport since KTMRIDER sent me off to Arkansas with his 625. Great time but it was also my first time, those boys wore me out, and I think it was 2004. Street riding does not necessarily make you a dual sport rider and I displayed many rookie mistakes for the veterans to chuckle about. This shows how much I know I assumed a 950 adventurer would be just fine, the 625 worked for me the last time.

Yeah, in general when guys start laying down the bucks for a KTM they are pretty serious about their riding.

In so much as I don't wanna scare anyone off, this is not an enduro ride. Trails are not marked, but the week before I can e-mail a GPS route to those who want one. This is a group ride and there will be novices and experienced riders together, so if your "that good" try to help out those who arn't. :) I'll try to keep a good pace and will wait for the last guy to make it at turns. As we often say, "No child left behind".

I'll have a freind of mine play sweep.

Date of ride AUG 9th

Where? At the gas station in Laurelville. It's at the intersection of 56 and 180.

Bring $ for lunch and some good dual sport tires on your bike. Nothing less than a 50-50 tire unless your just "that good". :) This ride is in support of Cavemanriders.com and it would be appreciated if attendies considered visiting the site and maybe even join if interested in what they have to offer.

Unk-Punk.... If you thought the 290 lb 625 was a handfull off road.... a 460lb 950 would be misery.... Not to mention real expensive for me:p. You forget there are now 2 offroad worthy steeds in my barn.... Why not join us and ride the TWO-FIDDY? 220 pounds, Rekluse clutch and brand new real knobbies. It needs to be ridden:D

Date of ride AUG 9th

Where? At the gas station in Laurelville. It's at the intersection of 56 and 180.

Bring $ for lunch and some good dual sport tires on your bike. Nothing less than a 50-50 tire unless your just "that good". :) This ride is in support of Cavemanriders.com and it would be appreciated if attendies considered visiting the site and maybe even join if interested in what they have to offer.

How many miles you got this logged at?

I miss my dual sport. Had a Suzuki dr350se for about 2 years but mostly used it for commuting to/from work and the occasional riding on land I shouldn't. Never had much chance to go ride with people that knew what they were doing. (I think it was generally too big for me anywho, next time I'm gonna look at a 250.)

Have fun y'all.

How would you rate this ride compared to one of the AMA D/S rides down there? I've done most of the different rides in So-Ohio.

Aside from the rape shower you have to take afterwards, about the same.

Best not to stop, don't fall for the "Oh help me pick my bike up" trick. Ask me how I know.

;)

Aside from the rape shower you have to take afterwards, about the same.

Best not to stop, don't fall for the "Oh help me pick my bike up" trick. Ask me how I know.

;)

Hey, that's your own fault for bringing the DL1000 down.:rolleyes:

In comparison to other DS rides this should be easier, more open trails, a bit more time on roads and less private property. If you know the area and have riden it you also know weather plays a big roll in how hard the trails are. A little rain can change hard pack into some slick shit real fast!:) For people new to the area it will be a great intro, to those who know the area they'll see some old favorites.