Rider Down or Wear Gear! or RIDE AT YOUR OWN PACE

Cheech

Just came back from wrecking on the way to the Coshocton ride.

Before I get started with the myriad of ways I was an idiot, I want to take this time to acknowledge the EXTREMELY kind couple that picked me back up and hauled my bike back 45 minutes out of their way. I thank you in ways too large to be put into words. Also the Newark medics were awesome, even though I thankfully didn't need any of their assistance. More on that later.

I was 2nd to last position in the group, and we got split up by a Grand Marquis that was going 20 miles an hour. Everyone passed it but me and one other guy. After we passed, I started to get on it trying to catch up (MISTAKES 1-99), then hit what looked like a blind left sweeper going WAY too hot. Turned out the sweeper decreased radius, I would have known this if I had known the road (MISTAKES 100-199). Not enough lean angle vs. speed, due to lack of road knowledge and lack of riding ability (MISTAKES 200-infinity) Lowsided directly into the guardrail, bike ended up wedged in between the guardrail steel and the ground.

Bike will almost certainly be totaled, which will make it the first time I've totaled anything in my life.

Front forks / suspension are completely destroyed.

Either the front end is pushed down, or the headlight sub-assembly is pushed up.

Massive plastics damage, undercowl plastics snapped off. Front fender snapped off.

Engine will not start - starting motor spins just great, but engine will not turn over.

Gear handled beautifully. Firstgear textile jacket is still in one piece, armor

def. saved my right elbow. Sixsixone knee pads worked beautifully. Even though I had no hip protection, one of the points of impact happened to be my right hip which contained my metal wallet. Took all the force, popped ou the rear clip (no small task), and saved my bacon. Scorpion EXO-400 helmet took a little abrasion on the visor pivot, due to the impact I'd say it's time for a new one. Absolutely zero road rash anywhere, and I'd say I went down at about 30MPH.

Lessons learned:

Understand the skill level of people you are riding with, and the level of riding you will be doing. Riding in a group to Cold Stone after a OR meet is radically different than riding for keeps in the middle of nowhere. I guess I've never disassosciated the two until now.

Understand the performance level of all the bikes in the group, and how they equate to yours. If they decide to grab a handful of throttle, how far apart will they be when you do the same? How much faster and out of your pace will you have to ride to catch up with them? Is that out of your confort zone?

Gear.

Pace.

Gear again.

Pace again.

As wrecks go, this was a good one made better with the help of some extremely kind fellow motorcyclists. I'll be back on in no time, sooner if BornSinner and I hook up to get my front stand from him... :)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a rider went down, but had no clue it was you...Wow Cheech!! Soo glad you are ok and thanks for telling us your story. EVERYONE can learn from these things. Was it the new bike?

ooooooooo no. :) The 600rr is waiting on some parts, need to overhaul the brakes, new tires, and new battery. Definitely not ready for prime-time, and certainly not ready for that.

The only thing that sucks is I just started to hit the twisties. The guy that brought me back said there was a 90 degree turn just ahead of where I punched out, so if that turn didn't scare me enough I might have bought it there.

ooooooooo no. :) The 600rr is waiting on some parts, need to overhaul the brakes, new tires, and new battery. Definitely not ready for prime-time, and certainly not ready for that.

The only thing that sucks is I just started to hit the twisties. The guy that brought me back said there was a 90 degree turn just ahead of where I punched out, so if that turn didn't scare me enough I might have bought it there.

wow dude that's crazy.... so happy you are ok and can still eat wings! :D

Glad to hear your OK and you was wearing the gear. Too many times I see people in sandals/shorts/teeshirt with passengers nonetheless!

Hopefully your insurance co is quick and you can be bike shopping by tomorrow!

Unless I find something I absolutely can't pass up (maybe I should have another thread in Bike Shop... :) ) I don't think I'm going to get another one. You can only ride one bike at a time, and it was getting a little cramped in the garage with all the toys around.

Unless I find something I absolutely can't pass up (maybe I should have another thread in Bike Shop... :) ) I don't think I'm going to get another one. You can only ride one bike at a time, and it was getting a little cramped in the garage with all the toys around.

Dual-Sports rock 'ya know...

:D

Thats why I always run the road behind someone who knows it, or I ride through first to check the gravel spots. I might know 188 like the back of my hand, but even today, riding solo, I still took my first run through slower then usual so I could find the gravel spots. Not to mention everyone was mowing today so grass everywhere on the road.

Glad to hear you are okay, I'd say once again gear saved a rider.... Todays ride for me was basically to get used to running with mirror blockoffs and my new suit/armor etc. Love the way everything fits, once the gloves get broke in a bit they ll be a little nicer.

Go grab the other bike and get out real fast mang, just a quick ride to set the mind back straight, or.... grab a beer and watch the Brickyard.

Glad we could help, and your ok............Best lesson WEAR GEAR !!!! Also helps to know the road....nice of the OR people to wait, or come back, and check on you (another lesson learned)

Glad we could help, and your ok............Best lesson WEAR GEAR !!!! Also helps to know the road....nice of the OR people to wait, or come back, and check on you (another lesson learned)

I did see a text message on my phone at 10:40, I didn't think anyone had my number out there so I never thought to look.

I bet you're getting tired of hearing this from me, but I can't tell you thanks enough. If there's anything I can ever do for you, just ask.

Gald to hear you were geared up. The bike can and will be replaced, as should your gear. Some lessons in humilty are expensive, but at least yours only cost you an insurance claim. I think we've all been there, or at least close at some point.

sucks you wrecked. hopefully you can get your gear replaced & upgrade it.

did you go down on 541?

79 north. We were on there for maybe 5-10 minutes. Talk about blowing your wad early... :D

Damn dude, glad your ok. I can totally relate to the "catch up" mentality - its how I wrecked. Good thing is you're ok, you're bike/gear can be replaced, and you can ride again with the new found understanding of "riding your own ride".